best supplements for immediate short term memory??

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
jeff
Contributor
Contributor

best supplements for immediate short term memory??

Post by jeff »

Hello,
I need some advise about what is most effective with very immediate short-term memory problem i.e. I get an idea while driving. Sometimes before I grab a piece of paper, it slips away, sometimes retrievable.

I can't tell from Bresenden Protocol which supplement might be best. I have just started MgT and lion's mane. thanks, jeff
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: best supplements for immediate short term memory??

Post by Julie G »

Jeff, there's no easy answer. It depends on what's driving the memory issues. If you have a lot of inflammation, curcumin might be really helpful. (It's the one that helped me the most.) If it's high homocysteine, B12, folate & B6 may be the best. If its low Vitamin D, Vitamin D3 supplementation will help. If it's high glycemic markers, MCT may help while you heal your IR. Many of us take multiple supplements. Be sure that you're getting at least 1,000 mg of DHA a day. That's always a good starting place. Best of luck sorting things out. xo
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Jeff wrote:what is most effective with very immediate short-term memory problem...

Hi Jeff,

As Julie suggests, it's not always an easy answer.

I'm assuming that you're working on the basics, sleep, diet and exercise to start? Have you done any brain training or meditation work? Are you insulin sensitive (fasting insulin < 4.5, HbA1c < 5.6 according to Bredesen)? All good places to start to help your brain work at it's best.

On page 235 in Bredesen's book, you'll see a reference to taking Huperzine A for memory in the table. He recommends it after 3 months on the protocol. Other options would be Alpha-GPC or L-acetyl carnitine. They will all raise your levels of acetylcholine, which is important in memory.

If you decide to take any of them, start low and work your way up to a dose that helps. If you have side effects (fatigue or "crash", or other brain effects) then stop, and go back to your basics and see what still needs fixing.

Good luck!
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Jeff you might want to consider PQQ. Here is a supplement to consider, PQQ. 20 mgs per day. PQQ has been called miracle grow for your brain. Your neurons will love this.
My sister in law who is 68 says this improves her ability to think. When she doesn't take it she notices a big difference.

Information from my husband Dennis N Crouse who is a chemist and has been researching Alzheimer's for the past 6 years

• PQQ promotes the generation of new mitochondria, called mitochondrial biogenesis that increases energy efficiency of mitochondria.
• PQQ increases production of nerve growth factor (NGF) in the mitochondria268 that results in increased neurite growth and improved memory.
• PQQ when taken before and after a stroke can help to avoid vascular dementia by reducing memory impairment due to lack of oxygen. Since we don’t know when a stroke might occur, taking PQQ daily is advised.
• PQQ partially inhibits Aβ oligomer formation from Aβ peptides, one of the hallmarks of AD.
• PQQ binds to α-synuclein preventing formation of aggegates Formation of α-synuclein aggregates is believed to be the first step in Lewy body formation leading to Lewy body dementia .
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Hi Jeff, This probably sounds ridiculously simple but I try to keep a small notebook on hand at all times so I capture those great ideas. Sometimes even on my night stand. They do tend to slip in and out... even for the best memories! I think this was recommended by one of the motivational speakers. Maybe Jack Canfield. :)
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
fitnessgeek07
New User
New User

Post by fitnessgeek07 »

Let's discuss specifics and get into supplements and vitamins for memory loss. But, there are a lot of questions I got for you. Do you currently exercise? What is included in your daily diet? Do you read at least any book? These are all factors that contribute to healthy brain functioning. Getting these activities at an optimal level only increase blood flow thus enhancing any brain activity. Have you tried any memory based games? If that is yes, I believe vitamins and supplements. I take a few vitamins myself. Its already proved that physical exercise has the greatest benefit on brain activity. Matching that with the right supplements can make you as sharp as you want to be. Also, Eat to live. Sugar is a substance that has been proven to make your mind sluggish. So choose your foods carefully. Finally, work the brain. games, cards, reading are keys. After all, the brain is also a part of the body.
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

fitnessgeek07 wrote:Let's discuss specifics and get into supplements and vitamins for memory loss. But, there are a lot of questions I got for you. Do you currently exercise? What is included in your daily diet? Do you read at least any book? These are all factors that contribute to healthy brain functioning. Getting these activities at an optimal level only increase blood flow thus enhancing any brain activity. Have you tried any memory based games? If that is yes, I believe vitamins and supplements. I take a few vitamins myself. Its already proved that physical exercise has the greatest benefit on brain activity. Matching that with the right supplements can make you as sharp as you want to be. Also, Eat to live. Sugar is a substance that has been proven to make your mind sluggish. So choose your foods carefully. Finally, work the brain. games, cards, reading are keys. After all, the brain is also a part of the body.
Hi fitnessgeek07, welcome to the Apoe4.info community! We’re glad you found the site and community! Kudos to you for proactively pursuing your own brain health and sharing some of your successes and suggestions with Jeff! As you are already demonstrating, on this site, you’ll be able to share your experience, post questions, and learn with and from fellow members.

If you haven’t already seen it, the primer is a great starting place to learn about the extensive resources available to you on the ApoE4.info site. It was authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele, is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the APOE-ε4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies. Additionally, you may also be interested in checking out Our Stories to learn about fellow community members who are embarking on this journey and to share more about your own story.

Welcome and don’t hesitate to reach out with questions. Best, Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

A few years ago I was at a conference and there was a whole series of presentations about improving memory and test performance using.....blueberries. The impact was small but measurable, and overall the data was fairly convincing. Between 3-8 hours after consuming a bowl of blueberries student classroom performance improved somewhat. I don't think it was curing any underlying problems - more likely improving blood flow, lowering inflammation, or something similar. Again, small, but measurable short-term effects. The worst side effect might be that they are messy.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

fitnessgeek07 wrote:Let's discuss specifics and get into supplements and vitamins for memory loss. But, there are a lot of questions I got for you. Do you currently exercise? What is included in your daily diet? Do you read at least any book? These are all factors that contribute to healthy brain functioning. Getting these activities at an optimal level only increase blood flow thus enhancing any brain activity. Have you tried any memory based games? If that is yes, I believe vitamins and supplements. I take a few vitamins myself. Its already proved that physical exercise has the greatest benefit on brain activity. Matching that with the right supplements can make you as sharp as you want to be. Also, Eat to live. Sugar is a substance that has been proven to make your mind sluggish. So choose your foods carefully. Finally, work the brain. games, cards, reading are keys. After all, the brain is also a part of the body.

Welcome to apoe4.info fitnessgeek07!
I like your name "fitnessgeek":) I love to exercise too! and you are right there are many proofs that movement has positive effects on brain health!
Thank you for sharing your memory enhancing strategies with us! they are great and aligned with ideas included in the PRIMER, Coach MT mentioned. I also invite you to take a look at it. Another great place to stop by is a our Wiki page. You can find there comprehensive overview of topics most often discussed on our page. I am posting a link for you, maybe you will find something what will interests you:
https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Main_Page

Please tell us more about yourself and do not hesitate to post questions or concerns if they arise.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline