Taking care with methyl folate

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Taking care with methyl folate

Post by Orangeblossom »

I don't know about my homocysteine levels, (GP can't test it) they tested Creatinine levels, that was OK. (linked to creatine I think). I'm just thinking of it as have these MTHFR variants really.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Orange, sometimes you don't really need to "treat" MTHFR variants. Those of us who are homozygous MTHFR 677 most likely do need some support. But as long as you don't have other problem children in the methylation cycle (I have a whole tribe), then you might not need to do anything but eat your greens religiously. Really, it could be as simple as that!
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Susan and Orange, To me it sounds like the above article is rejecting Ben Lynch's approach (link to his site appears in the article), saying that folate in any supplement kind should be handled carefully. Why not get folate from your diet as much as possible instead?
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Plumster wrote:Why not get folate from your diet as much as possible instead?
If you read Lynch's work, he is definitely a fan of getting your nutrients from food. Some people will need a B boost, but not everyone who has MTFHR variants.

When I read the article, I felt the author had targeted Lynch, and obviously had not read enough of his articles to understand that he believes in a nuanced approach to treating methylation problems, not just using high doses of methyl folate(which I've never seen him recommend). In fact he's written on his old site that he has variants and does not take methyl Bs everyday, but more on an "as needed" basis.

He's also moved on from just focusing on MTHFR and methylation issues (most of the mthfr.net posts are several years old), to how different metabolic pathways connect to the methylation cycle (some articles at https://www.drbenlynch.com/articles/).

And yep, he's like all the oft-quoted doctors here (Bredesen, Gundry, etc), he has a book out that he's selling now. But in the world of all the methylation explainers, I feel he has the most nuanced and helpful view.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Yes, i'm a fan of getting folate from food, too. I think i was just worried I might need more due to this MTHFR issue. But now see it is probably simpler than I'm thinking. ;)
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Over thinking, yep, I'm as guilty as the next person. :lol:
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

You could be ashamed of yourselves, I never overthink ;)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Taking care with methyl folate

Post by Stavia »

circular wrote:You could be ashamed of yourselves, I never overthink ;)
Lol!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Probably more overthinking on this subject!

Have been reading about B6 and how it helps in this-

'Active folate, known as 5-MTHF or 5-methyltetrahydrofolate, works in concert with vitamin B12 as a methyl-group donor in the conversion of homocysteine back to methionine.

Normally, about 50% of homocysteine is remethylated; the remaining homocysteine is transsulfurated to cysteine, which requires vitamin B6 as a co-factor. This pathway yields cysteine, which is then used by the body to make glutathione, a powerful antioxidant (See Figure 2 Homocysteine Metabolic Pathways) that protects cellular components against oxidative damage.

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and magnesium are also involved in homocysteine metabolism. Thus a person needs several different B-vitamins to help keep homocysteine levels low and allow for it to be properly transformed into helpful antioxidants like glutathione. Without B6, B12, B2, folate, and magnesium, dangerous levels of homocysteine may build up in the body."

I like the summary here, about it, http://www.foodforthebrain.org/alzheime ... teine.aspx

So therefore it seems just as important of not more so to have good levels of B6. And this B6 reaction doesn't require folate. Would it not be a concern if too much of the folate / B12 reaction were to take place then there would be less of the B6 reaction resulting in glutathione? I wonder why this is not more of a focus rather than the other reaction. And supplementing B6 might be easier for people who don't get on well with certain types of folate. I guess maybe a balance needs to be aimed for.
Last edited by Orangeblossom on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Been reading more about calcium folinate as well. It seems it may be useful. I can't get the supplement mentioned above in the UK (without hefty customs charges from US) but did find this. However it has twice the dose of the other one.

Not too sure about that supplier though, haven't heard of them before. It doesn't seem very available compared to the other forms of folic acid.

I'm quite confused about whether standard folic acid is really a problem for someone with MTHFR variants, as am reading contrasting opinions on this. In the meantime am simply taking a food based low dose B supplement like this

I noticed here Ben Lynch says http://mthfr.net/absolutely-no-folic-ac ... 011/10/04/

"Natural foods with folate should be consumed by all with MTHFR mutations as food folate helps make other forms of folic acid which are needed for various functions."

So maybe the simple thing to do is just take that and eat lots of folate rich foods, (Or maybe take two of these some days - less folate foods days perhaps!) I get extra B6 in my 5HTP supplement anyway. And I need to save up and get a test! ;)