Happy to Report... (HRT-related update)

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
anne from california
Contributor
Contributor

Happy to Report... (HRT-related update)

Post by anne from california »

My ultrasound came back showing no issues with endometrial thickness (4mm), despite breakthrough bleeding on estradiol and progesterone, and HMO gynecologist has backed off draconian position on biopsy and progesterone administration methods. I have moved patch to front (abdomen) rather than back (hip), and it's actually sticking! I'm also having some hot flashes--I've heard the estrogen absorption is less on front, and I've been wearing it mostly on back for the past 8 weeks or so, so maybe this little position change is heating me up again. Doc wrote me a new vaginal progesterone (I'm Intolerant to oral) that isn't covered by my insurance, but I get the insurer's rate, which is only $29 a month. (Better than the $90 I was getting charged by the compounding pharmacy!) I am continuing to work with functional medicine doc Ann Hathaway on hormone levels and dosing rhythm, and hope to get bleeding issues under control. HMO gynecologist, who with this ultrasound result is suddenly more willing to actually talk about benign postmenopausal bleeding related to hormone therapy, says it can take six months to a year before it all calms down. I'm six months in on the hormones, and have experienced breakthrough bleeding three times in the past eight weeks. First four months were smooth sailing.

I post in case anyone else is having issues with hormone therapy, and to say thanks to everyone who has been helping me work through this frustrating situation! I really want the benefits of hormone therapy!
60 years old, ApoE 3/3, mother and grandmother have/had late-onset dementia, eager to save brain and optimize health.
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Happy to Report... (HRT-related update)

Post by Sara »

Wow! I applaud your determination to pursue bioidentical hormone therapy. I am working through some ‘hormonal’ issues myself and find your words and clarification inspiring. Thank you!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Well done Anne.
I had no idea you werent using your tummy. I had a brief fling with the butt application but it slipped off too readily.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Lindajane
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lindajane »

Ladies, I have a question about using the biodentical hormones? I've used them since January this year. Started at a very low dose since I am 65 and 10 years past menopause. My dose was increased 2 months ago. Is there anything specific that I will notice that the hormones improve? The strength I'm on now is biest 2 (50/50) prog 80mg.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Lindajane wrote:Ladies, I have a question about using the biodentical hormones? I've used them since January this year. Started at a very low dose since I am 65 and 10 years past menopause. My dose was increased 2 months ago. Is there anything specific that I will notice that the hormones improve? The strength I'm on now is biest 2 (50/50) prog 80mg.
It's a simple question with a complicated answer! "Depends."

I quickly reviewed your prior posts on hormone replacement in another thread about sleep. It sounds like you started bHRT to help with memory. Were you hoping for help with sleep as well? I'm assuming that you have not noticed any improvement in the 2 months of treatment at the higher dose of biest and prog. I think that 2 months is adequate to determine improvement. My FM MD typically rechecks 2.5 to 3 months after dose change. Have your hormone levels improved since starting the higher dose? You many want to consider the estradiol patch if your estradiol levels are still not where they should be.

Is the progesterone topical or oral? How is your progesterone level on the higher dose? Many find the progesterone helpful for sleep. Are you getting enough progesterone to help prevent uterine cancer (review Dr Hathaway's estradiol to progesterone ratio)? I don't think there are any studies evaluating topical progesterone for uterine cancer prevention while on estradiol for women with a uterus. (Do you have a uterus?) ;)
Slacker
E4/E4
Lindajane
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lindajane »

Slacker, thanks for the thoughtful questions. Yes I started bHRT for memory and also low libido. I started the Mito diet in November and was feeling great by January. I then started a low dose bHRT and did not feel as well. Not sure if I may have been experiencing a "keto high". But I still feel better. I also follow most of Dr. Bredeson's protocol. I will have levels checked in a couple of months when I see my FM doctor for a check up. Yes I still have my uterus and the progesterone is in the bHRT cream. Right now I'm thinking I will stop the bHRT if I don't see improvement. The health concerns and cost are leading me in that direction.