Experiencing dizziness on rising. Ketosis? Supplement?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Experiencing dizziness on rising. Ketosis? Supplement?

Post by drae »

I tried searching but did not come across answers.

A couple weeks ago, I started experiencing dizziness when getting up, particularly from bed, sometimes from sitting. Fortunately, I noticed it and just stood/sat still until it passed. It is now happening regularly rather than occasionally. This is something I had experienced years ago but not in decades.

My fasting is usually 14-18 hours daily. I just ordered my keto meter yesterday, so no idea if I am getting in ketosis. Eating almost no starchy carbs so shooting for but having trouble reaching 100 grams per day, protein 6-7 ounces meat (mostly seafood) and or eggs daily, good fats over 65% of calories. I also added sublingual b12 about a month ago. I'll be posting supplements update in the next day or so for month end.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what I should be looking at? I would be surprised if blood pressure is suddenly that low.

Thanks much,
Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Experiencing dizziness on rising. Ketosis? Supplement?

Post by Julie G »

Yikes- sounds like keto flu! This is typically due to dehydration and mineral loss through urination. Your body is burning up the extra glycogen (stored glucose) in your liver and muscles. Breaking down glycogen releases a lot of water. As your carb intake and glycogen stores drop, your kidneys will start dumping this excess water through urination leading to dehydration and hypovolemia. If you’re concurrently cutting out processed food, you’ve dramatically decreased your salt intake. Bad combo! Consider a salty cup of broth to immediately address and the liberal use of salt (to suit your taste buds) on veggies moving forward. Here's a great outline of low carb side effects and ways to address.
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Post by McGido »

Julie G wrote: Consider a salty cup of broth to immediately address and the liberal use of salt (to suit your taste buds) on veggies moving forward. Here's a great outline of low carb side effects and ways to address.
A good remedy for this, especially if you fast, is to carry around a 1 litre bottle of water mixed with some pink salt and potassium, I usually squeeze some lemon in there too.
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Drae,
That was happening to me a while ago. It got so bad that it was happening even when I did not stand. I got to the point that I was afraid to get in my car for fear I would pass out while driving.

For me it was a simple fix -- I was not drinking enough water. I had low blood pressure -- which is supposed to be good -- but if it is too low not good. Staying hydrated fixed it for me.

Good luck with this.
Maureen
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

Drae,

In people without diabetes, the solutions are fairly straightforward. But I recall you mentioning pre-diabetes or diabetes.

Owing to the interaction between diabetes, insulin levels and the body's systems for maintaining blood pressure and electrolytes, it's probably prudent to let your physician know what dietary changes you're making and the symptoms you're experiencing.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Good catch Searcher.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Searcher wrote:Drae,

In people without diabetes,

...it's probably prudent to let your physician know...
Yes, great catch Searcher. I am newly diabetic, not on any medicine and my average BG readings are below 130 daily now. I really am planning to hook up with some doctor soon.

Thanks for this. Sometimes such could save a life.

Drae
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Julie G wrote:Yikes- sounds like keto flu! This is typically due to dehydration and mineral loss through urination. Your body is burning up the extra glycogen (stored glucose) in your liver and muscles. Breaking down glycogen releases a lot of water. As your carb intake and glycogen stores drop, your kidneys will start dumping this excess water through urination leading to dehydration and hypovolemia. If you’re concurrently cutting out processed food, you’ve dramatically decreased your salt intake. Bad combo! Consider a salty cup of broth to immediately address and the liberal use of salt (to suit your taste buds) on veggies moving forward. Here's a great outline of low carb side effects and ways to address.
Thank you, thank you, thank you Julie!

I thought I was doing extra salt (on my food) and working on the water -- but averaging only 2-3 liters a day. Now I have added two cups of homemade chicken bone broth (already salted) with 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus a healthy pinch in each liter of water and upped to 3-4 liters. It is better already. And I read from your link and feel much more at rest on all the changes.

Drae
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

McGido wrote:
Julie G wrote: Consider a salty cup of broth to immediately address and the liberal use of salt (to suit your taste buds) on veggies moving forward. Here's a great outline of low carb side effects and ways to address.
A good remedy for this, especially if you fast, is to carry around a 1 litre bottle of water mixed with some pink salt and potassium, I usually squeeze some lemon in there too.
Thanks, McGido. This sounds better than trying to chug four liters of bare water.

Drae
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

buck3Maureen wrote:Drae,
That was happening to me a while ago. It got so bad that it was happening even when I did not stand. I got to the point that I was afraid to get in my car for fear I would pass out while driving.
Thanks, Maureen. This sounds much worse than mine and thankfully, I am better already. Years ago I was passing out from low blood sugar. It was scary, especially about driving. Very glad we know more now. Sounds like we are both better! Good on ya!

Drae