Dr. Gabrielle Lyon - Benefits of Higher Protein

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Dr. Gabriel Lyon - Benefits of High Protein

Post by Rainbow »

circular wrote:More general:

Evolving Past Alzheimer's Podcast

A bit of a deeper dive including ketosis:

High Intensity Health Podcast

I would love to hear comments from all sides. She has a different perspective on MTOR=bad, high meat=cancer etc.

I think, not being educated in this at all, that I may lean more in her direction than, say, Dr. Gundry's 20 mg/day approach, at least for me, although I may never have eaten quite as much protein as she recommends. May give this a try!!!
I just stumbled upon this thread and the topic really resonates with me. :D Thank you so much for sharing! About to take a dive and listen to the podcasts.
Genesis322 wrote:Count me as a lean mean and sometimes green fasting high-protein machine. I've never felt so healthy as on the days when I went for a long walk and only had a single catfish filet a few hours before bed.
I completely relate!!! :lol:
circular wrote:I definitely relate to being a human out of time. I find it terribly lonely at times, like what the h*ll is with all these CARS! Whoosh, whoosh, honk, screech ... WTF where's my tree hollow!
Yes, I feel like this about 99% of the time. My parents bought me a car when I was 18... which I almost immediately "regifted" to my sister. :lol:
4/4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Rainbow wrote:Yes, I feel like this about 99% of the time. My parents bought me a car when I was 18... which I almost immediately "regifted" to my sister.

You must have had one very happy sister ! My limited experience with Ontario, Canada is that once you get out of the cities, it offers lots of wide-open spaces, lakes, trees and space for feeling in touch with both yourself and nature. Hope with or without a car you get to enjoy it.
4/4 and still an optimist!
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

NF52 wrote:You must have had one very happy sister ! My limited experience with Ontario, Canada is that once you get out of the cities, it offers lots of wide-open spaces, lakes, trees and space for feeling in touch with both yourself and nature. Hope with or without a car you get to enjoy it.
Yes, that's definitely the case!
Last edited by Rainbow on Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4/4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

I found the podcasts really interesting, but am not knowledgable enough to evaluate Gabriel Lyon's claims. However, I'm cautiously intrigued. Like circular was saying earlier in the thread, I wish Rhonda Patrick would interview Gabriel!

Something I can start doing straight away is adding some resistance training to my (mostly cardio-based) workouts. I'm scrawny and would actually like to build some muscle, whether it helps with glucose metabolism or not. Gabriel does say that post-exercise, one requires less protein (leucine) to turn mTOR on, so I guess being active helps. Still, she does recommend a LOT of protein! :shock:
4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

As it happens, today I was listening to Scott Eastwood's podcast with Rhonda Patrick that covers a number of topics, and at the very end she says that raising IGF-1 in the context of exercise is how you keep it from becoming a cancer causing signal. The muscles and neurons need IGF-1 for growth, and exercise is how you ensure that's where IGF-1 goes. Without exercise it becomes oncogenic. [1:34:45] As usual, context is everything, but I wish there were some sort of chart to know how much exercise one needs to properly process the IGF-1 from a given amount of animal protein. I'm wondering if something like this is true for mTOR as well.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I see SelfHacked has a June entry on his mTOR research. He is saying the same as Dr. Patrick said for IGF-1, that with exercise you get the mTOR where you need it, muscles and neurons (citing this). The forum has a lot of people who get a lot of exercise and keep their animal protein quite low. I'm not sure this is wise, not that I know what I'm talking about. But for those not exercising enough, animal protein may be more detrimental.
Last edited by circular on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

circular wrote:I see SelfHacked has a June entry on his mTOR research. He is saying the same as Dr. Patrick said for IGF-1, that with exercise you get the mTOR where you need it, muscles and neurons (citing https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2114002535). The forum has a lot of people who get a lot of exercise and keep their animal protein quite low. I'm not sure this is wise, not that I know what I'm talking about. But for those not exercising enough, animal protein may be more detrimental.
I'd love to read the paper. Do you have access to the full text?
4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Rainbow wrote:
circular wrote:I see SelfHacked has a June entry on his mTOR research. He is saying the same as Dr. Patrick said for IGF-1, that with exercise you get the mTOR where you need it, muscles and neurons (citing https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2114002535). The forum has a lot of people who get a lot of exercise and keep their animal protein quite low. I'm not sure this is wise, not that I know what I'm talking about. But for those not exercising enough, animal protein may be more detrimental.
I'd love to read the paper. Do you have access to the full text?
Hi Rainbow,

I fixed the broken link to ScienceDirect above and here's the new one again for convenience. It shows that Keith Baar is the corresponding author with a link to his email. If you email him nicely he may send you a copy :) Let us know anything additional you learn.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

So something new to think about here. I recently got Dr. Gundry's The Plant Paradox Cookbook. In the beginning he calls for moderation in meat and dairy because they contain Neu5Gc, 'which is associated with cancer and heart disease' [p. 24]. This concept may be in his Plant Paradox book as well but I haven't read that.

So I looked up Neu5Gc. It turns out red meats and dairy have it, but birds and fish don't. Table S3 in this paper gives some amounts by type of meat and cooking method (as well as by dairy). I don't like seeing goat cheese being rather high, since it may mean my 2 oz per day of goat keifer is high too. I recently read something suggesting that, despite the widespread image of early humans with spears bringing down mastadons and other large beasts, most of their animal intake was of small animals like fowl and rabbits. Wish I'd kept that source, but I suspect it varied by place and time anyway.

The message here is that it may be especially valuable to stick to birds and fish for the most part, which I generally do anyway but it wasn't to avoid the Neu5Gc I'm now a bit wary of.

Just to report, life has been off the tracks due to responsibilities for others, so I really haven't been focused on hitting Dr. Lyon's leucine targets at all. Given exercise is what promotes the valuable growth factor benefits of mTOR and IGF-1, even if these are higher from exercise alone, I may just try to up my protein whenever I exercise. This may help me balance my problem with exercise making me too hungry since I can't eat large amounts at one time, thus helping me with exercise, muscle building and exercise-associated hunger.
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

circular wrote:Just to report, life has been off the tracks due to responsibilities for others, so I really haven't been focused on hitting Dr. Lyon's leucine targets at all. Given exercise is what promotes the valuable growth factor benefits of mTOR and IGF-1, even if these are higher from exercise alone, I may just try to up my protein whenever I exercise. This may help me balance my problem with exercise making me too hungry since I can't eat large amounts at one time, thus helping me with exercise, muscle building and exercise-associated hunger.
You could follow Valter Longo's recommendation and eat one meal per day with 30 grams of protein to stimulate muscle building and repair. He recommends the same low protein consumption target Gundry does, which is (I think) 0.34 g per pound of body weight. His target is derived from the Blue Zone research that people who consume low protein diets live longer than others.

Eating protein in less-than-30-gram amounts during the day might not provide the 2 grams of leucine Dr. Lyons said is needed at a single meal to start the muscle-building process. If Longo is right, consuming 30 grams at one time gives you one adequate boost of leucine, TOR and IGF1 per day to maintain or build muscle, while minimizing protein the rest of the day helps reduce the cancer risk.