Please be careful with hypothermia

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
karelena
Contributor
Contributor

Please be careful with hypothermia

Post by karelena »

I have been reading some posts about inducing hypothermia as another potential therapy for preventing Alzheimers and promoting a more healthy metabolism. Yes, there are studies about decreasing insulin resistance and increasing a host of other metabolic markers that are associated with longevity. But there is also a cost, in that it can very easily cause cardiac arrhythmias and arrest, especially with cold water baths which cool the body much faster than cold air. Immersion in a cold water bath of 50 degrees F can cause cardiac arrest in 1 hour. It is faster if there is very little body fat, in the case of people who go on prolonged fasts or typically fast up to 22 hours per day. Yes, the brown fat will be increased with repeated hypothermia (which helps keep body temp up by increased metabolism) but if total fat is very low brown fat is also very low.

One of the first symptoms of hypothermia is mental confusion, which makes the practice even more dangerous.

As a critical care physician I have taken care of accidental cold water immersion victims and I assure you it can be deadly, and even if not there can be consequences to vital organs.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Please be careful with hypothermia

Post by Jan »

Thank you, karelena ... good advice to consider carefully.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Post by McGido »

I never really thought of this. I only take cold showers which I assume is safe but was wanting to get into doing cold baths and I have very low body fat. Never really consider the potential risk! Thanks for posting.
rianlees
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rianlees »

Appreciate you raising awareness of the potential issues.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

My opinion is CT (cold thermogenisis) should be approached slowly. Agree with Karolina that hypothermia can be very dangerous (and potentially fatal).

I've been training with CT for a number of years, starting with putting my face in ice water to induce the mammalian dive reflex, then going to longer cold showers, then to 20 minute (or longer) baths at 49 deg F. I've had afib since 2004 and it is vagally mediated (what cold can do to you). Am very aware of any irregularities in my heart rhythm (& I routinely test with an ECG device at home). One time, when 3 days fasted (which will lower core temp). noticed a few PAC's (premature atrial contractions) when I started in a 49 deg F (9.5 deg C) bath. Decided not to persist that day and the next day (4 days fasted) did a slower start. Put my face in the water for 30 seconds, then sat in the water up to my navel for 30 seconds. Did not (and have not subsequently) had any PAC's. Once adapted, it is not a big deal (most aren't adapted). Twenty minutes of immersion in 49 deg water brings very light shivering (I well know other stages of shivering). Recently I shoveled snow on a very large area in shorts (no shirt) and bare feet with no gloves or hat in 17 deg F weather. Probably about 45 minutes. This is possible IF you are adapted.

I don't recommend anyone else do this without learning how to adapt and doing it properly and slowly.
Tincup
E3,E4