SSRIs might decrease amyloid plaques

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Re: SSRIs might decrease amyloid plaques

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Story in todays paper that triglycerides cause heart attacks and that they found genes in Amish that promote low trigs all your life. No link to the study provided, but it may be worth looking at and putting in your heart area.
Kurt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kurt »

Julie G wrote:Glad you found us, Asia :D At age 39, you are perfectly poised to avoid the ill effects of ApoE4. Congrats on all of the positive changes so far!

Re. SSRI's, it might be worthwhile to have your serotonin level checked. A group of researchers from Georgetown recently identified 10 metabolite deficiencies that are predictive of AD. Serotonin was one of them.
http://www.georgetown.edu/research/news ... -test.html
Julie
Would you know if Celexa (Citalopram is the generic) would be approved by Dr. Bredesen? I know that there are some who claim that it may have some positives (as you have mentioned before, and I have even found one study with mice/rats that have favorable results). But, I am not looking to find ammunition for using it. My concern is that it may impact REM sleep, and other neurogenesis issues.

Brief background (not intended to take away from my question above). I have cognitive issues (several neuropsychologist tests in the last year or so). Sleep is a major problem for me and is probably holding back my progress - no problem initially getting too sleep, but multiple wakes through the night). I have tried multiple sleep "schemes" and working on some others. Thanks for any thoughts. I'm amazed how new/enhanced wiki's, and other elements keep popping up.
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

SSRIs might decrease amyloid plaques

Post by xactly »

Kurt: I listened to several podcasts with Dr. Kirk Parsley, a former US Navy Seal who focuses on treating sleep disorders. If I remember correctly, he said that people who are depressed can have trouble falling asleep, while people who are anxious have trouble staying asleep. He recommends several supplements for sleep, depending on the particular sleep problem.

I rarely have trouble falling asleep, but I sometimes take 500 mcg of melatonin to increase sleep quality because I know at my age, I am not producing enough melatonin anyway.

I have polymorphisms on the GAD1 gene that (I believe) cause me to produce too much glutamate and not enough GABA, so I supplement with GABA when I’m having trouble staying asleep. Glutamate/GABA imbalance can cause anxiety, so the extra GABA is generally beneficial. After an especially good night’s sleep I’ll skip taking any sleep supplements the following night, so I manage everything on a sort of cycle.

Dr. Bredesen recommends tryptophan if you have trouble sleeping because your brain (more specifically the default mode network) won’t turn off. I tried a whole bottle of tryptophan (not all at once [emoji3] ), and it did nothing for me.

Rhonda Patrick did an interesting podcast recently. I think it was the Guido Kroemer episode. Kroemer made a statement that rumination is tied to inflammation. If you reduce inflammation, you reduce the brain’s tendency to ruminate, which would help not only sleep but the ability to be present during meditation and elsewhere in life.

PS: Pure Encapsulations makes a really nice sleep cocktail called Best Rest Formula. It’s a blend of melatonin, GABA, valerian, L-Theanine, Passion flower and a few other ingredients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by xactly on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

I hope you mean 500 mcg. 500 mg would give you the Big sleep.

F
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

Sandy57 wrote:I hope you mean 500 mcg. 500 mg would give you the Big sleep.

F
Ha! I did mean mcg. I’ll edit the post to correct that error. :)

Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Lol stay safe xactly.
F
Kurt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kurt »

xactly: Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the late reply been swamped. I'll look into your suggestions. I did try 5-HTP (a tryptophan precursor if I remember correctly) a while back, but id not see any improvement, but I was under a lot of stress then.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

There's a post with some studies about SSRI's here

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3775&hilit=SSRIs
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

xactly wrote:
Rhonda Patrick did an interesting podcast recently. I think it was the Guido Kroemer episode. Kroemer made a statement that rumination is tied to inflammation. If you reduce inflammation, you reduce the brain’s tendency to ruminate, which would help not only sleep but the ability to be present during meditation and elsewhere in life..

I can't find that reference to rumination, can you point me towards it please?

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/guido-kroemer
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

NewRon wrote:
xactly wrote:
I can't find that reference to rumination, can you point me towards it please?

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/guido-kroemer
I think I got the episode wrong. When I look at the show notes, the comment was more likely in the Charles Raison episode. http://podcastnotes.org/2018/03/21/foun ... ss-raison/

It was one of those passing remarks that caught my attention, since I frequently struggle with rumination, especially when I wake up during the night. I am hoping that reducing inflammation will help me shut down my default mode network more easily.