LifeStyle Practices

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
rrao2015
Contributor
Contributor

LifeStyle Practices

Post by rrao2015 »

Two Lifestyle practices that I would strongly advocate (I have been doing this mindfully for almost 3 months now).

1) CHEWING: I always like to say that there is a reason why we have teeth in the mouth and not in the gut. Check PubMED for articles related to Chewing and Cognition. You will find a bunch of them. Chewing is extremely important. You have to generate enough saliva for every morsel of food that you take in before swallowing it. The average is 40 chews for every morsel of food. Remember, it helps to keep the count. You are silent, you are counting so you are focused on eating and chewing and it a sort of meditation. Try it and report your experience.

2) GROUNDING/EARTHING: Is very important for a number of reasons. Again there are several studies about grounding, physiology and cognition. If you are close to the beach, walk on the sand barefoot. Doing it in the early hours just as the sun is about to rise is marvelous and this practice is backed by the yoga philosophy. If you are nowhere close to the beach, you can walk barefoot in your garden or yard. If you have a clean lawn, try taking a nap !!!
Maryann
Contributor
Contributor

Re: LifeStyle Practices

Post by Maryann »

Wonderful advice!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

rrao2015 wrote:If you have a clean lawn, try taking a nap !!!
rrao2015,
Thank you for these suggestions. Chewing - haven't explored that one.

Grounding. I’ve heard of grounding and make a point to get outside for fresh air and sunshine regularly, but am challenged to take my shoes off for grounding. I’ve had 3 surgeries on my foot, my walking mechanics are off which is affecting my hips and my physical therapist said that I should always wear shoes that support my heels. Standing for any length of time is actually tougher on me than walking. But, take a nap, good idea! When the weather gets warmer, I can lay down in the back yard (and maybe pull some weeds while I’m at it, ha!)
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
rrao2015
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrao2015 »

There you go!! What a fantastic idea to get grounded. Optimism at its best. Good Luck!!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

rrao2015 wrote:2) GROUNDING/EARTHING: Is very important for a number of reasons.
TheresaB wrote:I should always wear shoes that support my heels.
rrao,

FYI, I found a strap one can apply to the outside of a shoe, specifically to address folks like me who shouldn't go barefoot. I just bought one.
https://intuition-physician.myshopify.c ... g-any-shoe
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4