Question on reversing insulin resistance and fasting more...

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Question on reversing insulin resistance and fasting more...

Post by drae »

Is it okay to fast for a day while still working on reversing insulin resistance?

Would it set me forward, back or be neutral (not make a difference).

Already fasting 16-18 hours a day, so fasting a day in addition would make it about a 40 hour fast.

Thanks much!

Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Question on reversing insulin resistance and fasting more...

Post by Tincup »

In my opinion, it would be fine. Jason Fung uses fasting at the beginning and throughout his program. Just listened to his program director speak about two weeks ago at a conference. They've put 5,000' patients through the program so far. You can search for YouTube presentations (and podcasts) by both Jason Fund (MD nephrologist, based in Toronto) and his program director, Megan Ramos. In the program link above, Dr. Fung has blogged extensively on fasting and IR (and T2 Diabetes).
Tincup
E3,E4
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Tincup wrote:In my opinion, it would be fine.
Thank you, Tincup. I have already watched some of their videos on reversing diabetes type 2 but not any on fasting. I will do more homework. =) I very much appreciate your opinion as I really wanted to fast but not do anything that would set me back from reversing the insulin resistance. It is helpful to know that I won't need to be so rigid. I do get hungry sometimes and that pretty much wins! I also found I have not wanted a *cheat* meal yet. So, poco a poco.

Thanks again. I value your help very much.

Drae
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Drae;

Your type 2 diabetes adds an additional complexity to the longer fasts, and it's reassuring that Dr Fung has experience with this population. I support doing a bit more research, extending your fast durations a little at a time, and paying close attention to your body and how you feel. And definitely eat when you get hungry! Your body is making a tremendous adjustment.

I remember Tincup posting in the past about very low glucose levels occurring on occasion when he is in ketosis, and still feeling great. He is getting another energy source to take care of his cellular needs.
Slacker
E4/E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Drae,

Don't recall if you are on any diabetic meds. If you are, this adds a complication. Dr. Fung says, when having T2's on meds fast, he reduces their meds so they reduce the probability of a hypoglycemic episode. This means their blood sugar will be a bit higher, though the fasting will lower it. I agree with Slacker that upping your time slowly makes a lot of sense. Also, if you start to feel bad, you can just eat. This is also Dr. Fung's advice. If you aren't on meds, that does make it simpler.

Slacker is correct, I've run my serum glucose as low as 31 mg/dL (I'm not diabetic, nor am I on meds). My ketones (beta hydroxybuterate) were at 6 mmol/L, so had no issues. In fact, I went to the gym and set PR's on some lifts. So when you are keto-adapted, your body will still be well fueled with fat and ketones.
Tincup
E3,E4
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

slacker wrote:Drae;

Your type 2 diabetes adds an additional complexity to the longer fasts
Tincup wrote:Drae,

Don't recall if you are on any diabetic meds.
Thank you, thank you, thank you both!

I am not on diabetes meds at all. Even this last week when I went off my tracks and didn't walk for four days, my average blood glucose readings for the day were 115-135 and I stayed in ketosis daily averages 1.0-2.1. Since I got my ketomojo (March 3) I have not had a reading lower than .7 or higher than 2.6.

I just started Jason Fung's first video but it is NCAA week! I caught the last half of the Virginia/Maryland game. Wow. What history!

I did fast yesterday except for a couple handfuls of nuts and some brain octane. Plus water, green tea and decaf coffee.

Now it is time to eat today but I am not hungry and have not yet done my morning walk. Plan to start back eating today but may wait for hunger.

It helps so much to get a second opinion on these things.

Good on ya both! Happy Saint Pat's day and remember to enjoy some basketball. =)

Drae
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Sounds like you are doing very well!

Keep on paying attention to how you feel!

Not being on meds gives you a lot more flexibility.

Sounds like you are making great progress!!
Tincup
E3,E4
Grace
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grace »

Hi Drae,

I have a lot of experience with fasting and with Dr. Fung's group. I can reassure you that if you have extra body fat (ie, above a normal BMI/body fat percentage) and are not taking meds for diabetes (or critical meds that require food to be absorbed), then fasting is probably the best and fastest way to reduce/eliminate your insulin resistance. The longest fast ever recorded was by someone weighing over 400 pounds who fasted for 382 days, and he did just fine. The body is designed to thrive in conditions of nutrient deprivation and all kinds of metabolic pathways are altered to compensate and start burning your own body fat to fuel and meet the body's metabolic needs. When it becomes risky is if you don't have enough body fat to provide an alternate fuel source.

In this regard, I highly recommend Dr. Fung's two books - The Obesity Code and The Complete Guide to Fasting.

Happy fasting!
Last edited by Grace on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

drae wrote: I am not on diabetes meds at all. Even this last week when I went off my tracks and didn't walk for four days, my average blood glucose readings for the day were 115-135 and I stayed in ketosis daily averages 1.0-2.1. Since I got my ketomojo (March 3) I have not had a reading lower than .7 or higher than 2.6.
If you convert an average serum glucose of 115 mg/dL to A1c is is around 5.6, 135 would be around 6.6.

As i recall, when you started here, your A1C was in the 9's or 10's. So you've made HUGE progress.

Jason Fung says he "cures" people of T2 diabetes. He's taken a lot of flak for this. His definition of "cure" is normal blood sugars without meds. This does NOT mean these people can go back to the lifestyle that got them into trouble and be fine.

You have certainly achieved a lot in a short period of time!!!!

You are a poster child for what can be achieved! It is sad that the standard of care does not recommend this instead they tell people this is a progressive disease.

KEEP IT UP!!!

Thanks for the words of support for Drae, Grace!
Tincup
E3,E4
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by drae »

Grace wrote:Hi Drae,

I have a lot of experience with fasting and with Dr. Fung's group. I can reassure you that if you have extra body fat (ie, above a normal BMI/body fat percentage) and are not taking meds for diabetes (or critical meds that require food to be absorbed), then fasting is probably the best and fasting way to reduce/eliminate your insulin resistance. The longest fast ever recorded was by someone weighing over 400 pounds who fasted for 382 days, and he did just fine. The body is designed to thrive in conditions of nutrient deprivation and all kinds of metabolic pathways are altered to compensate and start burning your own body fat to fuel and meet the body's metabolic needs. When it becomes risky is if you don't have enough body fat to provide an alternate fuel source.

In this regard, I highly recommend Dr. Fung's two books - The Obesity Code and The Complete Guide to Fasting.

Happy fasting!
Grace thank you! You are and tincup and the others are inspiriing me... it feels like you are providing air to breathe, wind for my sails. As well as good information and directions on learning more. I thank you! What a blessing!

Drae