Sleep Tracker

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Arbre
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Sleep Tracker

Post by Arbre »

Interesting thread.

I own a Xiaomi mi band 4, and I am doubtful about the quality of information of the sleep tracker. In general, it recognizes relatively well the start and end times of my sleep (not perfect, though) but it systematically gives me a low deep sleep time, around 1h10min. I usually go to bed very early, around 9pm, and I sleep around 8 hours. I have never had any sleep problems, and I usually wake up with energy.

The problem I see is that deep sleep time is unobservable for a normal user. I guess that in a clinical environment, one could check the quality of the smart band records, by comparing with a reliable measurement for deep sleep. Is there any scientific, peer-reviewed paper on this?
Arbre
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Sleep Tracker

Post by Arbre »

Another question, regarding the Resting heart rate. Mi mi band 4 tells me that my Resting heart rate is usually around 60 to 63 bpm.

I have read that the typical RHR is between 60 to 100, with athletes being able to go down to 40. And also, usually (except for some diseases), "the lower the better".

So, I am happy with the results. However, when I measure my RHR myself during the day, usually it is around 80bpm. I have never measured anything around 60bpm. By googling, it seems the mi band 4 measures the RHR at night, when sleeping, so this could be the reason of the discrepancy. Or maybe not, and it is just that the mi band 4 is faulty.

I wear the mi band 4 about one centimeter up (away from the hand) the "big bone" of the wrist, which I think is the right location for the band.