CIRS/Type 3 AD and Generalized Brain Atrophy per Dr. Bredesen

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: CIRS/Type 3 AD and Generalized Brain Atrophy per Dr. Bredesen

Post by floramaria »

buck3Maureen wrote:So since then I have dropped everything with regard to clearing out toxins except a homemade sauna that I try and use twice a week. I also dropped a lot of supplements that were not doing what they were intended to help. I have retaken the SAGE and now score 29 out of 30 after three years. All of the very scary cognitive problems have gone away.
Wonderful news, Maureen. Congratulations.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

SusanJ wrote:You are one smart cookie. I can see your vision coming true!
Thank you, Susan! :D
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

buck3Maureen wrote:This is from my perspective/experience and not to try and influence anyone away from something that works for them.

I was fortunate to get to perhaps the last seminar that dr B held in Sonoma. I knew I had declining cognitive health and the tests that I did prior to going confirmed MCI (25 out of 30 on the SAGE test) . In my one on one interview Dr.B confirmed I had type 3. I was terrified. I began taking oodles of supplements, added the fasting and knocked out lots of carbs, added a lot more exercise and meditation ( I had just started plant based diet and so stuck to it.) I tried to read and understand Dr. Shoemaker's book and failed. I found a Dr. that was trained in his methods though and began doing all the tests and taking the colestyramine. I did this for a few months and found it very difficult since taking something three times a day on an empty stomach while shortening your window for eating and trying to down a lot of supplements that you had to take with food,was challenging to say the least. Finally I searched on line to read of any success stories of people doing this and found none. I asked my Dr. and he said that he had just begun this and so had no success stories.

So since then I have dropped everything with regard to clearing out toxins except a homemade sauna that I try and use twice a week. I also dropped a lot of supplements that were not doing what they were intended to help. I have retaken the SAGE and now score 29 out of 30 after three years. All of the very scary cognitive problems have gone away.

So finally my point is that the therapy that I was using for type 3 was causing me a lot of stress and I lost faith in it. I am open to evidence that it works but perhaps other aspects of Dr. B's program can be enough for some type 3's.
Maureen,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Congratulations on simplifying your protocol and getting such excellent results. I’m curious: what kind of sauna is yours? I bought a far infrared (FIR) sauna. I can’t say it’s relaxing or fun. It’s a cardiovascular workout! But I’m certain it’s helping me detoxify.

Also, how did you decide which supplements to stop? I’m taking too many now. I can’t keep this up. It’s taking up space in my stomach for what should be real food, and it’s costing me over $500 a month.

I’m in the place where you were with attempting to take the cholestyramine (in my case, twice a day at 1/2 dose is the most I’ve been able to manage) and juggling that with fasting 14 hours overnight and taking a bunch of supplements with food. Add to that my longstanding early satiety and constipation and wham! I’m struggling.

I took a break from the cholestyramine and have restarted it. I’ve decided that if I feel too full or otherwise uncomfortable, I’ll skip my next dose. Today will be the third day in a row that I’ve only managed one 1/2 dose. I wonder if taking so little is worthwhile. I see my FM PA next week and will discuss all of this with her. It’s tempting to do a third urine mycotoxins test to see where I stand now. Maybe I’m done with mycotoxin excavation. My second test showed I was well on my way with using my sauna, activated charcoal, and s-acetyl glutathione (and no cholestyramine).
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

floramaria wrote:
TheBrain wrote:I’ve started envisioning myself as a healthy, cognitively intact old woman who is writing her next book, engaged with friends, playing badminton with the ladies and pool with the gentlemen. The past two nights, these images have helped me get back to sleep. This strategy came from deep within two nights ago. I’m sticking with it.
Powerful medicine, TheBrain, Powerful medicine! and right from within you!
Since you seem to be open to every avenue of healing, may I can offer a suggestion?

Yes! Stick with it. Keep that healthy, cognitively intact old woman in your mind and in your intention.
In Qigong, which is basically Chinese energy medicine, there is a distinction between imagination and Intention (Yi). Intention involves activating your will. (Maybe not the best thing to do while you are trying to get back to sleep where maybe the soothing quality of the vision alone serve you best. ) If can can also take time during the day to bring to mind that beautiful and empowering personal image, which as you said, arose from deep within, then relax, take a few deep breaths, and send your intention, from both your heart and your mind to add energy to that image, that could also "strengthen the medicine". Not forcing or striving but just adding the quiet power of your personal will to this image which arose in you spontaneously. doesn't need to be long. I am a big fan of "meditation on the fly" . v30 seconds or a minute, if that is all you have. longer if that works for you.
Offered with love and encouragement.
You are very inspiring in your bravery and persistence in the face of such difficult challenges.
Floramaria,

I love this suggestion. Thank you for taking the time to share it. I'm all for "strengthening the medicine." Moments ago, I sent my intention to my image, following your instructions, for the first time. I'll continue to do so during the day, which I agree is probably the best time to do it.

I'm always open to suggestions!

I also want to thank CoachDD for giving me a suggestion to help me get back to sleep in the middle of the night. She suggested I not look at the clock. Well, I always looked at my watch. Inevitably, I'd have a story around whatever time it was, which would then trigger anxiety. So I'm no longer checking my watch, and it's definitely helping. My husband has also stopped checking his watch, and it's making a difference for him (not that he has insomnia like I do).
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

I also want to thank CoachDD for giving me a suggestion to help me get back to sleep in the middle of the night. She suggested I not look at the clock. Well, I always looked at my watch. Inevitably, I'd have a story around whatever time it was, which would then trigger anxiety. So I'm no longer checking my watch, and it's definitely helping. My husband has also stopped checking his watch, and it's making a difference for him (not that he has insomnia like I do).
So very happy to hear you are sleeping better, Brain!! This suggestion was a big help to me as well. :)

I thought I'd share here that my FM doc is recommending Welchol (prescription tablets) instead of cholestyramine (better tolerated I'm told). I'm also in the process of reducing the amount of supplements, but now taking N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) (2000 mg/day). He also instructed me to take glycine (6-12 grams/day - may also help with sleep), acetyl-glutathione (600-900 mg/day) and selenium - they are all critical for mold detox. He suggests this type of glutathione because it is less expensive than liposomal and it is modified so it is better absorbed than regular glutathione. He will go up to 1200 mg/day if need be, but is trying to keep costs down.

I was also given Biocidin (with xylitol) nasal spray due to the positive MARCoNS result. I've been taking the NAC for a couple of weeks and can see a difference in my brain fog and energy already! Yay!!
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

"
Thank you for sharing your experience. Congratulations on simplifying your protocol and getting such excellent results. I’m curious: what kind of sauna is yours? "

I put together a near infrared sauna in an unused shower. Four red lights and the fixtures they go into plus a plastic form to hold them. It cost me less than 150 dollars. I find it very relaxing - not sure if it is removing any toxins.

" Also, how did you decide which supplements to stop? I’m taking too many now. I can’t keep this up. It’s taking up space in my stomach for what should be real food, and it’s costing me over $500 a month. ""

I had been given a list of supplements when I returned home from the seminar. For each supplement they identified what problem in my blood work it was supposed to address. For example about three of them were for my high fasting glucose which did not go down after months taking the supplements, so I dropped them.