Practitioner in Dallas/Ft Worth

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Davida
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Practitioner in Dallas/Ft Worth

Post by Davida »

stg wrote:MichelleG716, that is the first time I heard someone who is APOE 3/4 say they can no longer have MCT oil. Can you elaborate as to why that is?
Welcome stg to the Apoe4 community and thank you for posting your question. We all learn so much from each others post. To answer your question I would like to refer you to our Wiki page and scroll down to 9.4. It has an excellent write up on Coconut Oil and MCT Oil. Perhaps this will help. Also take a look at Primer, if you haven't already. It is written by a member physician and contains the science behind the Apoe4 gene, life style choices and prevention strategies.

We look forward to hearing more from you. If you would like to tell us more about yourself, please do so on Our Stories.

Thanks again for questioning!

My best,

Davida
Davida
FMCHC
Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches Certification 2018
PediRN
New User
New User

Post by PediRN »

Dr. Narcissa Dusa is a Functional Medicine physician who practices in Plano. She has been helpful in providing guidance and education after the apoe 4 results were obtained. She has studied under Dr. Bredesen and is familiar with his protocol.
Melanie R.
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Melanie R. »

Hello PediRN and welcome to the forum!

Thank you for your helpful feedback regarding Dr. Narcissa. Recommendations are always welcome here.

We'd love to get to you know you better, so when you're ready, feel free to share a little about yourself here in Our Stories.

Also, both the Primer and the Wiki are excellent resources for you to take a look at if you would like to further your knowledge.

Once again, welcome!

Warmest regards,
Melanie
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (ReCODE)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

stg wrote:MichelleG716, that is the first time I heard someone who is APOE 3/4 say they can no longer have MCT oil. Can you elaborate as to why that is?
Not sure Michelle's take, but Dr. Gundry has observed clinically that MCT's can increase sdLDL-c in (at least some) E4's. Caprylic acid (C8), such as Dave Asprey's "Brain Octane" product, is the most potent of the MCT's by far and might be a better choice for an E4 wanting to take MCT's for the beta hydroxybuterate (BHB) production. This is because you are not consuming the C10 and C12 fractions that are in plain MCT oil. Hence you get more BHB for the amount of sat fat you are consuming.
Tincup
E3,E4