Bredesen Supplements

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
dpnelson
Contributor
Contributor

Bredesen Supplements

Post by dpnelson »

I recently purchased all of the supplements recommended by Dale Bredesen. There are so many that it feels overwhelming. I don't think Dr. Bredesen gives much guidance as to when you should take these, and which ones to take with food or on an empty stomach. Perhaps it doesn't matter when to take them? I would appreciate any suggestions and insights.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Bredesen Supplements

Post by Stavia »

Hi dpnelson and welcome.
Yes, its totally overwhelming to do it all in one go, and I believe impossible.

What I recommend is you start one at a time. And read up on each one as you introduce it on a site such as examine.com. I believe this is better in terms of identifying any possible culprits for possible adverse reactions, and in understanding what you are taking. My steps were 2 to 6 weeks each addition.

I personally started with curcumin and D3, then omega 3s, then homocysteine ones (B12, methylfolate, P5P), then I think zinc. And slowly over 2 years I added one at a time.

Some are better absorbed fasting, some better with food (fat).

Here is my current list screen-shotted from my phone. The ones not in colour are what I plan to try in the future. It will differ from others, there is no one right way, but many individual variations that suit each person's day. My main meal is lunchtime and my excercise has to be after work at 5.30 or 6.30pm.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
dpnelson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dpnelson »

Thank you so much for posting the plan that you follow with your supplements. I just learned this year that I have two copies of APOE4 (I'm 43) and I'm trying to follow Bredesen's protocol now.
dpnelson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dpnelson »

Thank you so much for posting the plan that you follow with your supplements. I just learned this year that I have two copies of APOE4 (I'm 43) and I'm trying to follow Bredesen's protocol now. I am really glad that I found this community and to learn that there are things I can do to prevent this disease. :D
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Very welcome :)
I know its hard in the beginning, but try and live each day with joy!
I promise it gets easier.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Hi dnelson and ditto on the welcome. One word of caution... as I become more familiar with the ReCODE Protocol I find that many of the supplements and dosages are added contingent on your actual laboratory levels and the category you fall into. Stavia has a great point to introduce them slowly and read up on each one as you go along to see if it make sense for you. Good luck!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Hello dpnelson and welcome!

I also learned I had two E4 copies 6 years ago at 59 at and understand very well that keen sense of urgency to figure out what I could do to become healthier and reduce long term risk. Without knowing your overall health profile, I'd like to suggest that at just 43 years old, you have time to settle in and take your time making lifestyle changes that you can maintain over the long haul. Regarding adding supplements, I couldn't agree more with the advice you received above. Add supplements slowly and monitor how you're feeling along the way.

If you haven't had a chance to read it yet, I think you'll find our site Primer written by Stavia (a member physician whom you've already "met") a very helpful guide. Also, you may find our Wiki of interest (top of this page). Our Search function (magnifying glass) is a nice tool for browsing for specific topics in the forums.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions as they come up, dnelson! This is a supportive community with a great deal of hard won knowledge. We've all been where you are now and can relate to trying to absorb so much information all at once; it can be overwhelming. We're here for you...warmly, Lucy
dpnelson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dpnelson »

I am so glad that I found this site. Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the suggestions.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by PBW »

Hi and welcome dpnelson. I want to reference back to Sara's suggestion. When I first read Dr Bredesen's book last August and already knew I was a 4/4, like you I was motivated to' get her dun' sooner than later. Bredesen cautions to do cognoscopy first. So I went back through my medical files(I have been fighting high LDL's for 15 yrs) to locate all tests that fit into "cognoscopy". That is where I started with supplements. Like Stavia, all the B's came first as clearly my homocysteine levels have been high for over a decade. I made sure that I had the correct active formulas he suggests and added them to my regimin( vitamins C, D, omega 3, K2, magnesium) Every 3 months I would address a different "hole in my roof" and add a few more or change some I was already taking( magnesium to L-theonate magnesium). During the 3 months I would continue going back through Stavia's Primer, Bredesen's book, Dr Gundry's, and my old labs. Now my Primary Care DR is on board and my gynecologist. Lucky me! Create a timeline that works for you taking time to notice reactions in body, mind and emotion. Continue learning from all your resources here and elsewhere and continue tweaking your exercise, sleep patterns, meal patterns, brain games, hobbies and supplements as you go. At times life with family and friends may seem to get in the way. When they do remind yourself that they are all part of this path as well. :)
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

Well, true to my nature, I found out I was 3/4, my mom was/is having cognitive issues, my grandmother & great grand both had cognitive issues...so I just jumped in full boat. It's going to be interesting when I get my first set of blood tests in September. It took a while to get onto the schedule of a somewhat-functional-minded doc, highly recommended in my area but have no idea yet if she's on board for Bredesen. I'm taking almost everything suggested in the Protocol --- mini-doses though, not taking the new things full dose until I find out more with blood tests. No adverse reactions that I have found, but my son says I'm more energetic, alert and talk faster than I have over the past year (ha). Ah well. I have always been a full-steam-ahead type. I will try to remember to pop back over here and let you know if I've over-achieved myself into going in the wrong direction...