Fasting Glucose

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Fasting Glucose

Post by slacker »

BethJ wrote:You're right, I think it is a trial and error thing and you need to find your "sweet spot" My Dr. did mention cycling, but never mentioned that I should count carbs. How do you know what your net carbs are and what they should be? Does it go by body weight? I am small too. I do not count calories and do not use discretion when using olive oil and eat plenty of avocado as well.
BethJ;
There is a long and detailed description on ketosis in the wiki. Included in this is mention of a tool called cronometer to monitor carb, protein, and fat percentages of one's diet. Different people do well on different percentages to stay in ketosis; our bodies do not all operate exactly the same. Some can get away with more carbs than others...
Slacker
E4/E4
BethJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BethJ »

Yes, the cronometer is a good idea, forgot about that
Thanks!
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

marthaNH wrote:For instance, I just had tests done after 3 months at an average 52 net carb a day, and my HbA1C was 5.0 with FBG (at home) usually around 80. Same thing happened once before. But after periods of more intense dieting and more ketosis it was 5.4 and 5.5! That's also when I had the high morning numbers.
I have come to think of blood glucose and the HbA1C as blunt instruments for health monitoring. I no longer think it's obvious that 5.0 is always better than 5.5. For a reminder that human biochemistry is complex and that context matters, here's a topic from 2016:

More about HbA1c limitations
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

That's an excellent thread and I made myself a copy of the first Chris Masterjohn document you linked to. Very helpful. I sometimes have to remind myself, though, that there is an optimal strategy for general health for the population as a whole, and then there is one modified in some way for Apoe 4, and then there is Me. Being wise enough to know if and when strategy #1 should be modified on the way to optimization for the individual I am in charge of? That would be priceless! So I'm reading.
BethJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BethJ »

Hi Slacker,
Sorry I haven’t replied sooner. I wanted to thank you for the link, it was extremely informative and helpful.
Bethj
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

This is an interesting article about (more than) Insulin resistance.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/2018/04 ... e-obesity/
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist