Amla

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Janpeter
Contributor
Contributor

Amla

Post by Janpeter »

Here is an interesting article on Amla also known as Indian Gooseberry for arterial health. It is highly effective in preventing lipid peroxidation. It also lowers LDL and raises HDL. It is really inexpensive when you buy the powder...usually found in asian markets. Maybe another tool in our efforts to prevent LDL oxidation. I still believe that this coupled with reducing inflammation and glycation is paramount to taming the deleterious effects of our allele.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2009/feb ... ase_01.htm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
APO E3/4
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Amla

Post by Sandraz »

Hi.
Interesting. Just curious, have you tried it and seen lipid improvements? I am still working on those very things...
Decreasing LDL and increasing HDL (which as dropped since changing to lots of MUFA).

Also very interesting in this article was this :

"dramatic results of JUPITER, a study of 17,802 apparently healthy men and women with normal low-density lipoprotein (LDL) levels but high levels of the inflammatory marker protein called C-reactive protein, or CRP. This study demonstrated that people without abnormal lipid profiles, but with signs of increased inflammation had remarkably lower rates of cardiovascular events such as heart attack, stroke, and their consequences, when they took a “statin” drug called rosuvastatin (Crestor®). Rosuva-statin reduced LDL levels by 50% and CRP levels by 37%. In this study, the reduction of inflammation seem-ed to be critical to avoiding a cardiovascular event."

The interesting part is not the statin reduction of LDL, but that the CRP levels dropped and that they think the reduction in inflammation was thought to be critical in avoiding a cardiovascular event.

For us APOE4,s that may mean that having a higher LDLp but with low inflammatory markers MIGHT mean we are ok. What do you guys think?

And another question about Amla, is take a supplement or drink lots of tea?

Sandra z
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Janpeter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Janpeter »

Hi Sandra,
I just started taking AMLA two days ago after getting back my terrible NMR. See my latest results in my new post under my Introduction. I hope that you're idea of being ok with high LDL- P and low inflammation is valid because that's my situation exactly ! But my gut says that would be too simple. I bought the Amla in a local Asian market as a powder. I'm taking 6 teaspoons a day. That may be too much, after I read a report about taking too many poly phenols and their affect on adrenal stress, I may cut back. No easy answers unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
APO E3/4
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

Hi,
Just saw this, and replied to your other post. I did get an opinion from dr. Eric westman at duke univ. He told me to check calcium score for plaque to see if there is a problem before treating numbers. Ie. treat your body for disease, not the numbers. I have not checked that yet. And like you, I think the LDLp being too high cannot be good, so I am still experimenting with diet, etc. Dr. Westman asked where my HDL went when dropping LDL so much, and of course it dropped to 50 (from 66) which is the wrong direction. :( I am encouraged by low inflammatory numbers with this way of eating but still....Dr. Westman also said to watch for studies in next few years about how low carb diet affect CAD risk even IF some numbers like LDLDp are high. That all the data so far, showing high LDLp is a problem are done on people eating higher carb lower fat diet. And in his opinion if you are eating HFLC it may not matter. But till then wait for the studies and test your body for disease.

All I know is this APOE4 thing is so hard, it seems that every action does something unexpected. And nobody KNOWS what is best for us. That is why I am so thankful for this forum where we can swap ideas and experiences.

Sandra
Sandra Z
E4,E4
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

"That all the data so far, showing high LDLp is a problem are done on people eating higher carb lower fat diet. And in his opinion if you are eating HFLC it may not matter. But till then wait for the studies and test your body for disease."

He advisers Jimmy Moore who has a high LDL-P# but has lost a lot of weight the flaw in his argument is that if one has a zero calcium score that is correct it is not confirmed heart disease but one could still have soft plaque developing and the onset to hardened plaque with some carbs at it does not take much can be so quick that the risk is not worth it for E4 who have genetic defects in lipid ldl receptors and clearance times are slower but once started with the inflammatory process it is like a house on fire and you cannot get the biggest hose to put out the fire. Jimmy more is not an E4 but he also has other metabolic defects and resulting in his high particle# we E4 can have other metabolic defects and it starts to show up later in life and if one has a family history of heart disease I believe it is related if one survived the heart disease then the odds increase for AlZ.
Also he has not reported on /e4 and may remain silent on the issue for fear of his medical practice as he is a non operation bariatric doctor.

be careful with the amla powder as it can be contaminated so get organic or pharma grade extractions. I use it and is probably better than a statin drug but may not be strong enough if one has hypercholestrolemia or familial hyperchostrolemia something Dr westerman does not talk about which is common in E4's. I personally do not believe what he says as he is not a lipid expert and has not done research or of the stature of Dr Dayspring, and have read his books which I think is biased.
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

Hi Spunkypup,
I agree with you about the high LDLp thing. I find it interesting about the possibility that low inflammation markers in the presence of high LDLp MIGHT be ok. But that is a theory and a TOTALLY UNPROVEN theory at that! Which is why Dr Westman said to look for studies in next few years. I personally don't want to take the chance and find out I was wrong by having a heart attack!! So I am still experimenting on how to get numbers better and still feel ok.

What I have discovered too, is that when you go to an "expert" you get an opinion based on their area of expertise, so you have to be careful who you go to, or at least keep that in mind. That being said, I asked a low carb doctor his opinion and I did get an answer that was biased towards low carbing. Just like when I went to a conventional doctor, I got conventional advice which was, take a statin. And when I went to an outside the box doctor I got lots of supplements...but at least they were to treat bloodwork that came back low.

And yes, I know Jimmy Moore's numbers are high even though he is not APOE4. He is probably like all of us, experimenting on himself (N=1) and trying to figure things out.

Do you know what Dr Dayspring says to do specifically if APOE4? I know he thinks LDLp is what it is all about and I think he advocates statins with high LDLp but I don't know if he thinks there is a distinction if one is APOE4. I will have to look around on his website and listen to some podcasts or however he has information and see.

Has the Amla powder you are using made a difference in your numbers? Something else I will think about using, but for now too many other "experiments" going on to try that other than drinking more unsweetened tea!! :)

Thanks,
Sandra z
Sandra Z
E4,E4