Cognitive Self Testing

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cognitive Self Testing

Post by TheBrain »

Has anyone heard of or tried Fit Brains Cognitive Assessment? It's an app that can be downloaded on your iPhone or iPad. I did it the other day and can't say I did well. Same goes for my husband and a friend. All three of us scored about the same overall, but with diffferent strengths and weaknesses.

I mentioned this test to my therapist, and she said to ignore the test unless it has been scientifically validated. I didn't see any mention of that. I'd like to think the assessment is flawed!
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

alysson wrote:Has anyone heard of or tried Fit Brains Cognitive Assessment? It's an app that can be downloaded on your iPhone or iPad. I did it the other day and can't say I did well. Same goes for my husband and a friend. All three of us scored about the same overall, but with diffferent strengths and weaknesses.

I mentioned this test to my therapist, and she said to ignore the test unless it has been scientifically validated. I didn't see any mention of that. I'd like to think the assessment is flawed!
I'll have to try that one out. I just recently made an account on http://www.brainhq.com/ which is supposedly "clinically proven to improve cognitive performance" -- a couple of the free games were fun. I bought a 1mo subscription to MemTrax, but I found myself craving larger data sets (it's annoying to see images pop up from previous day's tests) and I was regularly hitting 100% with little room for improvement, so I didn't keep the membership. For fun, I've sketched up a couple small HTML-apps to play (ignore the sloppy code.)

This one is kind of like MemTrax, but using abstract shapes (I have a hard time scoring above 70-80%)

And this is a number / string test:

And, a PI digits test:

Randomly playing with these and the cambridge brain sciences lab + a N-back test (likely a bit of a waste of time):
Last edited by apod on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

This morning I downloaded the app Elevate for both iPhone and Android. I've only used it one day but it was kinda fun. Good interface. A bit easy at the start overall but I did get tripped up a several times. It was 2014 app of the year for iPhone by Apple. Sadly nothing about it being scientifically validated:

"Apple singled out brain-training apps like Elevate and rivals Lumosity and Peak-Brain Training, and says Elevate stands out due "to its great design, the best progress tracker, loads of interactivity and smart daily motivation reminders."

Pickard at first was working on SAT prep and language learning for individuals, but decided that an app could help broaden his audience.

He realized that putting vocabulary, math and retention skills into a game format could "help every single person in the world.""

http://elevateapp.com/#/
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Wondering
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Wondering »

On Android: Mindgames

There's a cost for the "pro" version, but lots of games are available (in every category) for free. Results list both raw scores and percentile scores. I don't know how they are normed, however. (My scores are fairly lousy on the memory based games, pretty high on everything else. Will be curious to see if it improves as my diet/exercise/sleep/supplement regimen takes effect.)
E3/E4, both parents had LOAD
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marthaNH »

I have to admit that I can't bring myself to do any testing of this type, though I read these posts thinking that may someday change. I rationalize that my anxiety and self-consciousness about the test will skew my score, increasing my anxiety. This thread tempts to me start a new one asking people to "witness" the improvements they've seen in cognition and/or general health since adopting strategies learned from this site.

I am all but certain that SOMETHING I got from you people has completely solved my problem of frequent, noticeable odd heartbeats. I suppose it was the fish. (My blood pressure dropped, too. Much of that happened before I met the people here, but the last bit came after I got some advice here about magnesium supplements.)
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I saw that cambridgebrainsciences is opening up a new version of their site, similar to the common Lumosity / BrainHQ style sites where you can track sleep quality, stress, exercise, etc. and follow the trends. I got in on a quick beta signup.

So far, I'm Rank #1 out of 67,823 :D

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

LOL, apod. Why am I not surprised? Congrats!
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Wow! Very impressive! And thank you for the site info.
mimik67
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mimik67 »

These tests look good but I am not going to bother until I improve my brain inflammation during CIRS treatment. (Shoemaker protocol for biotoxin illness which causes MCI--or worse and is 100% reversible with treatment)
3,4 but no family history of Altzheimers. However, mother likely had CIRS
Ladyjane
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Cognitive Self Testing

Post by Ladyjane »

marthaNH wrote:I have to admit that I can't bring myself to do any testing of this type, though I read these posts thinking that may someday change. I rationalize that my anxiety and self-consciousness about the test will skew my score, increasing my anxiety. This thread tempts to me start a new one asking people to "witness" the improvements they've seen in cognition and/or general health since adopting strategies learned from this site.

I am all but certain that SOMETHING I got from you people has completely solved my problem of frequent, noticeable odd heartbeats. I suppose it was the fish. (My blood pressure dropped, too. Much of that happened before I met the people here, but the last bit came after I got some advice here about magnesium supplements.)
Magnesium is one of the most vital nutrients in the body, and your body uses it abundantly. Glad you found it to benefit your heart rhythm. It probably benefited many other functions of which you are not aware. Soaking in a bathtub with a couple of cups of Epsom salts is a wonderful, relaxing way to get your magnesium and relieve your aches and pains. Salute` magnesium!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk