How much olive oil is too much?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Andru
Contributor
Contributor

How much olive oil is too much?

Post by Andru »

Gundry's food pyramid shows olive oil at the bottom; "Go nuts! Eat as much as you like!"

Well, I could easily chug a liter of some good EVOO :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure this is too much.

Anyways, why does he recommend so much EVOO?

Monounsaturated fats are suspected to be heart healthy, but other sources of monounsaturated fats don't seem to have benefit over EVOO (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4198773/).

Lots of scientists agree that the polyphenols in olive oil are what cause the benefits (https://efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/do ... .2011.2033)

If that's the case, would eating olives be just as good?

Does anyone know Gundry's recommendation for the amount of olive oil?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: How much olive oil is too much?

Post by Julie G »

Sure, olives are great! I've heard that Dr. Gundry recommends around 12 TBS a day of EVOO. IMO, not a very helpful recommendation given that everyone has different caloric needs. I think I also read that he recommends a fat macronutrient ratio of 80% so you can do the math.

Like you, I could chug it, and get almost 70% of my calories from fat, but also eat nuts and avocados. I use a super high polyphenol variety, currently this Hojiblanca. (You can get an ApoE4.Info discount if you mention the group or ask for the "1-2-3 discount.") I haven't found this level of EVOO to be detrimental to me in any way. My lipids are great, oxLDL low, CAC zero, glycemic markers low, and I'm easily in mild ketosis throughout the day. FWIW, I'm a 4/4. The best way to know how much is too much is to run an N=1 to find your sweet spot.
Andru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Andru »

Julie G wrote:Sure, olives are great! I've heard that Dr. Gundry recommends around 12 TBS a day of EVOO. IMO, not a very helpful recommendation given that everyone has different caloric needs. I think I also read that he recommends a fat macronutrient ratio of 80% so you can do the math.

Like you, I could chug it, and get almost 70% of my calories from fat, but also eat nuts and avocados. I use a super high polyphenol variety, currently this Hojiblanca. (You can get an ApoE4.Info discount if you mention the group or ask for the "1-2-3 discount.") I haven't found this level of EVOO to be detrimental to me in any way. My lipids are great, oxLDL low, CAC zero, glycemic markers low, and I'm easily in mild ketosis throughout the day. FWIW, I'm a 4/4. The best way to know how much is too much is to run an N=1 to find your sweet spot.
Wow that's a nice olive oil, thanks for the link! Gonna hit the order on that one :D

So how many tbsp/day do you take in?

You're right, I'm sure it's different for everyone. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any bad effects of too much. For example, why does the American Heart Association claim that too many fats are bad for cardiovascular health?
anne from california
Contributor
Contributor

Post by anne from california »

Julie, I'm eager to try that Nueva Amphora, but can't bring myself to pay 2/3 of the product price in shipping. The field doesn't take either of those discounts (probably needs to be an actual code), but do you know if there's any way to get around the high shipping cost? Meanwhile, I will check next time I'm in the Bay Area whether they sell this particular one direct from store. (I see they have a new San Anselmo store, which is right near Dr. Hathaway's office--where I just was last week, and where I'll return for labwork sometime in the next few weeks.)
60 years old, ApoE 3/3, mother and grandmother have/had late-onset dementia, eager to save brain and optimize health.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Andru wrote: So how many tbsp/day do you take in?

You're right, I'm sure it's different for everyone. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any bad effects of too much. For example, why does the American Heart Association claim that too many fats are bad for cardiovascular health?
Like Julie, my 4/4 wife and I (3/4) have great lipids per Gundry (we are patients and havelinked transcripts as well as labs from ) oxLDL low, CAC non-zero but very low, glycemic markers low, and we are easily in mild ketosis throughout the day.

13 months ago logged all our food with a gram scale for two weeks. Posted the two week totals. As I recall, my fat calorie intake was ~73 % of the total. The macro summary is here.

Normally, we don't measure, we just eat. A liter of olive oil lasts us about a week (split between us). We use it with low temp cooking as well as pouring over our large salads.

Gundry told me he's never met a polyphenol he didn't like. I said that polyphenols are fasting mimetics so why not just fast? He replied, because he likes to eat!

As to the AHA, my friend, blogger and Irish engineer, Ivor Cummins would say they aren't looking at the root cause, like an engineer would. He would say, "its the hyperinsulinemia, stupid!" You can explore his site where he has exhaustively analyzed the data. In my opinion, he's done an excellent job.

In my opinion, sat fat plus processed carbs is a deadly combination. Really anything with processed carbs is deadly....
Tincup
E3,E4
SGW811
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SGW811 »

My neurologist who runs The Center for Brain Health recommends 4 TBSP evoo per day.
I buy my evoo here: sunshineinabottle.com. It is fresh, delicious, and ships quickly and inexpensively.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I would think actual olives (and nuts and avocado) are superior to processed oil? I am not an expert at all, and I do eat some olive oil everyday, but I thought I'd add another voice to the mix. Dr. Caldwell Essylsten argues (along with McDougall, R. Vogel, L. Rudel) that oils (including olive oil) cause damage to the endothelial cells within your blood vessels. As mentioned, I have no stake in this, but since your question is, how much olive oil is too much. I'm adding this to the discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_o4YBQPKtQ
Last edited by Plumster on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

anne from california wrote:Julie, I'm eager to try that Nueva Amphora, but can't bring myself to pay 2/3 of the product price in shipping. The field doesn't take either of those discounts (probably needs to be an actual code), but do you know if there's any way to get around the high shipping cost?
I don't know the amount, but when ordering from Amphora using the 1-2-3 code over the phone I get a good discount on the shipping too. I have worked it out to ordering three bottles at a time ends up being a great deal for the quality while not needing to place orders too frequently. I'm the only one who uses it in my home and I just use as much as I want and don't think about it. I like that I can just call and ask for the 'highest polyphenol' EVOO and they will have the counts and know which it is at the time of my call. I could eat olives at about a can a minute if you let me, but for some reason I seem to have a major salicylate reaction (I think it is) to the olives that I don't get as much with the oil, even though both are supposed to be high in salicylates.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Andru
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Andru »

Plumster wrote:I would think actual olives (and nuts and avocado) are superior to processed oil? I am not an expert at all, and I do eat some olive oil everyday, but I thought I'd add another voice to the mix. Dr. Caldwell Essylsten argues (along with McDougall, R. Vogel, L. Rudel) that oils (include olive oil) does damage to the endothelial cells within your blood vessels. As mentioned, I have no stake in this, but since your question is, how much olive oil is too much. I'm adding this to the discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_o4YBQPKtQ
Yikes... anyone know the validity of this?

Also, by Esselstyn's logic, wouldn't the same effect be seen by eating tons of avocados and olives? :?:

I wonder if those long term studies he's talking about apply to good quality EVOO

EDIT: Looks like he's also against avocados :lol: :lol: basically he hates keto diets
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Yeah Esseltyn is the very low fat dude.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk