Is Red Wine OK?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Is Red Wine OK?

Post by Orangeblossom »

Robinh wrote:
Orangeblossom wrote:we are off to France soon to rub salt into the wound.
I feel your pain. I'm in Paris for two months. Even much of the cheap wine is good, and whereas I can forego saturated fats in California with no problem, the saturated fats in Paris present a whole other level of temptation. Besides being delicious, they're often very natural, artisanal, local, highly nutritious, etc...
Oh, I'm sure I'll be partaking of both on holiday! ;) Just keeping a bit of an eye on the baguettes and croissants!
Robinh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robinh »

Orangeblossom: It's definitely going to be hard not to eat bread if you eat any good cheese or pâté (which are my fave vehicles for saturated fat here). They do have some pretty nice whole grain loaves though, and the "pain complet" which is mostly whole wheat. But the croissants and pastries... Yeah, I'm trying to avoid as much as possible!

NF52: LOL. Thanks for that!

Lucy5: Thank you!

One thing I do notice when giving into these fatty temptations is that after a couple of days I actually start getting hangry between meals. I'm guessing that my insulin isn't working as well, so I'm not getting glucose into my cells where I need it. I didn't bring my glucose tester, so it's hard to compare, but I know from experience that this kind of hunger never coincides with low blood sugar. I'm going to eat a couple of very low fat starch meals today (like white potato), because I find these meals reset my insulin sensitivity and appetite. I know it goes against what Bredesen would recommend, but starchy foods can be beneficial for insulin sensitivity, but *only when eaten in the absence of fat*. Potatoes are the best by far for this. I have done a few short stretches of potato dieting over the past few years and invariably feel great all around with vastly improved glucose readings afterward (as well as weight loss and a clearing of inflammation that I can see just by looking in the mirror). Of course woman cannot live on potato alone... But overall this is a good time for me to experiment with my food a bit, as I'm all alone and don't have to worry about what other people want to eat. Now I will go make my morning café and struggle with the question of whether to make it "au lait." This whole milk I bought at the organic (bio) store is of such lovely quality. Aaargh!
APOE4/4 + family history
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Robinh wrote:I have done a few short stretches of potato dieting over the past few years and invariably feel great all around with vastly improved glucose readings afterward (as well as weight loss and a clearing of inflammation that I can see just by looking in the mirror). Of course woman cannot live on potato alone...
I commend you on being able to stick with the potato diet and seeing results! I tried it to see what my body response would be and found that Day 1: YIPPEE, Potatoes! Day 2: Oh, Potatoes. Day 3: Ugh, potatoes - maybe I just won't eat. Day 4: Um, NO potatoes Give me a Salad NOW. My result is that I really don't want to eat potatoes at all any more.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Robinh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robinh »

CarrieS wrote: I commend you on being able to stick with the potato diet and seeing results! I tried it to see what my body response would be and found that Day 1: YIPPEE, Potatoes! Day 2: Oh, Potatoes. Day 3: Ugh, potatoes - maybe I just won't eat. Day 4: Um, NO potatoes Give me a Salad NOW. My result is that I really don't want to eat potatoes at all any more.

I had the same problem in the beginning. I had to start making oven fries and allowing more condiments like ketchup. I even make little hash-brown type potato pancakes and eat them with a little fruit jam sometimes. A little honey mustard works too. It's not ideal perhaps, but a little fat-free condiment doesn't seem to mess with the potato magic too much. I also found that adding in sweet potatoes is ok too, if you want to go longer than just a 3-4 days, but they aren't as effective with appetite suppression. But if it's the only way you can do it, then I'd say use them.

I would experiment more, because it's a great tool to have.
APOE4/4 + family history
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Robinh wrote:I would experiment more, because it's a great tool to have.
The oven fries were indeed my favorite way too but I didn't use any condiments. Hmmm. How many days did you have to do this to get your results?
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Robinh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robinh »

CarrieS wrote: The oven fries were indeed my favorite way too but I didn't use any condiments. Hmmm. How many days did you have to do this to get your results?
I've done this quite a few times, and I'd say I usually feel a real difference after anywhere from 2 to 6 days. Typically around 4. Sometimes the first 2-3 days can be sheer hell. Like to the point where I feel like there is no meaning in life and want to die. LOL! I don't know why that happens, but it can be pretty bad. The last time I took it a step further and decided to just keep going but added in a little raw fruit/veggie and sweet potatoes after 5 days. I went about 2 and a half weeks which included about 3 nights when I ate a normal dinner for social reasons. I also had about 5 glasses of wine during this period. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep it up too strictly for so long. I actually was really enjoying it and didn't even want to stop! As long as I had the occasional glass of wine or piece of meat, I was feeling pretty amazing and satisfied. And the feeling of eating as a response to true hunger, versus cravings or "hanger." Wonderful! Now granted, I had access to beautiful varieties of sweet potatoes at this time (purple flesh and the creamy fleshed Asian type), so that made it more enjoyable. Now that I'm in Paris, I can only get the garnet type, which are my least favorite. I found purple sweet potatoes once, but they were expensive, and they didn't have them anymore when I went to get more this morning. The white potatoes are very good here though, with lots of varieties.
APOE4/4 + family history
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Would de-alcoholized red wine contain tannic acid?

"Tannic acid, found in red wine, is known to prevent the formation of toxic amyloid structures that cause neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease."
https://www.aftau.org/weblog-medicine-- ... &ncs4704=3
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Plumster wrote:Would de-alcoholized red wine contain tannic acid?
Hi Plumster,
I'm no wine expert, but here's the results of a quick Google search. While I found a site from 2014 that claimed that the tannins disappear with the alcohol, the consensus from the first two citations support that the tannins are still present. The third citation is from one company that makes non-alcoholic wine, claiming the tannin is more concentrated.
The sugars have been removed allowing the body and tannins to come forth and be the core of the juices character – just like an alcoholic wine would.
How Do You Make Non-Alcoholic Wine?
Even though dealcoholized wine doesn't have all the alcohol of regular wine (typically around 13-14 percent by volume), it should have about the same amount of polyphenols that are the natural plant chemicals found in the skins of grapes (as well as other fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds)
.Does Dealcoholized Wine Have Health Benefits?
The tannin is not changed by the dealcoholisation process. Because of the reduction of volume (= taking out the alcohol) the tannins and other wine extracts are even more concentrated. This means that our alcohol free wines have about 12% higher tannin values than in the base wines.
Nutrition Facts for all Carl Jung Wines
4/4 and still an optimist!
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Good to know, thank you, NF52!
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
barbS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by barbS »

Newbie here. Hello to everyone.

I have been looking into biodynamic, certified organic reds that list the certification and not just "made with organic grapes." For there is some benefit as to the low number of sulfites, less toxins due to type of fertilizers/pesticides, etc., and low sugar content (yeast consumes sugar).
Some claim no hangovers - but I try to limit to one glass. Might be to the top of the glass. But it is just one glass. :)
ApoE 3/4
MTHFR A1298C
VDR Taq
all the other ++
MAO R297R MTHFD1L GAMT PEMT CCL2 SOD3 NSUDS7 ATG16L1 FOXE1 do these matter? :?: (I believe in "woo" cuz pharma never helped me)