Functional Medicine Training

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Lindajane
Contributor
Contributor

Functional Medicine Training

Post by Lindajane »

I have a question regarding how a doctor becomes a Functional Medicine Doctor. I believe the doctor I am seeing used Dr. Daniel Kalish. Can someone tell me how a physician becomes a FM Doctor? I have a lot of respect for the doctor I am seeing. Just concerned about a recent supplement I was asked to start and I see Dr. Daniel Kalish may have ties to the manufacturer.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Functional Medicine Training

Post by Ski »

They typically seek certification from the Institute for Functional Medicine.
Magda
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Magda »

Lindajane wrote:I have a question regarding how a doctor becomes a Functional Medicine Doctor. I believe the doctor I am seeing used Dr. Daniel Kalish. Can someone tell me how a physician becomes a FM Doctor? I have a lot of respect for the doctor I am seeing. Just concerned about a recent supplement I was asked to start and I see Dr. Daniel Kalish may have ties to the manufacturer.
Lindajane,
Here is a link to the certificate requirements:
https://www.ifm.org/certification-membe ... uirements/
In short: the medical profesional has to complete total of 7 modules, submit case report/ study, and then seat thru an exam.
Many of FM doctors formulate their own supplement lines and formulas. However, it should not be a problem for him to recommend alternatives, especially if you do not feel comfortable with his recommendations. There are many great supplement companies out there.
I hope this helps.

Magda
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach & MS Clinical Nutrition Student
IFM/Bredesen Trained, Reversing Cognitive Decline
Liko
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Liko »

Magda wrote: Here is a link to the certificate requirements:
https://www.ifm.org/certification-membe ... uirements/
In short: the medical profesional has to complete total of 7 modules, submit case report/ study, and then seat thru an exam.
Just wanted to point out these are IFM's requirements, and other functional medicine trainings will vary slightly (or a lot) from this. Dr. Kalish runs the Kalish Institute of Functional Medicine mentorship and training program and also has a relationship with IFM.

As Magda said, you can ask for an alternative supplement or more explanation on why the one s/he prescribed is a good choice. I'm glad you have a doctor you like!
Kaliko
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

To further illustrate what Liko is saying, there is not a formal national medical board for Functional Medicine. Graduates of medical schools do not choose a Functional Medicine residency or fellowship, nor is there a nationally approved "board test" that must be passed to claim the title - as of yet. There are many organizations that provide what they call functional medicine education; IFM is one the best known. Any provider - MD, DO, NP, PA, chiropractor, acupuncturist - can call themselves a Functional Medicine practitioner. They may have taken the rigorous education from IFM that Magna mentions, they may have taken one weekend seminar with IFM, they may have taken classes with another organization that teaches their version of functional medicine, or they could have studied and researched on their own. It's the wild west!

As consumers of medical care, we have to be careful about the qualifications of those we see to help us with our health. This is true whether the provider is a board-certified neurosurgeon, or a functional medicine provider.
Slacker
E4/E4
Lindajane
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lindajane »

Thanks everyone. I love this group. I will continue to do my own research if I'm unsure of something.