Question! Breastfeeding moms and babies...

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Question! Breastfeeding moms and babies...

Postby NancyM » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:19 am

NF52 wrote:
NancyM wrote:My mom literally kept a box of Fannie May candy "hidden" in her nightstand drawer.
My guess is the Fanny Farmer candy in her nightstand helped her get through having 8 lively kids and their friends over. Your mom sounds like a sweetheart!

NF52 my mom would shudder at the confusion of Fanny Farmer with Fannie May which was always a local treasure in the Chicago area and her lifelong favorite. And yes, she had a sweet tooth and she was a sweetheart! Thanks!

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby circular » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:34 pm

I’m the opposite of Nancy. I attribute not having a sweet tooth to the fact that sweets weren’t around our house unless it was a birthday or holiday. I just learned sweets aren’t needed on a daily basis. Their purpose seemed to be to help make special occasions special, and now I don’t even need them for that, although I’d be hard pressed to pass up a bite of spice cake with cream cheese frosting. Good thing that’s never around.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

Greenmachine
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Greenmachine » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:28 pm

Did any mother here experience a cognitive decline during and post partum? I have traced my greatest issues to that period.
Last edited by Greenmachine on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
:shock:

Health_Hacker
New User
New User

Postby Health_Hacker » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:31 am

Greenmachine wrote:Did any mother here experience a cognitive decline during and post partum? I have trace my greatest issues to that period.

I’m 4/4 and I definitely experienced post pardum issues. I don’t attribute it to my APOE4 status, rather the lack of estrogen for up to the first year. It seemed to slowly get better.
However, since then I’ve struggled with my body having these terrible hormone shifts (in line with my monthly cycle, so somewhat a normal thing) that last for about 2 days each week. I’ve kept a food diary, seen numerous doctors, and finally decided to do 23&me as a last resort as I couldn’t find an answer to my struggles.
Long story short, after about 6 years (my son is almost 7) I recently started taking omega 3 phospholipids and almost immediately everything seemed to resolve (hoping it’s not a coincidence)!!!

My theory is that my body became somewhat ‘depleted’ in omega3 which affected everything else. Since I have difficulty converting/absorbing DHA (apoe4/4), I apparently have to take a supplement. Fish oil made it much worse- fatigue, heavy flow, etc., so be sure to try Nordic Naturals Omega3 Phospholipids. Krill oil also seemed to work.
34 y/o mom & artist
Apoe4/4, COMT met/met
Avid runner

NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Postby NF52 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:06 pm

Health_Hacker wrote:...
I’m 4/4 and I definitely experienced post pardum issues. I don’t attribute it to my APOE4 status, rather the lack of estrogen for up to the first year. It seemed to slowly get better. ...Long story short, after about 6 years (my son is almost 7) I recently started taking omega 3 phospholipids and almost immediately everything seemed to resolve (hoping it’s not a coincidence)!!!

My theory is that my body became somewhat ‘depleted’ in omega3 which affected everything else. Since I have difficulty converting/absorbing DHA (apoe4/4), I apparently have to take a supplement. Fish oil made it much worse- fatigue, heavy flow, etc., so be sure to try Nordic Naturals Omega3 Phospholipids. Krill oil also seemed to work.
Welcome, Health-Hacker!

You've given yourself an apt name, after figuring out both your ApoE 4/4 status and your need for DHA! You've also given a great example of how we can be proactive in self-hacking to "upgrade" our system engineering. We hope you'll share more of your story, and will enjoy browsing this site for ideas in the Forums and the Wiki Table of Contents. I bet your son appreciates having a mom who is a strong, smart "health-hacker'!
4/4 and still an optimist!

SamNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Postby SamNZ » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:36 pm

Health_Hacker wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:Did any mother here experience a cognitive decline during and post partum? I have trace my greatest issues to that period.

I’m 4/4 and I definitely experienced post pardum issues. I don’t attribute it to my APOE4 status, rather the lack of estrogen for up to the first year. It seemed to slowly get better.
However, since then I’ve struggled with my body having these terrible hormone shifts (in line with my monthly cycle, so somewhat a normal thing) that last for about 2 days each week. I’ve kept a food diary, seen numerous doctors, and finally decided to do 23&me as a last resort as I couldn’t find an answer to my struggles.
Long story short, after about 6 years (my son is almost 7) I recently started taking omega 3 phospholipids and almost immediately everything seemed to resolve (hoping it’s not a coincidence)!!!

Welcome Health Hacker - being a functional medicine health coach I love to hear of peoples success in creating their own health. You are obviously very passionate and determined to have not given up during your 6 year struggle. Hopefully the cognitive decline is completely resolved. Another great resource in this website is the Primer which you can click on and gives you a great overview of lots of areas of interest and explains a lot of different information to aid you in keeping your brain functioning optimally . Thank you again for sharing, it really makes our community tick, we would love for you to introduce yourself further.
Samantha McBride
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”