ProLon Experience

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
JimBG
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

ProLon Experience

Post by JimBG »

This week I completed my first cycle of the ProLon Fasting Mimicking Diet. I've been toying with the idea for a while then came across a YouTube video of Dr. Joel Kahn who highly endorsed it and that sold me. Although I am not a vegan, I know he is one of its biggest advocates and talked like the FMD was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Coincidentally, this past week Rhonda Patrick released her second podcast with Valter Longo which was quite interesting. One of his speculations is that our bodies are preprogrammed with an internal repair program, similar to how your body will repair itself externally from a cut or bruise. He suspects that the internal program is triggered by extended fasts, and that it lies dormant because we are always eating.

I have been doing time restricted feeding (6 hrs or less feeding window) with a good fat diet (EVOO; salmon; nuts; avocado) at about 65%, protein at 15%, and carbs at 20% for several months. Hence I have maintained a mild ketosis of about 0.5 to 0.8 mmol/L. My fasting glucose ranges from 90 to 100 mg/dl, with some outliers at 110. So what were my results after 5 days? There was daily improvement so that by the end my ketones were a record high of 3.3 and fasting glucose a record low of 70. I also lost 5 pounds, I suspect mostly in my midsection which feels tighter and my pants looser. I also felt virtually no hunger on days 4 and 5 and today day 6 feel more energetic. The food was quite tasty with the menu very organized. I felt I could have continued on the program for several more days if I had to. I did a lipid panel with my Cholestech LDX at the start but will wait a week or so before doing a second. I plan to do 2 more cycles spaced by about 25 days per the recommendation. My objectives are to reduce as much a possible my midsection visceral fat, improve my lipid profile as well as my insulin sensitivity. So far so good.
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: ProLon Experience

Post by cdamaden »

Love it. Your diet and FBG is similar to mine. I’m midway through Rhonda’s podcast too. Thank you for posting your experience.
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

NewRon wrote:Well done! Prolon Diet Arrived
Hi NewRon,

Thanks for linking to your original posts and pictures from September 2017 of your ProLon package in the U.K. I just added the label so that folks would know what they are linking to--it's a helpful thread. (Always ready to benefit from our cousins across the pond.) Cheers!
4/4 and still an optimist!
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Thanks NF52!
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
JimBG
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by JimBG »

Thanks for the link NewRon. Lots of interesting comments. The research around the FMD seems pretty solid. My guess is that some day it will likely become an adjunct to the standard care for many disorders.
JimBG
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by JimBG »

As an update today I obtained my Lipid Panel from my Cholestech LDX analyzer 10 days after completing my FMD (they suggest waiting 1 week) and compared it to the one taken the morning I started:

---------------7/9-------------7/25

TC-------------242-------------209
HDL------------55---------------45
Tri--------------93--------------111
LDL------------169--------------142
N-HDL---------187---------------164
TC/HDL--------4.4-------------- 4.6
TRI./HDL-------1.7--------------- 2.5
Remnant--------18----------------22
Glu-------------101---------------94

Interesting that my Cholesterol and LDL declined, but my HDL was down and my triglycerides were up, negatively impacting my ratios.
My FBS improved and so far seems to be lower than before as I have periodically checked it. I have regained about three pounds of the five I lost but my waist measurement remains about 1 inch less and I do feel tighter in my midsection. I also have noticed that my skin appears to be more shiny since the FMD protocol was completed. I'm planning on doing a second cycle in 2 weeks.