Thyroid and Cardio IQ Panel results

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Thyroid and Cardio IQ Panel results

Post by Robin2038 »

Greetings!
I had some labs done and my new doc says my thyroid is working kinda slow and wants me to take Armour 30 mg. I don’t have aby symptoms and my results were—

Also they did the cardio IQ and its funny the results are very close to what they were when i was more compliant on a low carb diet. i now do cheat weeks on occasion still eat low carb most of the time and almost no sugar or simple carbs.
What di you think?
HDL 121
Tryglyceeides 51
LDL 142
LDL particle no 1459 (went up)
LDL smal 199
LDL med 192
HDL large 10438 (new to me.. is rhis bad?- says over 5353 is high!))
LDL pattern A
LDL peak size 230
Apolipoprotein B 91
lipoprotein A 35

By the way cardiax calcium score 0 and CRP .1

Thoughts? I do eat dairy and some grass fed beef/chicken lots of nuts.

Woukd you cut way down on sat fats or Does my overall heart health profile scan, crp etc) indicate i shouldnt worry much? I have no bealth issues and am 55. Sorry for typos my eyes are dilated from opthalmologist

Thanks!!
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Thyroid results sorry they got deleted

Post by Robin2038 »

TSH 3.47
T 4 total 6.1
T3 feee 2.3
TPO AB antibodies 1

Thanks!
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Thyroid and Cardio IQ Panel results-any opinions?

Post by Robin2038 »

Just bumping.. i was one of the early MUSES lab patients but have regressed a bit on diet/exercise
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Thyroid and Cardio IQ Panel results

Post by NF52 »

Robin2038 wrote:Woukd you cut way down on sat fats or Does my overall heart health profile scan, crp etc) indicate i shouldnt worry much? I have no bealth issues and am 55. Sorry for typos my eyes are dilated from opthalmologist
Hi Robin2038,

No apologies needed for typos. I make them all the time, with no excuse of dilated pupils! Thanks for bumping your post; sometimes posts get overlooked in the "traffic lanes". Your questions are ones every one has, I think, after you finally make the decision to get all those tests: Now what?!

The short answer is that there are no pat answers, and we don't know you nearly as well as your primary care provider. I know my own doctor is great about talking about options. He tends to balance what he sees on the tests with the person he sees in front of him. Sometimes the numbers for us apoE 4's freak us out, right? My doctor then reminds me that, like you, I had a clear coronary calcium scan, which gave me a cardiac age much younger than my real age of 66, and I also have good scores on other measures. Like you I have high LDL-P, but the jury is still out on what exactly that means for us.

Here is Stavia's "second critical message" from her PRIMER about the importance of insulin resistance (IR) vs. LDL:
GLYCAEMIC CONTROL TRUMPS LIPIDS, EVERY TIME
You have been dealt a hand of cards. You need to play them cleverly.
IR is far more damaging than a high LDL, but LDL still matters. We are on a seesaw trying to balance these two. The balance point will be different in everyone.
I think the best advice we can give you is to ask for some more specifics if you're not sure why your doctor recommends some thyroid meds. Here's a link to our WIKI's section on lipids, thyroid etc. Cholesterol, Lipids and Treatment, which has a treasure trove of info and external links. Here are just a couple of those external links: this to something from Harvard on hypothyroidism Mild hypothyroidism: Who should be treated?, this from Quest on the Cardo IQ testing, which may be helpful: http://www.questdiagnostics.com/home/pa ... sting.html and this explanation with a chart of LabCorp's NMR profile: Understanding the NMR LipoProfile® Test Report

I think you know the answer to the question of whether you shouldn't worry much--but if I were you, I'd put that to my doctor. That way you can come home and (hopefully) tell someone you love that the doctor says you shouldn't worry much. And then go out and live life large, Robin!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

Thanks for the links. I haven’t read Stavia’s primier in a long time but its time to reread!
Unfortunately my doc is new as I recently moved. She doesn’t know me at all. I am
Just perplexed as to why she wants me on thyroid meds. I sent her a message to call me for an explanation but wanted other opinions on my levels and need for treatment. I’m thinking of just monitoring for now and rechecking in 6 months.
Ill reread some of the old posts here and see what i can learn.
Regards
Robin
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Robin2038 wrote: Unfortunately my doc is new as I recently moved. She doesn’t know me at all. I am just perplexed as to why she wants me on thyroid meds. I sent her a message to call me for an explanation but wanted other opinions on my levels and need for treatment. I’m thinking of just monitoring for now and rechecking in 6 months.
It's always takes time to get used to a new doctor. Is she conventional or functional medicine/integrative? It's possible that she wants you on thryoid meds due to less than "optimal" TSH and free T3. (For me, it's always helpful to list normal ranges in addition to your lab results - I don't have everything memorized!) Dr Bredesen, in his book The End of Alzheimer's, lists optimal ranges of:

TSH < 2.0 microIU/mL
Free T3 3.2-4.2 pg/ml
Free T4 1.3 - 1.8 ng/dL (note "free" not "total")

If you don't have the book, you can probably borrow it at the library. There are only 2 pages on thyroid; very high level overview.

If you feel good, I think it's reasonable to recheck levels in the future. You can do some research in the meantime. For starters, here is a prior post explaining a "functional medicine" approach to thyroid.
Slacker
E4/E4
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

Thanks i have the Bredesen book and will look it up. I emailed her and she said to wait to take it until we have another appointment.
Appreciate the reminder about Bredesen book and link!
Robin