"Alcohol is biggest lifestyle risk"

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Indywoman
Contributor
Contributor

Re: "Alcohol is biggest lifestyle risk"

Post by Indywoman »

I'm new here, so have a tentative response. I'm not a big drinker, having ONE 7-8 oz. serving of wine a week, both before and after finding out my homozygous APOE 4 status two months ago. It is my Friday or Saturday night treat.
Checking on the study in the Lancet that Orange Blossom posted it seems that the lowest incidence of risk is associated with roughly 6 ounces of wine, five times a week. (875 mls a week = 29 ounces) Below 29 ounces a week they didn't find incidences of months or years being cut off of life expectancy did they? Obviously, if 29 oz. a week was the cutoff, it would seem wise to go below that and as you all say, especially with one or two APOE4's.
Personally, I have been a vegetarian for over 20 years, but am finding the Bredesen protocol very difficult. Am trying my best, to get those carbs negligible as well as the sugars. Not having grains is so grim, and then adding in Gundry with beans being problematic (he grudgingly allows some cooked ones) --- well, on days I sure feel like I am living in Dickens' Bleak House. You bet I'm going to keep that one glass of wine a week...even with its sugar.
4/4. Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Hi just a reminder that the study was on general population and general health not specific to E4 and dementia, more studies on that here

https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Alcohol_consumption

PS on the grains, I have them and kind of follow the blood sugar diet here. I still don't go much above 50g carbs a day though. I sometimes have a glad of low / no alcohol red wine which is quite nice, too.

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/the-low-carb-plan/
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kenny4/4 »

Indywoman wrote:well, on days I sure feel like I am living in Dickens' Bleak House
Agreed 100% on that!
That house sits on "Confusion Hill" as with the health info out there we don't know which way to turn as many a study says light to moderate alcohol is good -then bad for us apoE4's and now even the general population. Throw in the confusion on animal protein, Saturated Fat, Omega 3's, Vegetarianism,lectins,type of exercise and various and sundry items, it seems any way us 4's walk out of that Bleak House we are headed downhill :D .

On a personal n=1 note I have reduced my drinking from 1 a day and 3-4 socially to 2 per week and have noticed my thinking is clearer except when I drink (in my humble perception).
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kenny4/4 »

Oh well-There are always High polyphenol olive oil shots with a beet juice chaser for us apoE4's :lol:
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Kenny4/4 wrote:Oh well-There are always High polyphenol olive oil shots with a beet juice chaser for us apoE4's :lol:

Well- we will be cool and trendy, lots of young people and 'millennial' are doing this apparently. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 66611.html
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

How much do we compromise our lives now to try and possibly prevent AD in the future?
Where is the tipping point where hopefully the strategies we apply overcome the ones we cant manage?
Its completely unknown. We are betting here.
Plus....rigid control without expectation of leeway will set us up for failure.

I have an occasional whiskey. Yes its a neurotoxin. But when I look at it in the context of everything that I do, its a small, small thing. And if I'm that fragile that a single unit of alcohol will doom me, then what I'm trying to do is impossible. Because nobody can be that perfect.

I can only follow this path if I give myself permission to have leeway at times.
Come on guys, life is hard enough already. Dont sweat the small stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Kenny4/4 wrote:Oh well-There are always High polyphenol olive oil shots with a beet juice chaser for us apoE4's :lol:
probably can be fermented tho... 8-)
Slacker
E4/E4
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Re:

Post by Kenny4/4 »

Stavia wrote:How much do we compromise our lives now to try and possibly prevent AD in the future?
Where is the tipping point where hopefully the strategies we apply overcome the ones we cant manage?
Its completely unknown. We are betting here.
Plus....rigid control without expectation of leeway will set us up for failure.

I have an occasional whiskey. Yes its a neurotoxin. But when I look at it in the context of everything that I do, its a small, small thing. And if I'm that fragile that a single unit of alcohol will doom me, then what I'm trying to do is impossible. Because nobody can be that perfect.

I can only follow this path if I give myself permission to have leeway at times.
Come on guys, life is hard enough already. Dont sweat the small stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I'll drink to that .... but only one :D

There in lies the existential question of livin life for length vs livin life for the love of life?

I suppose we all have a different and personal answer to that sometimes mutually exclusive question-such as alcohol consumption.
Indywoman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Indywoman »

Thank you so much for all your replies, Kenny, Slacker, OrangeBlossom, and Stavia. I think we all are trying as hard as we can, and bless us mightily for coping with news that at least on my end was frightening, as well as deeply saddening for the first six weeks, and episodically still wrestles me into a funk. NF52 talked me down and was that initial "jaws of life" as I told her and this site gave me hope and solace. My family was torn apart legally and emotionally by the disagreements over my mother's care, and as they said on "Call the Midwife" a couple of weeks ago, "The fears we have in the present often have to do with experiences we had in the past".
What I decided was that I would continue to live by my motto "Do something today that your future self will thank you for". My future self will thank me for trying to keep on track with diet, sleep, fasting, meditation, and soon to be more specific advice after doing ReCode with a practitioner. I would rather try hard in those areas and enjoy my one 7 oz. glass of wine every week, (maybe twice a month in the future) and as you say Stavia "I can only follow this path if I give myself permission to have leeway at times." A big hug to all of you for not coming down hard on me even if you disagreed.
4/4. Do something today that your future self will thank you for.
jordansmom
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jordansmom »

Nords wrote:I always enjoy research which supports my confirmation bias.

I stopped drinking when my father (in early Alzheimer’s) could no longer remember how many drinks he’d consumed before dinner. This contributed to his malnutrition and his eventual perforated ulcer... and it’s what made us move him into a care facility.

http://www.alzheimersreadingroom.com/20 ... entia.html
My recent ApoE4 test has finally made me confront my own alcohol use. I'd been rationalizing my 2-3 glass/night wine habit for a while by citing studies that purport to show protective effects of moderate alcohol consumption versus teetotaling. But, that didn't take into account my ApoE4 status and the fact that my boozing was in no way moderate. I've had this pernicious habit for the past 10 years. I am now 48 years old. I hope I haven't waited until too late to turn things around.

Anyway, I'm eliminating alcohol entirely during the week and restricting total alcohol intake to one glass (a standard 5 oz glass, not a half-the-bottle "glass") of red wine on Fri and Sat. Today is the first day of the new regime, and it is going to suck royally, but I'm determined.