Herpes Simplex Virus Hypothesis

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
CrashTestDummy

Herpes Simplex Virus Hypothesis

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Hey folks! Logged in under new pseudonym, but some might recognize my style from elsewhere. Please keep my identity private - discriminating eyes read this.

After too many months of distractions, I finished the first draft of a page on the wiki:

https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/index.php? ... hypothesis

Some claim that a major cause of Alzheimer's is recurrent Herpes Simplex Virus type 1 (HSV1) from latent infections in the brain. I am now taking an antiviral, 2g/day Valacylovir, generic "Northstar" Chinese manufacturer, available at Costco and Sams Club for $1000/year. Other generics may be OK too, though Ranbaxy (India) has had problems recently. The 1 gram tablets are horse pills; you may want to spend more on two 1/2 gram tablets. Or get a prescription for a horse to help you swallow them.

If you want to try this (and I am not recommending for or against, I am not a doctor) you will need a prescription. I am blessed with a primary care doctor who trusts my research as long as I demonstrate responsibility for my health. The prescription is for "suppression", as this is normally prescribed to suppress genital herpes. The pharmacist is unlikely to ask; if they do, hold your crotch and look cross-eyed.

Valacyclovir may delay AD. It may not. I am 60 years old and most of the damage may already have accumulated. The HSV1 hypothesis may be bogus. 1g/day Valtrex is probably sufficient, but Glaxo-Smith-Klein non-generic costs $5500/year .

See the wiki page for more; add your comments and corrections to the discussion page. I hope to improve the page over time. And while I would love to share the papers I downloaded at the local medical school library, I do not want to tangle this website in copyright litigation. There are some links to web-available material on the page.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Herpes Simplex Virus Hypothesis

Post by Julie G »

Welcome CTD! Love your pseudonym; quite apropos (gulp :? ) for your n =1 experiment. Thanks for sharing it with us in such detail. You are certainly not alone in carrying HSV-1; particularly worrisome for us E4 carriers.

Out of curiosity, how did you arrive at your dosage of Valacylovir? What is your proposed length of treatment? Are you using any additional supplements?

Have you seen Dr. David Perlmutter's HSV-1 protocol for our population? He recommends 500 mg daily along with several supplements: lysine, vitamin D, curcumin. Several of our members are using this protocol with good results. I've seen others with mild dementia use it and report improved cognition:
https://bottomlineinc.com/health/alzhei ... alzheimers

Thanks again for sharing your approach CTD. I've got my fingers (and toes!) crossed that it proves to be beneficial. Please keep us posted on your progress.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

"Several of our members are using this protocol with good results. "

don't remember seeing the before and after test results so please remind me where they are posted.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

I like it.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Nice, WA.

Spunky- to my knowledge the folks on our site, using an HSV-1 protocol, haven't posted test results. Some spoke of monitoring antibidy levels; not sure if anyone is. Were you thinking before & after amyloid-beta imaging? The comments I recall were more along the lines of cold sore suppression. (Use the search function for specifics.) More formal testing WOULD be interesting.

I also recall a young woman from 23 and Me named Mary (I think.) Her father was an E4/HSV-1 carrier and he was showing some early signs of dementia & uncharacteristic mood swings. She got him on the Perlmutter protocol and reported back a few weeks-months later that he was improved; both in restoration of personality and cognition. Anecdotal, but what else do we have at this point? I may try to PM her and check in on her father's progress.

The HSV-1 connection is intriguing. It's a piece of the puzzle for some. I test negative for the virus, but carry CMV instead- also implicated in AD :?