Slacklining: Vestibular, working memory & more

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Slacklining: Vestibular, working memory & more

Post by sarahb12 »

So we have been going out to the park and setting up a slackline once or twice a week. I'm still pretty bad at it, but other than gaining some core and leg strength, I can now keep my balance on a regular floor on one leg with my eyes closed for almost 30 seconds. I couldn't do that at all before. So I know I'm growing neurons in the vestibular part of the brain.
E3/E4
Verax
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Verax »

In Alloway's research "The Working Memory Benefits of Proprioceptively Demanding Training: A Pilot Study" http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.2466/22.PMS.120v18x1 she writes, "One possible reason that the training yielded significant working memory gains could be that the training was proprioceptively dynamic, requiring proprioception and at least one other factor—such as locomotion or navigation—at the same time, which may have contributed to the improvements in working memory performance."

In the Psychology Today article at https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... -brain?eml, she writes, "We also tested their working memory using a standard test – backward digit recall. Participant’s working memory was tested before beginning the balance training and proprioceptively dynamic activities, and then after two hours of training."

I'm not an expert, but it is common knowledge that Alzheimer's has the peculiar effect on working memory of inability to dual-task, that is, memory deficits can be elicited by, at the same time, dynamic activities using implicit knowledge such as walking, yoga, or balancing, while working memory cognitive tasks such as testing backward digit recall. (An extension of working memory tests such as the 1-back or 2-back recall games you can find online at places such as brainturk.) Some labs have gait tracks to test this and differential diagnosis of memory problems or dementia diagnosis.

I wonder if the other factor in training besides proprioceptive dynamic movement such as slacklining balance training should be not only locomotion or navigation and also a dual-back test of working memory simultaneous with the slacklining instead of before and after. It would be interesting to see if that can improve cognition any differently than the previous trial. I believe some of us have tried backwards digit recall training while daily walking, how did that go, any measurable results?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I was trying to juggle on my slackline on Saturday. Significantly harder than juggling on the ground. I'm OK juggling 3 things, and a very beginning slackliner. I did notice a material improvement in the number of steps I could take on the slackline, after a couple week lapse in practice than before. Also just tried juggling lead shot paperweight bags while counting backwards. Hmm, interesting things to add. Thanks Verax!
Tincup
E3,E4
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

My naturopath who is 93 has always recommended walking on four limbs to stimulate and balance brain activity. Like crawling, but feet, not knees.
Hughette
3/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

In this paper: THE WORKING MEMORY BENEFITS OF PROPRIOCEPTIVELY DEMANDING TRAINING: A PILOT STUDY 1, 2
ROSS G . ALLOWAY AND TRACY PACKIAM ALLOWAY ( doi: 10.2466/22.PMS.120v18x1 ) Perceptual & Motor Skills: Learning & Memory 2015, 120, 3, 1-10. Perceptual & Motor Skills 2015

Working memory increased significantly with proprioception demands.

Summary .— The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of proprioception on working memory. It was also of interest whether an acute and highly intensive period of exercise. The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of proprioception on working memory. It was also of interest whether an acute and highly intensive period of exercise would yield working memory gains. The training group completed a series of proprioceptively demanding exercises. There were also control classroom and yoga groups. Working memory was measured using a backward digit recall test. The data indicated that active, healthy adults who undertook acute, proprioceptively demanding training improved working memory scores compared to the classroom and yoga groups. One possible reason that the training yielded significant working memory gains could be that the training was proprioceptively dynamic , requiring proprioception and at least one other factor—such as locomotion or navigation—at the same time, which may have contributed to the improvements in working memory performance.

In the full paper they sent the subjects to a MovNat workshop. Here are some MovNat links:

http://www.primalist.io/wp-content/uplo ... movnat.pdf

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index ... -beginner/

https://www.movnat.com/find-a-workshop/

https://www.movnat.com/doable-movements/

I may have to add some MovNat to my slacklining...
Tincup
E3,E4
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

Tincup, I'm in awe of your juggling while on a slackline. I might try to juggle on solid ground at some point later.
E3/E4
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

Tincup wrote:interesting about the weight on the heel. I'll have to try that. My max has been 11 steps and 6 or 8 is more like the usual. My trees are about 45' apart and I understand that a tighter line is easier, with a shorter distance. I also have a 2" wide line with a ratchet like from ratchet straps or tie downs. It has a fair amout of mass and when the line swings, it seeps to add to the magnitude of the swing. I've thought about using a clmbing set up with 1" webbing and some rappel rings to secure it. Would have a lot less mass. Also the tighter you pull it, the more force on the trees and my trees aren't too large, so I don't want to overload them. Also thought about anchoring to the base of the trees and running the webbing over an "X" support at each end I could construct. This would be easier on the trees and also shorten the unsupported distance.
I found the 11 steps quite impressive. After a year of consistent work, mostly 2-3-4 steps, I've made some sudden progress over the last couple months. 15 steps the other day.... :-) If I get good, I might try to learn to juggle. I'm sure that would take even longer.
E3/E4