What snacks are ok?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
dabatown
New User
New User

What snacks are ok?

Post by dabatown »

I've been trying to eat quite clean, avoiding carbs and eating a lot of salads, vegetables etc. I'm also doing intermittent fasting restricting eating for about 6 hours a day. The problem is that I get extremely hungry during those 6 hours even after my meals. I'm wondering what snacks are ok on a daily basis? I used to have a lot of greek yogurt and fruits but I've heard dairy isn't ok and too much fruit isn't good either.

Any recommendations on what is ok?
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: What snacks are ok?

Post by Plumster »

I snack on fresh and dried fruits, nuts and seeds, and fresh vegetables with hummus. I like the dried vegetables with hummus too. Like the organic dried beets, which have nothing added. Just beets. Not sure if you eat this, but air popped corn is another of my snacks. Then I add a tiny bit of Fortisalt spray, which gives it a buttery taste without the butter.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

dabatown wrote:I've been trying to eat quite clean, avoiding carbs and eating a lot of salads, vegetables etc. I'm also doing intermittent fasting restricting eating for about 6 hours a day. The problem is that I get extremely hungry during those 6 hours even after my meals. I'm wondering what snacks are ok on a daily basis? I used to have a lot of greek yogurt and fruits but I've heard dairy isn't ok and too much fruit isn't good either.

If you do a search on "snack" (magnifying glass right upper tool bar), you can read what other members are doing for snacking. Ultimately, you'll have to try different things to see what works. Perhaps, for now, your fasting period is too long. Are you getting enough fat and calories? Are you in ketosis? Crono meter and ketone testing may help you figure this out, so you know what to adjust.
Slacker
E4/E4
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Post by McGido »

dabatown wrote:I've been trying to eat quite clean, avoiding carbs and eating a lot of salads, vegetables etc. I'm also doing intermittent fasting restricting eating for about 6 hours a day. The problem is that I get extremely hungry during those 6 hours even after my meals. I'm wondering what snacks are ok on a daily basis? I used to have a lot of greek yogurt and fruits but I've heard dairy isn't ok and too much fruit isn't good either.

Not sure how approved nuts are... but I'd say nuts are like a staple of my diet.. I probably end up spending a few hundred dollars on nuts per month :lol: ... I eat a lot of Pecans, Macadamia Nuts & Walnuts. Mix in some hazelnuts & almonds sometimes. I do eat quite a bit of almond butter as well with celery.. that's probably like my go-to snack!
KellyS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KellyS »

Ah, I know that my husband loves to eat a handful of nuts and berries per day, too. He used to eat them in a "safe" yogurt, but now he stays away from yogurt, too.
Holistic Healthcare Practitioner
Functional Medicine Health Coach - Candidate
apoe4.info intern
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

nuts are good, also hard boiled eggs are satiating.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Are you eating enough healthy fat and protein to help with satiety? I underestimated how much of those I’d need when I first dropped my carbs.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Nuts are great!
I also eat traditional hummus (avoid if you are lectin free), and hummus made with olives.
I have recently discovered "Kite hill" cream cheese (made with almonds):
http://www.kite-hill.com/our-food/cream ... e-spreads/
Fat bombs are also very satisfying. There are tons of recipes online. My favorite ones are made with avocados.
I try not to snack. Like others mentioned make sure to consume enough calories while eating and maybe your fast is too long...

Be well,
Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

I second Circ's comment. I also underestimated the calories I was eating when I reduced carbs. Track for a while in cronometer or some other food app.