NAD/niacinamide

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

NAD/niacinamide

Post by PBW »

If I take100mg of NAD(Niacinamide Riboside) per Dr Bredesen's advice and Dr Gundry recommends 2 x500mg niacinimide daily especially for reducing oxLDL, do I need to add more NAD daily? I am confused about how the 2 compare.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NAD/niacniamide

Post by slacker »

PBW;

I am not niacinamide knowledgeable, and don't take it myself. It will be difficult to find dosing consensus on a supplement that may not have been rigorously evaluated. It depends on what your goal is. Bredesen is more focused on cognition, Gundry with cardiovascular health. With that being said, you can find prior conversations on our site by using the search function (magnifying glass icon top right hand corner). Happy digging!
Slacker
E4/E4
antimatter37
Contributor
Contributor

Post by antimatter37 »

I think the goal of both recommendations is to increase the amount of NAD (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) in the body. I too find the terminology surrounding NAD and its precursors confusing. Here is why I think the two recommendations are really the same thing:

1. Niacinamide (also known as nicotinamide) after ingestion into the body, will have a certain percentage of it converted directly into NAD and further into NADP.
2. Niacin (also known as nicotinic acid), which is similar but not the same compound as niacinamide, may also be converted into NAD within the human body in a reaction that also makes use of the amino acid tryptophan.
3. NAD by itself is not stable outside of the human body, so until recently was not available as a supplement. Recently, a company (Chromadex) purchased patented techniques that make a stable form of NAD. Chromadex now licenses that process to companies that produce NAD supplements generally referred to as “Niagen”.

It seems to me that any of the three means described above may be utilized to increase the amount of NAD in the body. Direct supplementation using Niagen is probably the most expensive, with garden variety niacin probably the least (and includes the flushing side effect).
It might also be possible to take a vitamin B3 “complex” supplement, as this complex usually contains both niacin and niacinamide.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

To further confuse matters, I've also seen NMN (nicotinamide mononucleotide) pop onto the market recently.
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

I wouldn't take nicotinamide because it inhibits sirt1. NR should accomplish improve oxldl prevention / recycling just fine.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

aphorist wrote:I wouldn't take nicotinamide because it inhibits sirt1. NR should accomplish improve oxldl prevention / recycling just fine.
And while avoiding the sirt1 inhibition of nicotinamide, it seems as though NR might even activate sirt1.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5062546/
"It has been speculated that NR would be a more potent NAD+ and sirtuin-boosting vitamin than conventional niacins. As shown in Fig. 5j, the ability of NR to elevate ADPR (a measure of sirtuin) exceeded that of Nam by ∼3-fold."
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

You should also monitor your homocysteine levels and look to supplement a little betaine.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Thank you for all of your input. In reviewing, I think I need to research sirt1 inhibition of NR. I am looking for an MD in the Denver area to monitor nutritional supplements and prescribe testing for both Bredesen and Gundry recommendations along with guiding my personal protocol. I think I need this guidance before adding NR to the NAD I am already taking per RECODE. Maybe I can do some networking at the convention this year. I will focus on eliminating gradually the dairy(mainly Cheese) in my diet over the summer as this is the last nutritional hurtle I have yet to accomplish.
4/4 feeling great at 67!
ChipW
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NAD/niacinamide

Post by ChipW »

forgive my ignorance, I am new to all this. Are you guys saying not to take NAD+? I just bought a 30 day supply....
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: NAD/niacinamide

Post by PBW »

Not at all. I am also relatively new, began last August on this blogsite and read both Gundry's and Bredesen's books. I am 4/4 and things are going really well except for lipids. So I recently reread Dr Gundry's(cardiologist) suggestion for lowering oxLDL..Dr Bredesen recommends NAD(100mg) primarily for Brain support and Dr Gundry recommends a a much larger dose of niacinimide for lowering oxLDL or sdLDL. I was just trying to figure out If I can add niacinimide to the NAD I have been taking since Oct . Several people have mentioned the sirt1 inhibition in this post. I need to educate myself on sirt1 before I make changes especially because I do not have a MD who is familiar with all of this yet and can explain it to me. This blogsite is so very helpful with resource and suggestions on moving forward. We are all finding our own way with this and having folks to share experience and ask questions is wonderful. Never hesitate to ask. I hope this helps clarify the conversation.