Questions?!

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Questions?!

Postby CAngelS » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:36 pm

Still trying to get my brain wrapped around everything -- from the steps I'm taking now to all that I'm reading and trying to synthesize -- and I have a few questions if anyone can help:) I know there are no "solid" answers, but any advice/wisdom from your experience would be great!

     On an overnight fast, is it okay to drink lemon water or hot tea in the evening before bed? (Or will they interfere with my blood sugar levels & defeat the point?)
     As a 4/4, is MCT oil still helpful if I haven't yet made the full switch to a Keto-style diet yet? (I'm on my way that direction, but making the shift gradually.)
     Are there any basic recommended 4/4 settings for the Chronometer app that might be a good starting point, depending on your diet/approach? (I've looked on the wiki and the forum & know there was some discussion of offering something like that -- although of course the best targets will be varied for everyone -- but I couldn't find it if it exists!)
     Does anyone else have foot cramps on a keto diet? I think I've seen something here about that, but I'm not sure? Any recommendations?
     I'm currently taking 750mg CuraMed, a woman's multi-vitamin, 2000IUs of Vitamin D3, 250mg of Trans Resveratrol, 2000IUs of Vitamin E (as dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate), and 3000mg of Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin). Two questions: Since I don't know yet if my homocysteine levels are a problem, is that form of B12 okay for now? (It's what my GP recommended, but with the research I'm doing, I'm not sure.) And, are there any other "no-brainer" (no pun intended:)), recommendations to add in until I get further testing?

Thanks for your help!

p.s. I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place, but decided to just give it a shot. Glad to be redirected!

User avatar
ru442
Mod
Mod
Posts: 706
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:52 am

Re: Questions?!

Postby ru442 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 pm

CAngelS wrote:
     On an overnight fast, is it okay to drink lemon water or hot tea in the evening before bed? (Or will they interfere with my blood sugar levels & defeat the point?)
Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't add sugar or cream etc. (I drink covfefe all day and night!)
CAngelS wrote:
     As a 4/4, is MCT oil still helpful if I haven't yet made the full switch to a Keto-style diet yet? (I'm on my way that direction, but making the shift gradually.)
I wouldn't consider this until you are a few months out... took me about 3 to become fully keto.
CAngelS wrote:
     Does anyone else have foot cramps on a keto diet? I think I've seen something here about that, but I'm not sure? Any recommendations?
I do occassioanlly, and heard magnesium may help, but have not personally tried. Anyone else?

I'll let others chime in on the other bits...
CAngelS wrote:p.s. I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place, but decided to just give it a shot. Glad to be redirected!

All good... perfect spot!

RU
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"

CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Re: Questions?!

Postby CAngelS » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:15 pm

Thanks for your quick reply @ru442! When I read Dr. Bredesen recommendation that you break your fast with lemon water, I wasn’t sure!

It sounds like I can hold off on MCT oil until I make it further into the Keto-journey (presuming it’s value is related to being in Ketosis & if I’m not regularly in Ketosis yet, it’s not beneficial?). And maybe magnesium for foot cramps? That sounds familiar. I’ll look into it! Thanks!

p.s. Trying an “@“ in front of your user name to see if it tags you ;) — IS there a way to tag members other than “quoting?”

User avatar
ru442
Mod
Mod
Posts: 706
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:52 am

Re: Questions?!

Postby ru442 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:38 pm

CAngelS wrote:p.s. Trying an “@“ in front of your user name to see if it tags you ;) — IS there a way to tag members other than “quoting?”

It did send me an alert since you used tapatalk... but I don't know of any other way then quoting.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"

User avatar
slacker
Mod
Mod
Posts: 2127
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:20 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Questions?!

Postby slacker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:09 pm

CAngelS wrote:
     As a 4/4, is MCT oil still helpful if I haven't yet made the full switch to a Keto-style diet yet? (I'm on my way that direction, but making the shift gradually.)

Many use MCT early on to help them achieve ketosis while making dietary changes and adjustments. Once they are solidly in ketosis with a sustainable dietary plan, then they can taper down or off. This can be a quick or slow process, depending on the individual. Some people feel better staying on the MCT. There is lack of consensus about the long term affects of saturated fat intake for E4s.
     Are there any basic recommended 4/4 settings for the Chronometer app that might be a good starting point, depending on your diet/approach? (I've looked on the wiki and the forum & know there was some discussion of offering something like that -- although of course the best targets will be varied for everyone -- but I couldn't find it if it exists!)

Everyone uses the protein/fat/carb ratio that works for them, tweaked over time with trial and error experience. There is more information in the wiki.
     Does anyone else have foot cramps on a keto diet? I think I've seen something here about that, but I'm not sure? Any recommendations?

You may have "keto flu." Here is another thread that discusses it more in detail.
     I'm currently taking 750mg CuraMed, a woman's multi-vitamin, 2000IUs of Vitamin D3, 250mg of Trans Resveratrol, 2000IUs of Vitamin E (as dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate), and 3000mg of Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin). Two questions: Since I don't know yet if my homocysteine levels are a problem, is that form of B12 okay for now? (It's what my GP recommended, but with the research I'm doing, I'm not sure.) And, are there any other "no-brainer" (no pun intended:)), recommendations to add in until I get further testing?

For now, the cyanocobalamin form of B12 is fine, but your dose seems a bit on the high side, especially if your B12 or homocysteine levels have not been checked. Please review the Primer selective supplement section.
I'm also concerned about the amount of Vit E you are taking. Please review the Linus Pauling Institute link about Vit E. There may be very good reasons why you are taking this dose, but their recommendation is "a tolerable upper intake level (UL) for α-tocopherol in adults is set at 1,000 mg/day and applies to all possible stereoisomers of α-tocopherol."

One step at a time! This is a slow steady process....
Slacker
E4/E4

User avatar
slacker
Mod
Mod
Posts: 2127
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:20 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Questions?!

Postby slacker » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:14 pm

PS. When you respond to someone's post by using the "quote" icon in the upper right hand corner of the post, the person you are quoting gets notified that they've been quoted! (you probably got email that I "quoted" you) And the quoted person is more likely to respond to you, knowing that a conversation is going on. For future reference. :D
Slacker
E4/E4

CAngelS
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Re: Questions?!

Postby CAngelS » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:41 pm

slacker wrote:Many use MCT early on to help them achieve ketosis while making dietary changes and adjustments. Once they are solidly in ketosis with a sustainable dietary plan, then they can taper down or off. This can be a quick or slow process, depending on the individual. Some people feel better staying on the MCT. There is lack of consensus about the long term affects of saturated fat intake for E4s.
Thanks, Slacker. It's actually so helpful to know when there's a lack of consensus. I know this is an n=1 journey, but still:) And thank you for the link on ketosis and a ketogenic diet in the wiki, too (I hadn't read that yet!) -- and for the reference for the thread on "keto flu." I think you're right.

slacker wrote:For now, the cyanocobalamin form of B12 is fine, but your dose seems a bit on the high side, especially if your B12 or homocysteine levels have not been checked. Please review the Primer selective supplement section.
I'm also concerned about the amount of Vit E you are taking. Please review the Linus Pauling Institute link about Vit E. There may be very good reasons why you are taking this dose, but their recommendation is "a tolerable upper intake level (UL) for α-tocopherol in adults is set at 1,000 mg/day and applies to all possible stereoisomers of α-tocopherol."
Wow. I'm taking both the Vit E & B12 dosages at my doctor's recommendation based on a very brief discussion on my concerns based on my family history. I'll read your links. Bringing it up with her helped me start taking action (which eventually led me here) -- but I didn't think to question her recommendations, especially since they were so limited.

Thank you, again, for your encouragement. You're obviously anything but a slacker:)

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 5269
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 am

Re: Questions?!

Postby circular » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:46 am

I have the muscle cramp problem without being in keto flu per se. They’re worse in ketosis but I don’t have other keto flu symptoms, so in my mind it’s different, probably an electrolyte imbalance but not really keto flu. I feel fine otherwise. Anyway, I take potassium-magnesium aspartate 3x/day (Solgar 50 mg potassium/20 mg magnesium) and it seems to control this. Sometimes a cramp will start to break through, but I can stop it before a full on grand mal cramp (as I’ve heard them described once by someone else).
Last edited by circular on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

lauraleabrewer
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:48 pm

Re: RE: Questions?!

Postby lauraleabrewer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:27 pm

CAngelS wrote:Still trying to get my brain wrapped around everything -- from the steps I'm taking now to all that I'm reading and trying to synthesize -- and I have a few questions if anyone can help:) I know there are no "solid" answers, but any advice/wisdom from your experience would be great!

     On an overnight fast, is it okay to drink lemon water or hot tea in the evening before bed? (Or will they interfere with my blood sugar levels & defeat the point?)
     As a 4/4, is MCT oil still helpful if I haven't yet made the full switch to a Keto-style diet yet? (I'm on my way that direction, but making the shift gradually.)
     Are there any basic recommended 4/4 settings for the Chronometer app that might be a good starting point, depending on your diet/approach? (I've looked on the wiki and the forum & know there was some discussion of offering something like that -- although of course the best targets will be varied for everyone -- but I couldn't find it if it exists!)
     Does anyone else have foot cramps on a keto diet? I think I've seen something here about that, but I'm not sure? Any recommendations?
     I'm currently taking 750mg CuraMed, a woman's multi-vitamin, 2000IUs of Vitamin D3, 250mg of Trans Resveratrol, 2000IUs of Vitamin E (as dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate), and 3000mg of Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin). Two questions: Since I don't know yet if my homocysteine levels are a problem, is that form of B12 okay for now? (It's what my GP recommended, but with the research I'm doing, I'm not sure.) And, are there any other "no-brainer" (no pun intended:)), recommendations to add in until I get further testing?

Thanks for your help!

p.s. I'm not sure if I posted this in the right place, but decided to just give it a shot. Glad to be redirected!
Foot cramps are from lack of magnesium. A supplement will help.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ncjlhp
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Questions?!

Postby ncjlhp » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:58 pm

I have terrible nightly foot cramps from low carb diet. Magnesium helps but does not eliminate them completely. Even had my magnesium levels tested to be sure I was not deficient. As I am adding other suplements/ electolyte containing waters it is getting better, but still having some troubles. I probably need to address potassium as well, but I am feeling overwhelmed with the number of supplements in my day!


Return to “Prevention and Treatment”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests