Question about stevia...

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
seaweed
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Question about stevia...

Post by seaweed »

Tincup wrote:This is because I understand that anything with a sweet taste can provoke an insulin response, even if zero calories.
Would you say something like liquid melatonin flavored with "Natural Black Cherry Flavor" could provoke an insulin response? I'm trying to figure out if I need to take my nightly melatonin drops into account when I'm figuring out my fasting hours. I asked Dr. Bredesen about it at a book signing a couple of weeks ago and he said that supplements are fine as long as they have no caloric value, but your comment above is giving me pause.
4/4 & prior CIRS (lyme + mold)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

seaweed wrote:Would you say something like liquid melatonin flavored with "Natural Black Cherry Flavor" could provoke an insulin response? I'm trying to figure out if I need to take my nightly melatonin drops into account when I'm figuring out my fasting hours. I asked Dr. Bredesen about it at a book signing a couple of weeks ago and he said that supplements are fine as long as they have no caloric value, but your comment above is giving me pause.
I'd say it depends on your objective. Jason Fung would likely tell you it is fine if your objective is to lose weight and get better metabolically. However, for some other fasting objectives such as autophagy, apoptosis & mitosis, maybe not. I think researcher Dr. Satchin Panda addresses this in his interviews with Rhonda Patrick on circadian rhythm. Should be the top two interviews.
Tincup
E3,E4
seaweed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seaweed »

Tincup wrote:I think researcher Dr. Satchin Panda addresses this in his interviews with Rhonda Patrick on circadian rhythm
Goals are definitely autophagy, etc. Would you mind linking that again? It didn't seem to work.

Thank you!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Sorry, operator error. Edited the link to make it work.
Tincup
E3,E4
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

I use SweetLeaf as well since I researched it early on and found this was the most natural form. I believe Dr. Mark Hyman recommends it (as does Food Babe, but know some may question her credentials - or lack thereof).
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
seaweed
Contributor
Contributor

Post by seaweed »

Tincup wrote:
seaweed wrote:Would you say something like liquid melatonin flavored with "Natural Black Cherry Flavor" could provoke an insulin response? I'm trying to figure out if I need to take my nightly melatonin drops into account when I'm figuring out my fasting hours. I asked Dr. Bredesen about it at a book signing a couple of weeks ago and he said that supplements are fine as long as they have no caloric value, but your comment above is giving me pause.
I'd say it depends on your objective. Jason Fung would likely tell you it is fine if your objective is to lose weight and get better metabolically. However, for some other fasting objectives such as autophagy, apoptosis & mitosis, maybe not. I think researcher Dr. Satchin Panda addresses this in his interviews with Rhonda Patrick on circadian rhythm. Should be the top two interviews.
Tincup,

I think that I remember reading in one of your Dr. Gundry transcripts that you take melatonin at night. What brand/kind do you take, and does it interfere with your IF?

Thanks!