A Little Help w/the numbers and a Note of Caution

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: A Little Help w/the numbers and a Note of Caution

Post by Julie G »

Nice explanation, slacker! I was just getting to this ;).

Sorry I was confusing, maddanwill. I was referencing the controversy surrounding whether hypothyroidism with a low carb diet presents a pathological condition. Here's a recent summary. I've decided to treat with a tiny dose of Pharma given our already reduced ability to clear LDL. I was also experiencing other hypothyroid symptoms, like low body temperature, etc.

I looked back over your history and noticed that you were already taking thyroid medication when you began this dietary change, right? So, your thyroid function further dropped? Hmmm. Have you ever had your anti-thyroid antibodies tested to rule out Hashimoto's?
My BMI is 22 and I lost 25 pounds in about 4 months.
Wow- it looks like you had some weight to use and very effectively did. Kudos! That said, losing that much weight, that quickly, is an enormous psyiological (and psychological!) change. I also lost a similar amount of weight quickly and worried that I couldn't stop once the process began. That said, a BMI of 22 is very healthy for a female. If you're feeling weak, deprived or underpowered; it's a different story. Getting comfortable with your new set point is a process. Everyone's bone structure is different and will play a part in determining your ideal weight. I like Tom's suggestion of using CRON-O-meter to track things if you're truly worried about losing additional weight. The profile section allows you to determine the amount of calories you need to be weight stable. It's also really important at this stage of your journey to concurrently pay attention to your muscles with strength training. You want to be careful to avoid sarcopenia. It takes a bit of adjustment. You've undergone a dramatic, positive, healthful change. Be proud and embrace it. Know that you're in charge and can halt the weight loss and transition towards becoming strong and stable.

Re. reversing your CAC score, use our search function to learn more. We've extensively discussed this in the past. Here's one (of several) threads on the topic.

You mentioned feeling some cognitive symptoms at the beginning of your journey. I'm curious if I've experienced any improvement? Keep sharing. We're all learning with you. -xo
optimize
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A Little Help w/the numbers and a Note of Caution

Post by optimize »

maddanwill wrote: Does anyone have any rec's re Magnesium...
I take "Jigsaw Magnesium SRT" without any problems; started with 250mg (2 tablets) and gradually increased to 500 mg (4 tablets). SRT is a slow release formula so it's better tolerated.

There's also "ReMag". It was developed by Carolyn Dean, author of The Magnesium Miracle, as a supplement for people who can't tolerate other magnesium supplements.

Both supplements are available through their websites, and on Amazon.