Fiji water (silica rich water) - Reversal of Alzheimer's

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Fiji water (silica rich water) - Reversal of Alzheimer's

Post by laurie »

I would like to share my mother-in -law’s journey of reversing Alzheimer’s. My husband and I attribute most of her improvement to drinking Fiji water (3 to 4 cups a day). I am wondering if anyone else has experienced improvement after drinking Fiji water (or a water high in silica).

My husband Dennis N Crouse has spent the last six years researching ways to help his mother. He is a scientist so he began by reading the scientific literature. We had hoped to slow down the progression of the disease so she wouldn’t have to go through end stage Alzheimer’s but this journey has evolved into a reversal of the disease. My husband knew he needed to find a cause before he could find ways to help his mother. Research has reached a tipping point and aluminum is a causal factor of Alzheimer’s.

My mother- in-law is 91. When she was 85 memory difficulties started to impact her daily functioning. One of the first things my father-in-law noticed was increased frustration when balancing the checkbook. She eventually had to give up doing the check book. She worked for an accountant for many years and this task had been very easy for her. The memory difficulties also began to impact on her ability to sew. She was a seamstress who had a fabric shop in the basement of her home. She did alterations for people. These difficulties progressed to where she couldn’t remember how to thread the sewing machine. She no longer sews. A few years later she began struggling to prepare the evening meal. She was having frequent panic attacks and severe frustration when she was unable to do a task due to her short term memory difficulties. In the late afternoon her functioning would decrease to the point where she was unable to have a conversation.

About 2 years ago she began drinking Fiji water. Over the following two years we saw improvements in her cognition and behavior. The major and most recent improvement is in her short term memory. She use to talk mostly about things which happened many years ago. There were times when she was talking as if things that happened in the past were currently happening. In the last 6 months she talks primarily about what is currently happening and what has happened the last few days. In addition to the Fiji water she takes PQQ 20mg and taurine 500 mg. She has been taking Vitamin D3 2,000 IU, CoQ10 200 mg and B 50 for many years. We have also tried to eliminate sources of aluminum in her daily life.

Her improved cognition has improved her ability to care for herself. This has resulted in improved health and quality of life. She was having bladder infections and bladder control issues frequently. At one point she wore a catheter. Currently, she is on a prophylactic dose of antibiotics. In the past she couldn’t remember to take this medication. She would stop taking the medication as she couldn’t remember why she was taking it. She would also forget to get a refill. For the past year she has had only a few bladder infections. She now is able to tell you why she takes the medication and she remembers to take the medication and get refills.

Over the past few years she has had trouble renewing her driver’s license. We have been very worried about her ability to drive. Last year when she went to renew her license she was required to take a written test in addition to a road test. She read the book and much to our surprise she passed the test. Fortunately she has had no car accidents. She has a restricted license which allows her to drive to the grocery store and the doctor’s office.

Her panic attacks and frustration have decreased. Her cognition has improved to the point where she is able to describe to us when she is having anxiety and why she is having the anxiety.

There have been a few times when she wasn’t drinking Fiji water, for instance when my father-in-law was in the hospital or when they ran out and hadn’t gotten to the grocery store to get more. A few days after she stopped taking the Fiji water we noticed her frustration increased and her ability to remember things decreased.

Yes my mother-in-law still struggles with many daily tasks but overall the quality of her life has improved significantly and we are beyond pleased!

June 2020 update. I have posted updates on my mother in law in this thread but know people don't have time to read through the entire thread. My mother in law is now 93 and is living in her own home by herself. She is able to manage with minimal help. I have set up an informational Facebook group 'Alzheimer's Late and Early Onset and APOE-4'. A lot of information from my husband's books are available on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/509038829797535/
Last edited by laurie on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
drae
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Fiji water - Reversal of Alzheimer's

Post by drae »

Laurie, I was surprised to see no responses to this. I want to thank you for this post. I have not read the rest of your posts but you made a very clear possibility of a causal relationship to the improvement. I'm thinking I might relieve Costco of a couple cases of fiji water and drink it as you described long enough to see if it makes a difference. Maybe I should do a little more research first! LOL I was researching forum threads on water when I found this. Thanks for sharing your great news about you and your husband's success in helping your Mom. I am sure she is very grateful, too. I've felt some of the anxiety of not being able to do things I used to be good at. Anyway, just wanted to let you know you have blessed someone today.

Drae
Drae -- floundering forward, everlasting beginner.
Poco a poco. it don't work if you don't do it.
JulieG: Sticking with it slowly.
G.K. Chesterton: Practice makes progress.
A thing worth doing well is worth doing badly at first.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Laurie;
I'm pleased that your mother-in-law improved with a single simple intervention. I hear stories of some that do improve dramatically after one relatively simple change.

The experiences that Dr Bredesen, a medical doctor and Alzheimer's researcher, has from dealing with hundreds of patients reveal the need for multiple interventions in the majority of cases. These interventions are often not so simple, as folks with elevated homocysteine or mold toxins can attest.
Slacker
E4/E4
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

slacker wrote:Laurie;
I'm pleased that your mother-in-law improved with a single simple intervention. I hear stories of some that do improve dramatically after one relatively simple change.
Yes it is surprising that something as simple as silica rich water can be effective at removing aluminum from a person's body and improving their cognition. I agree the treatment of Alzheimer's needs to be multifaceted and the approach for my mother-in-law was multifaceted. Along with the Fiji water my mother-in-law is taking some of the supplements Dr. Bredesen recommends in his book. We have also eliminated sources of aluminum in her daily life. My mother-in-laws improvement did not happen "overnight", it has taken years. "Mother nature" knows what she/he is doing. Plants and animals have evolved ways of utilizing silica (orthosilicic acid) as a means of protecting themselves from the neurotoxic effects of aluminum.

The approach we took with my mother-in-law was to eliminate aluminum(silica water and diet) and increase neural growth factor and mitochondrial biogenisis (PQQ).

In order to prevent Alzheimer's my husband and I follow the protocol my mother-in-law uses with additional life style choices and supplements. Aerobic exercise is an extremely important component of our protocol. Aerobic exercise is beneficial for increasing BDNF (brain derived neuro factor).
Last edited by laurie on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

drae wrote:Maybe I should do a little more research first! LOL I was researching forum threads on water when I found this.

Drae
Drae I am glad you found my post. No one has responded as I just posted this a few hours ago. If you are interested in learning more about silica water, search on Dr. Chris Exley in this forum. He conducted research using silica rich water with people who have Alzheimer's. Here is a link to his paper. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/adb5/a ... 4b6c76.pdf
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Thank you for posting about your mother-in-law's experience with Fiji water Laurie. I'll have to keep this in mind.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jafa »

Laurie, Does Fiji water retain its effectiveness if boiled for tea and coffee?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I’m guessing that urinary aluminum may not reflect tissue or brain levels? Have the latter been measured before and after silica water? I’m guessing not, unless in animals, because it’s invasivqe. I still think it’s good to eliminate what we can, but tissue levels are still unknown? I also wish they had measured urinary aluminum daily. It should have shown it decreasing. And, it seems they only tested iron, when other metals we need might get excreted too?

Confession: I didn’t read the paper yet.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Jafa wrote:Laurie, Does Fiji water retain its effectiveness if boiled for tea and coffee?
Boiling the water will not effect the silica in the water. Actually to get my mother in law to drink the Fiji water we had to use it for her morning coffee and evening tea. She doesn't like the taste of Fiji water.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

circular wrote:I’m guessing that urinary aluminum may not reflect tissue or brain levels? Have the latter been measured before and after silica water? I’m guessing not, unless in animals, because it’s invasivqe. I still think it’s good to eliminate what we can, but tissue levels are still unknown? I also wish they had measured urinary aluminum daily. It should have shown it decreasing. And, it seems they only tested iron, when other metals we need might get excreted too?

Confession: I didn’t read the paper yet.
Circular you ask great questions. The human study using silica water in people with Alzheimer's measures urinary output of aluminum. Here is a link to a video of a presentation Dr. Exley recently gave on silica and measuring excretion of aluminum in urine. http://liveaware.com/videos/

Regarding animals. There is one study in rats. Belles, M., et al.; Silicon reduces aluminum accumulation in rats: Relevance to the aluminum hypothesis of Alzheimer’s disease; Alzheimer Disease Associated Disorders; 12(2):83-87 (1998)

My husband Dennis N Crouse has done a write up on this study. Here is part of my husbands write up. Here is the conclusion "In every tissue and organ tested, including bone, the prior accumulated aluminum is reversed by supplemental OSA." ( Organs tested liver, bone, spleen, kidney and the brain (6 areas including the hippocampus)"

Here is a description of what they did "In an effort to find if rats of all ages benefited from OSA supplementation rats were simultaneously give both supplemental OSA and aluminum. Supplemental aluminum, as aluminum nitrate, was given to young rats (21 days old), adult rats (8 months old), and old rats (16 months old). The aluminum was administered by gavage (i.e. through a tube to the stomach) daily for 6.5 months and then the animal’s brains were analyzed for aluminum accumulation. The olfactory bulb of the brain had the highest aluminum levels and young rats had the highest aluminum concentration. Patterning OSA dosages after Carlisle and Curran supplemental synthetic OSA was given to rats for 5 weeks and concurrently supplemental aluminum was given by gavage for just 5 days a week for 5 weeks. This OSA treatment decreases both prior accumulated aluminum, as measured in the control animals, and absorbed supplemental aluminum in four organs and regions of the brain. Table 2 summarizes this important, remarkable, and disturbing data."
Table 2.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Apoe 3/4

Dennis N Crouse