Keto Travel Food Advice Needed - 2 Week Trip Limited Access

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
thavinds
New User
New User

Re: Keto Travel Food Advice Needed - 2 Week Trip Limited Access

Post by thavinds »

Hello

Are there any sustenances that you totally would not eat?
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

I’ve done a lot of unexpected traveling this summer and learned a few things along the way.

First, I pack the making for bulletproof coffee. Powdered mct and ghee make for a good fat Keto jump start to the day. It’s a simple replacement for otherwise carb laden breakfasts. I use a hand frothed from IKEA to blend it all. If you want protein add collagen powder to it.

Second, I took kind bars and similar bars that were high in fats and proteins. I relaxed on staying in ketosis and focused instead on keeping my eating window wherever possible and filled most of the day with good fats and proteins as much as possible. Nuts, seeds and good snack options.

Third, if eating breads I found dousing them in good oils helps. I’m not sure why but I’m not having the same reaction I usually do. So if you find that is an option where you’re going, try it.

And I agree—relax and enjoy your trip. Stay on track where you can but enjoy yourself too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

Also, I’ve found that upon returning if I spend two days on anti-inflammatory green smoothies my body recovers right back to where it was and I can slip right back into my ketoflex routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

thavinds wrote:Hello

Are there any sustenances that you totally would not eat?
Hello thavinds and Welcome to the community. If you haven't had the chance to poke around yet, I believe that you will find this site to be a valuable wealth of information.

For a quick lesson on how to navigate this site click here. There are tips on Posting, Replying, Personal Messaging, Searching for information, Finding active topics, and more.

Stavia's Primer and the Wiki are great resources to learn more about diet and lifestyle strategies.

When you get a moment, we'd love to get to know you and what brought you here. The forum to post your story in is Our Stories.

In regards to what not eat, I stay away from all processed foods and sugar as a rule. My system doesn't do well with grains and dairy either. This section in the Primer is a great resource about food.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
laureleastman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by laureleastman »

Sharing an interesting eating while traveling discussion. This is Autoimmune Paleo (AIP) based but there are some good ideas that can cross over to the Ketoflex 12/3 eaters on the road.

https://www.phoenixhelix.com/2015/08/15 ... eo-travel/

As I get more trips under my belt I'm more and more confident about how to stick with the program on the road. This winter we did a 2 week ski/snowkite road trip staying in motels. I was able to prepare every single meal at "home." No restaurants meant I could enjoy high quality ingredients I've become accustomed to! A lot more microwaving than I usually do (which is none) but it was great.
4/4
LBKnudson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LBKnudson »

As I explained in another thread, for a long time I have been dehydrating, powdering and capsuling kale, spinach, parsley and broccoli plus a few other odd things. It would be a snap to take them on a trip. They don't take up much space and are very light.