back to basics

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

back to basics

Post by chrissyr »

Hello all: I've gotten somewhat unsure and inconsistent with supplements. I currently take a multivitamin curcumin, ashwaganda, magnesium, vitamin k, fish oil, and a bit of supplemental d3 and b12 (the d and b12 are also in the multi)

I am wondering if I could be getting too much methyl folate (I'm not homozygous for MTHFR C677-- the one that boosts homocysteine but homozygous for MTHFR A1298) and is that a concern? Or other things in the multi that are too much?

What do people think are the core supplements that are usually safe and "necessary" (for avoidance of cognitive decline and overall health)? Can I drop the multi-vit without missing out on some core nutrients? I strive for lots of veg and healthy fats, no gluten, but still have some dairy and eggs.

I know this has been discussed in the past-- one more go round please! Thank you in advance!
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: back to basics

Post by Orangeblossom »

Hi Chrissy,

i'm no expert here but on the methyl folate, the level in your multi it is 400 micrograms which seems reasonable in terms of what seems to be advised to take...Maybe it depends on how you feel on it? some people feel a bit buzzy on it. I take quite a high dose of vitamin D myself as have genes for low levels and been low in the past...think it is important.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Thank you Orangeblossom!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

chrissyr, good question. We should all stop and ask if we're taking the right supplements for where we are at this moment. And over-supplementing has it's side effects, too.

I'd say it's really worth doing some basic blood work to answer your questions. Is the folate too much? Good place to look is your homocysteine, folate and B12 status. If you could check your basic vitamin status (I'd throw in glutathione too if you can) with blood work, it will take some of the guessing out.

Some people take a multi as insurance against food that might not be delivering on the vitamin front (depletion of soil, too long between harvest and delivery, etc). I take one (the same one you do) because I have enough genetic variants, related to enzymes that convert pre-vitamins to the active forms, to fill a book. So a multi, with active forms, covers so many bases for me. But on days when I'm feeling good, I just don't take them to give my body a break.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Thanks Susan, in December, my folate was 13.2 and my B12 was 906. (At that time I was not taking the multi, but was taking sublingual B12. ) Homocysteine 6. Glutathione was 597. Katie mentioned the vitamin on this forum, (thanks Katie! ) I think I'll keep taking it as long as there's nothing potentially harmful. I like the idea of taking a break some days as I do that accidentally sometimes ;) I need to keep educating myself on what all the blood tests and supplements are, and this forum is the place to be.
Genesis322
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Genesis322 »

I believe if there's a concern about too much of anything related to diet, whether it's a macronutrient or micronutrient, a little intermittent fasting can help. It gives your body time to learn what it needs.

As for the "necessary" core supplements, I'd say you're already doing well. Omega-3 is big on my list because I always have an easier time at work when I remember to take mine.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Probably good to test again after being on the multi.

Your folate is a bit on the low side - Bredesen suggests 10-25. B12 looks fine (target 500-1500). And your homocysteine is great and suggests that your methylation cycle is working okay. Glutathione looks a little low, but that might have improved after adding the multi (it would be helped by B6).
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Thanks SusanJ! :)