4/4 teenager

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Ralphsdaughter
Contributor
Contributor

4/4 teenager

Post by Ralphsdaughter »

What would you do if you found out your 14 year old is a 4/4? Too young to tell him .... too young to understand .... what supplements should I get in to him now to start protection and what should I be incorporating into his diet at home .... without telling him why ...
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: 4/4 teenager

Post by Tincup »

14 can be a tough time. My 4/4 wife didn't find out till she was 54 (now 58) and she had a 21 year Navy career and she's OK. I'd encourage helmet use for everything and discourage sports where concussions are likely. I'd encourage a healthy, real food diet that didn't have a lot of high glycemic junk in it. I would not go crazy.

My daughter was 24 when she found out. She's always eaten pretty well. Last fall she and her husband decided to eat per Gundry's plan when they are at home. The are both military officers so they eat away from home quite a bit on travel and other work assignments. A month or so ago she was involved in a very busy week exercise - 18 hours/day. She said she picked that week to be 100% compliant with Gundry, even though she ate few meals at home. Point is, she's driving all this.

Gave them a Keto-Mojo glucose/ketone monitor last fall as her husband's family is full of metabolic dysfunction. They both only spiked from like 78 to 82 an hour after eating, so excellent.

If you can keep your son's glycemic system in good shape, that is likely good enough for now, IMO.
Tincup
E3,E4
Ralphsdaughter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ralphsdaughter »

That is good advice, thank you, and in line with what I was thinking. Time is on his side here so getting him to eat healthy is a great start. Good advice on concussions too. He has not had one yet although he took a line drive in baseball to the face this year. He plays baseball and basketball but no football.... it was upsetting to find out his status and shocking to say the least. I've been worrying about it a lot but he is so young, you're right. Several decades and hopefully medical research will get somewhere too. Thanks for the perspective.
WillsMeme
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WillsMeme »

My daughter just learned she is 4/4, which means her teenagers are at least 4/? They both play soccer, so I worry about headers. I think age-appropriate conversations will be the key as they get older. My daughter is already improving her family lifestyle in response to learning her 4/4 status. I gave her Dr. Bredesen's book, which she is now reading. It's never too early to take charge of your own health.
"Fortune favors the prepared mind." -- Louis Pasteur
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Yes, headers! :shock: Three kids in soccer and I cringe with each header. I think we will live to see the day when headers are outlawed, except for maybe in the box. No reason to ever take a goal kick off the head IMO.
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

We found recently my daughter is 4/4. She’s also 14. We had this conversation in another thread and people gave some great advice. Personally, we decided not to tell her until she’s at least 18 and then give her the choice of knowing. But she did ask us to help create a nutrition plan for her from her data, and well, the basic protocol is good for anyone. Sleep. Timed eating (on the 10-12 hr end, since she’s young.) Eating real, whole foods. More plants and fish, which she leans towards anyways. Minimizing toxic exposures. Increasing her minerals, b vitamins and probiotics. If she can do those things, I feel like she’s on a good path for life. And then when she’s ready, she can choose what she wants to know and when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by hill dweller »

Ditto everything above plus no alcohol, no smoking. And exercise as a life habit.