Quick question how to lower Homocysteine

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Quick question how to lower Homocysteine

Post by Julie G »

But if Johns Hopkins researchers did and I know I have mild small vessel disease and heart disease and a high RA factor with rheumatoid arthritis I might as well do the work to lower my level!
You have extra motivation for working on your homocysteine, shacherry. Good for you!
Julie, the wiki suggests methylfolate and methyl-B12, TMG (and choline) and B6 third. If you'd like me to move the B6 in front of the TMG, can do. I had my reasons, but if you want to reflect Bredesen's preferences I can.
I think our information needs to be consistent in both the short recommendations (Primer) and deep dive (Wiki.) Of course, Dr. Bredesen defers to David Smith (Oxford) and Helga Refsum (university of Oslo) as the thought leaders on homocysteine as it relates to cognitive decline and they do consistently point to B12, folate & B6 as primary steps. You can see a recent paper here.
I'm currently researching more about when folate and B12 don't help or cause other problems. Ben Lynch and Chris Masterjohn are both recommending choline and creatine to ease the burden on folate for methyl groups. In fact Lynch claims that creatine can make a difference for people intolerant of folates. I'll probably be in there one of these days to edit anyway after I dig a bit more.
Really interesting. This is so complex and so many factors play into getting this right. You'll appreciate that Smith & Refsum are quick to point out the U shaped curve with vitamins B supplementation. It's very helpful for those who are deficient and may be harmful for those with higher levels. Additionally, it only shows efficacy in addressing cognitive decline in folks with levels >10µmol/L and in the presence of adequate Omega-3s. That said, Bredesen's team has found increased abeta at levels >6µmol/L so I understand their wanting to be more aggressive, but this appears to be an area where a deep understanding and context matter... a lot. I trust you to make the Primer (our concise guide) and Wiki reflect these nuances. One last factoid from Smith & Refsum that illustrates one of the many variables: in those taking a daily aspirin, B vitamins are ineffective and unnecessary :?.
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

You guys are really smart!
ApoE 3/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Updated both the Primer and wiki for consistency, and added a quick hack guide to the wiki. Think we're good to go.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Julie G wrote:One last factoid from Smith & Refsum that illustrates one of the many variables: in those taking a daily aspirin, B vitamins are ineffective and unnecessary.

:? is right.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Huge thanks, Susan. I appreciate the consistency. These are important updates that will help to safely guide our members.- xo
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks for all your work you gals!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
rrao2015
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrao2015 »

Vit B6- take in the form of pyridoxal -5- phosphate (30-50 mg/day)
B12- take in the form of Methyl cobalamin or adenosylcobalamin (1mg/day)
Folate-take in the form of methyltetrahydrofolate (1mg/day)

Limit the consumption of beef, lamb, cheese, turkey, pork, fish, shellfish, soy and eggs all of which can contribute to the HC levels.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Might be useful to read this on Methyl folate before trying anything. It seems high amounts might not be a good idea. I got significant side effects only on 400 micrograms.

https://www.merrittwellness.com/mthfr-m ... out-mthfr/
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

Thank you Organgeblossom. I am unsure it is a good idea for a breast cancer survivor.
ApoE 3/4
Kurt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kurt »

rrao2015 wrote:Vit B6- take in the form of pyridoxal -5- phosphate (30-50 mg/day)
B12- take in the form of Methyl cobalamin or adenosylcobalamin (1mg/day)
Folate-take in the form of methyltetrahydrofolate (1mg/day)

Limit the consumption of beef, lamb, cheese, turkey, pork, fish, shellfish, soy and eggs all of which can contribute to the HC levels.
Hi rrao2015
I'm trying to get my homocysteine down. I noticed in the Bredesen book, pg 176-7, reads "the methylcobalamin (methyl-B12) AND adenosylcobalamin forms of B12, 1 milligram in total each day". One could read this as 0.5mg/day for each? I did a brief search and found a website that "claimed" benefits by using both at the same time. So, do you think Bredesen meant using both at 0.5mg each day?