Sleep Tracker

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Sleep Tracker

Post by HeatherLst »

I recently started seeing a new GP who specializes in Epigenetics. Within fifteen minutes of entering his office with my reports he had me on a new supplement protocol at night: Gaba 1g, L-theanine 400mg, melatonin 10mg. I’ve focused on my circadian rhythms for three years now and have impeccable sleep hygiene, but I was struggling with staying asleep, and I couldn’t get past an hour of deep sleep each night. Within two days of this protocol my deep sleep tripled! I now go to sleep 45 mins earlier, I stay asleep all night, and I’m getting three to four hours of deep sleep a night. I track it using an apple watch and the AutoSleep app. It uses a combination of heart rate drop and movement to determine sleep cycles. It’s been very informative!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
Morazan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Morazan »

Thanks for this, any recommended brands? I see all 3 on Amazon (“NOW Supplements,”) very affordable.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

HeatherLst wrote:I recently started seeing a new GP who specializes in Epigenetics. Within fifteen minutes of entering his office with my reports he had me on a new supplement protocol at night: Gaba 1g, L-theanine 400mg, melatonin 10mg. I’ve focused on my circadian rhythms for three years now and have impeccable sleep hygiene, but I was struggling with staying asleep, and I couldn’t get past an hour of deep sleep each night. Within two days of this protocol my deep sleep tripled! I now go to sleep 45 mins earlier, I stay asleep all night, and I’m getting three to four hours of deep sleep a night. I track it using an apple watch and the AutoSleep app. It uses a combination of heart rate drop and movement to determine sleep cycles. It’s been very informative!

That’s great progress! Even given the inexact nature of consumer sleep trackers sometimes real trends are apparent, which even Matthew Walker indicated once when citing some Fitbit data (sorry don’t have a link).

I found that about 750 mg gaba made me sluggish the next day so I stopped that experiment. I’ve taken l-theanine 100 mg am and pm for years. I think I’ll increase the pm l-theonine and melatonin and see what happens. I usually get 1-1.5 hours deep sleep, occasionally 1.5-2. Never more than 2 going by Fitbit data.

I do find going to sleep earlier, around 9 pm, aids my deep sleep.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Jarrow L-Theanine (Suntheanine) at 100 mg and 60 caps currently $2 off at Amazon ($4.58 instead of $6.54).
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hboroughs »

@HeatherLst do you feel tired the next day from that much melatonin? That is a hefty dose! Did the dr recommend this protocol specifically to support your APOe4 gene? Very interesting. My favorite sleep supplement is currently Phosphytidyl Serine but I am always looking for ways to better stay asleep through the night.
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

I don’t feel sleepy. I never ever would have taken that much on my own!

No, it’s not for APOE4. I started seeing him because I wanted a GP who understood Epigenetics and who could help me walk that fine line APOE4/4 demands. I wasn’t in his office five minutes though before he waved off any talk of APOE4 and began asking me other questions. It was like watching Sherlock work out a puzzle. Long story but he’d noticed signs of HPA axis dysfunction as soon as I walked in—but I’d totally missed them. He asked a ton of questions, his medical student took furious notes, he told me things about my childhood food issues no one ever should have known...and then put me on a protocol for my HPA axis issues. I take Gaba, melatonin and others at night, with Sam-e, Taurine and folinic Acid during the day. In three months we’ll reassess and move forward towards the next thing on the list. Sleep just happens to be a benefit of the protocol, so I’m paying attention!

APOE4/4
Lyssah
New User
New User

Post by Lyssah »

HeatherLst wrote: Long story but he’d noticed signs of HPA axis dysfunction as soon as I walked in—but I’d totally missed them. He asked a ton of questions, his medical student took furious notes, he told me things about my childhood food issues no one ever should have known...and then put me on a protocol for my HPA axis issues.
Hi Heather, so glad you found someone you think could be helping you. I suspect I have these issues too (HPA axis dysfunction) along with the lack of deep sleep symptoms. Would you mind telling us a little more about what he told you? Also, would you mind terribly if I asked you to send me the name of your practitioner in a private message? I have been looking for someone like this for a long time.
Flo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Flo »

Lyssah wrote:Hi Heather, so glad you found someone you think could be helping you. I suspect I have these issues too (HPA axis dysfunction) along with the lack of deep sleep symptoms. Would you mind telling us a little more about what he told you? Also, would you mind terribly if I asked you to send me the name of your practitioner in a private message? I have been looking for someone like this for a long time.
Dear Lyssah,

Welcome to the website! It's so great that after a long time of looking, you might have found a practitioner you are looking for :D
There is also a list of practitioners in the wiki if you are interested. The wiki is also a great place to find info on how-to use the site should you need it.
And here's a link to the primer Primer for your easy access.
Wishing you health and happiness for 2020,
Flo
babl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by babl »

I feel I should chime in to add my own experiences with the Oura ring. I bought one early in 2019 and used it for many months. At first I thought it was great, but after awhile I started to notice that on nights when I knew I'd tossed and turned and slept poorly all night, the Oura would report the next morning that I'd slept great with a lot of deep sleep. Conversely, on many nights where I felt I'd slept terrific and awakened the next day feeling refreshed and like I'd slept very well, the ring would often report that I'd had a very poor night of sleep. I started to feel like it wasn't reliable at all and I put it away. A few months later I decided to give it another try. Wore it for another month, but once again I found this same pattern. My experience with it was that it didn't seem at all reliable in telling me the quality of my sleep, or the amount of deep sleep I was getting. I know others feel differently, but for those still considering a purchase I thought I should mention my experience here. :)
Fredsbrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fredsbrain »

Hi Babl. Hmm. I've noticed the same problem after using it for several months. Lately, when I wake up the tracker does not correspond to the way I felt I slept. I wonder how many others out there are having this experience. I just went onto an Oura Ring FB group but haven't had a chance to check it out for comments.