Fasting Glucose

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
BethJ
Contributor
Contributor

Fasting Glucose

Post by BethJ »

Hi All,
I am in need of some advice. I am a patient of a trained Bredeson MD, and have been on the Bredeson Protocal diligently in all areas for prevention for almost 6 mos. I am 58 yrs old a 4/4, my 83 yr old mother is now suffering with dimentia ( hasn't officially been diagnosed with alzheimers) so this is quite frightening to me. I am ketogenic ( my #'s are good) but just was recently told I need to check my glucose as well. My a.m. glucose is 100 and sometimes more. My post prandial numbers are in proper range at 1 and 2 hrs after my first meal. (which is 17-18 hrs 3x a week on fasting days and 14-15 hrs on non fasting days.) I always break my fast with black coffee and 1T. MCT oil, (MCT is recommended by my Dr.). I don't eat actual food for about an hour after that, but do my post prandial 1 and 2 hrs after the meal and my glucose is in the range suggested on the recode report site. It sometimes drops into the 70-90 range I hope for when I wake. I cannot find a correlation to my high a.m. glucose. I eat for recommendations of 4/4's- no dairy, night shades, meat, chicken etc. I do drink wine but not nightly and it doesn't seem to matter with or without. Because of our work schedules we can't eat before 7 or so, finishing sometimes after 8. I was wondering if it is too short a time between dinner and the morning to be tracking my glucose, as it can often only be 9 or 10 hrs. since my dinner and I should wait? My inflammatory markers on my recent labs are high: A/G Ratio 2.5 Hemoglobin A1C 5.2 C-Reactive Protein 0.20 homocysteine 9.2. They were high on my original labs as well. We've been addressing high cortisol, hypo thyroid dealt with toxic mold, have Epstein Barr. Will be testing for Lymes based on living in NJ. I have elevated liver enzymes and the Dr. is unsure why. My cholesterol is great, cardio calcium score of 0, low blood pressure and low heart rate so I am not concerned about the cardiovascular connection being a 4/4
I would love any advice on my a.m. glucose readings knowing that inflammation is a major player.
Thank you!
Bethj
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fasting Glucose

Post by Stavia »

hi Beth, is your MD worried about your transient early morning higher glucose? Your HbA1C looks fine to me.
Do you know about the concept of physiological insulin resistance? Do a google search and search thru our forums, using the search function to the left of your name.
BethJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BethJ »

She didn't seem worried but that's not her style. She is concerned about my inflammation markers being high. I am very black and white when it comes to the recommendations and I'm still at the point where I cannot relax about all of this. I will search physiological insulin resistance.
Thank you Stavia
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

Well, wait and do what Stavia says, but... it looks to me like the numbers you posted for A/G ratio and CRP are great. A1C of 5.2 is not ideal, I guess, but I've never heard anybody call that high. And 9.2 for homocysteine I would put in the same class -- not optimal but not "high". Maybe I don't understand the tests/results or your post as well as I think I do (wouldn't be the first time). But if it were me I would ask again whether these results are what my doctor was calling high inflammatory markers. OTOH, maybe she is so happy with your other results that these not-yet-optimal numbers are what she wants you to work on. I would call that good news. But wait for Stavia, I have no expertise.
Good luck with the FBG. FWIW, mine also goes up as high as 100 when I spend a long time (weeks) in ketosis. I know I'm not supposed to worry about it but sometimes I do. When I eat moderate carb (60-70ish) it seems to be more in line with my expectations. I don't know whether that's a good reason to eat at the higher level carb or not, to tell you the truth, or if it would really matter. So I cycle a little bit, throwing in a little-higher day or week then going low again.
BethJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BethJ »

Hi Martha,
Thank you for your input. You did understand my post, yes my dr. Does feel my markers of inflammationmmation are still high. Maybe too high, not optimum for the Protocal. I did do the research that Stavia suggested and it does make sense. Similar to what you experience, I think my non fasting days are not that far off in time span before my first meal and along with high fats (explained in physiological insulin resistance), I’m in ketosis a lot of the time. My Dr. is very unavailable in following up, so I can’t count on conversations even via email- unfortunately. I should try some cycling as you mentioned. Not sure I understand exactly what that means...adding in a small sweet potato a couple times a week?? I will look into that. Just a little freaked out being 4/4 so I want to make sure I’m not doing any harm. Thanks again!
BethJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BethJ »

Hi Stavia,
I appreciate you recommending I search physiological insulin resistance. I did and it makes sense. I think I'm in Ketosis more often than not, and it was explained that it can be a function of that and a high fat diet.
Thank you for your input.
Bethj
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

Beth, what I meant was something along the lines of your sweet potato idea. What I do is count my carbs. I meant 30ish net carbs for maximizing ketosis and then breaking up periods of that with a 60 to 70 total once in a while. I'm not positive, but it looks like my blood sugar generally does better on this regimen. For instance, I just had tests done after 3 months at an average 52 net carb a day, and my HbA1C was 5.0 with FBG (at home) usually around 80. Same thing happened once before. But after periods of more intense dieting and more ketosis it was 5.4 and 5.5! That's also when I had the high morning numbers.
But we all find our own sweet spots. And you are absolutely right, as a 4/4 you need to take extra care. I am surely settling for lower ketones on higher carb days and that may not work for you. With diet, it seems there are always trade offs. You are lucky to have a Bredesen-trained doctor so I would put her instructions way ahead of my n=1 info. (PS I'm small, and maintenance is about 1350 calories a day.)
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

PS -- Hell, it may not even work for me! I don't know whether I should be focused more on ketones than blood sugar tests. I am just guessing and trying to play it safe.
BethJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BethJ »

You're right, I think it is a trial and error thing and you need to find your "sweet spot" My Dr. did mention cycling, but never mentioned that I should count carbs. How do you know what your net carbs are and what they should be? Does it go by body weight? I am small too. I do not count calories and do not use discretion when using olive oil and eat plenty of avocado as well. Although my Dr. is Bredeson trained, there's no follow through, guidance or communication when necessary. Unfortunately
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Hi BethJ, In Functional Medicine the Mito Plan, which is the equivalent of the ketogenic diet, is based on 20% protein, 20% carbs and 60% fat. This is enough to get you into mild ketosis. There are nutritional apps that calculate these percentages for you based on what you eat each day. I use MyFoodDiary. I have seen Chronometer mentioned by several individuals on this site and I believe there is a version of it that you can acquire without cost. Good Luck!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD