HeartMath

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: HeartMath

Post by Julie G »

Hmmm, I'm still waiting to hear back from the HeartMath folks on the relationship between HRV and coherence. I've emailed and left a voicemail. I'll share once I do.

In the meantime, I ran a very unscientific experiment correlating pulse wave velocity (PWV) via my iHeart gadget to a "coherent" state. I did a few rounds on HeartMath with 100% coherence, then did a PWV reading and beat my personal best by 3 years. LOL, there might be something to this...
IMG_0349.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Ok, I finally heard back from the HeartMath peeps. In response to my question re. the correlation between HRV and "coherence," I was provided this paper and response:
Coherence is a measure derived from the HRV or inter-beat-interval file in same way that all HRV metrics are derived from the IBI file. It reflects the pattern of the HRV waveform rather than quantifying the amount of HRV that occurring in the waveform.
I haven't read the paper, but the response is a bit frustrating. Feels like a "bait & switch." They reel you in with HRV science (pretty firm) and then provide only "coherence" feedback :?.
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

I played with heart math 20 years ago. I think my COMT++ interferes with the time to relaxation. So it appeared to not work. I had a 9pin RS232 serial connector for my finger sensor. Back then, I so identified with Seinfeld's "serenity now" episode.

The actual information was hard to find back then but here is what I think it is. R-R is the time between actual beats. 1 over that is frequency. So if you can get access to the raw data, you can probably figure it out with excel.
E3/E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

The actual information was hard to find back then but here is what I think it is. R-R is the time between actual beats. 1 over that is frequency. So if you can get access to the raw data, you can probably figure it out with excel.
Thank you, Sarah! Sorry it was a fail for you.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hi Julie,

I'm guessing for what you want (as somebody previously mentioned), EliteHRV. It is the app to get. It can be paired with a Polar H10 chest strap sensor (ECG heart rate monitor strap). EliteHRV also is coming out with a finger pulse monitor that will work with their app. You don't have to wet the electrodes and put on your chest like the Polar, but it is more expensive. In this interview one of the founders talks about breathing impacting HRV. He says it is OK as long as you are consistent with your breathing when you test. Then you can still see changes. At the end of the podcast is a 10% discount on the finger device. The app is free.

My other apps give me a whole bunch of stats, but EliteHRV integrates them into one number, which is more useful for me (I have the H10).

I think training with Heart Math is a good thing. As I recall you want to keep increasing the difference between the HR peaks and troughs. You can see this in the paper you linked.
Tincup
E3,E4
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

One more gadget to add to the list: I just ordered a Whoop strap, which is a device you wear on your wrist that tracks HRV with four other variables on a 24/7 basis. It's popular among elite athletes (a group of which I am NOT a member :) ), and the platform analyzes the data to help you maximize recovery and sleep quality, and minimize strain. I'm interested in what it can tell me about sleep and my workouts, particularly if I'm undertraining or overtaining. I'll try to provide feedback on my experience in a future post.
Angelheart301
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Angelheart301 »

"One more gadget to add to the list: I just ordered a Whoop strap, which is a device you wear on your wrist that tracks HRV with four other variables on a 24/7 basis. It's popular among elite athletes (a group of which I am NOT a member :) "

Hi xactly,
I just listened to the Will Ahmed/Richard Isaacson podcast (https://www.whoop.com/thelocker/podcast ... revention/ ) and among other things, learned about the Whoop. Do you have an opinion on it after 2 years?
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Angelheart301 wrote:Hi xactly,
I just listened to the Will Ahmed/Richard Isaacson podcast (https://www.whoop.com/thelocker/podcast ... revention/ ) and among other things, learned about the Whoop. Do you have an opinion on it after 2 years?
xactly wrote:One more gadget to add to the list: I just ordered a Whoop strap, which is a device you wear on your wrist that tracks HRV with four other variables on a 24/7 basis. It's popular among elite athletes (a group of which I am NOT a member :) ), and the platform analyzes the data to help you maximize recovery and sleep quality, and minimize strain. I'm interested in what it can tell me about sleep and my workouts, particularly if I'm undertraining or overtaining. I'll try to provide feedback on my experience in a future post.
Hi Angelheart30,
I used the quote feature and re-posted your question to xactly . Quoting xactly will then generate an email notifcation that you have quoted the post. It is really useful to notify the person who posted the original post especially when you are replying to something that is years old. Just click on the quotation marks in upper right corner of post you are replying to. You can edit it, if it is a long quote. There is info on how to do this, and other useful tips at How-To Get the Most out of the ApoE4.info website.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health