Memory strategies, aids and techniques to learn now

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Memory strategies, aids and techniques to learn now

Post by shacherry »

I wanted to share with my fellow E4's some memory strategies from 6 weeks of cognitive remediation therapy. (FYI, my insurance paid for these services since a doctor prescribed it after I felt my memory had slipped)

The occupational therapist told me if people at risk for dementia like myself formed habits using these skills and our memory was to decline we would have less trouble with memory loss symptoms and longer independence. I've embraced these practices and the sense of control they give me.

TIP
Improve concentration
[*]slow your roll (stop rushing)
[*]reduce distractions
(when I am working on my computer I ask my family to turn down or turn off the TV)
(when driving new places I turn off the radio and avoid talking with other people in the car)
[*]Do one thing at a time

TIP
[*]Keep your keys in the same place. Hook them or place them in the same basket once arriving home. This eliminates guessing where you left your keys.

TIP
Write it down
[*] Use a smartphone calendar app and note-taking app
[*] If you are like me and prefer seeing a calendar on the page bring a planner with you everywhere. JUST ONE planner, not a big one for home and a small one for your pocketbook.
I keep lined paper in my planner and use it to make notes and lists
[*] Aid recall with pictures of objects in your notes

TIP
Learn internal memory techniques
[*]Make associations by connecting new information with past experiences
[*]Make mental pictures in your head
[*]Organize the information into chunks; this is good when needing to remember phone numbers
[*]Use a visualization technique developed by the ancient Greeks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_loci
If I want to remember a list of things I might need at the grocery store I visualize the objects in my house in locations that make sense. When I get to the store and need to retrieve that information, I spot the objects in my mind's eye as I walk through my house.

I also use this memory aid when parking my car in a garage in New York City. I put the parking stub in my coat jacket and visualize myself opening my coat closet and seeing myself place the ticket in my jacket. I have never forgotten where I put that stub since using this technique.

To be continued....
ApoE 3/4
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Memory strategies, aids and techniques to learn now

Post by Nancy »

:) THANK YOU!! These are great tips