Multivitamin Pure Encapsulations 950

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Lindajane
Contributor
Contributor

Multivitamin Pure Encapsulations 950

Post by Lindajane »

Does anyone take this multivitamin? I'm looking at switching to this because it looks to be a great product and I could stop my B complex which is also a pure product. It is a bit pricey at 1.33 per day. Here is the breakdown:

Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 6 Capsules
Servings per Container: 60
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Vitamin A (as beta carotene) 15000 IU 300%
Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 1000 mg 1667%
Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) (D3) 800 IU 200%
Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopherol succinate) 400 IU 1333%
Thiamin (as thiamin HCl) (B1) 100 mg 6667%
Riboflavin (vitamin B2) 50 mg 2941%
Niacin (as niacinamide) 100 mg 500%
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl) 25 mg 1250%
Folate (as Metafolin®, L-5-MTHF) 800 mcg 200%
Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) 1000 mcg 16667%
Biotin 800 mcg 267%
Pantothenic Acid (as calcium pantothenate) (B5) 400 mg 4000%
Calcium (as calcium citrate) 300 mg 30%
Iodine (as potassium iodide) 200 mcg 133%
Magnesium (as magnesium citrate) 200 mg 50%
Zinc (as zinc picolinate) 25 mg 167%
Selenium (as selenomethionine) 200 mcg 286%
Copper (as copper glycinate) 2 mg 100%
Manganese (as manganese aspartate) 5 mg 250%
Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate) 200 mcg 167%
Molybdenum (as molybdenum aspartate) 100 mcg 133%
Potassium (as potassium aspartate) 99 mg 3%
Boron (as boron glycinate) 2 mg 133%
Vanadium (as vanadium aspartate) 200 mcg 3%
Inositol hexaniacinate 90 mg *
Ascorbyl Palmitate (fat-soluble vitamin C) 120 mg *
Riboflavin-5-Phosphate (activated B2) 25 mg *
Pyridoxal 5' Phosphate (activated B6) 25 mg *
Mixed Carotenoids (as lutein, lycopene, zeaxanthin) 850 mcg *
*Daily value not established.
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Multivitamin Pure Encapsulations 950

Post by xactly »

I like a lot of the ingredients and doses. I couldn't take it because it has copper, a significant amount of Vitamin E, and calcium.

If your copper/zinc ratio is good (1:1), copper may not be a problem.

You can find out if you have the risk allele for Vitamin E supplementation by running raw genetic data through Rhonda Patrick's report (foundmyfitness.com/genetics).

I think there are threads elsewhere on the forum that discuss the issues with calcium supplementation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

The small amount of copper did make me cringe a bit. My impression (someone who knows more, please speak up!) is we already get too much copper just from incidental contact: food (soil mineral content), copper pipes, maybe others.

I tested my copper and zinc levels 6 months ago for the first time. My copper wasn't bad, but my zinc was low. So I started supplementing daily with zinc. I recently retested, my zinc went up to a nice level, :D but my copper also went up!! I have no idea why, I'm guessing something in the diet, but what?

Anyway, Lindajane, taking one multivitamin is very attractive. FOR ME, I take supplements based on where my biomarkers indicate or to address certain issues. The result is I take a number of pills every day, 3 times a day. It's a pain in the butt, but it's what works for me.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

I use Pure Encapsulations O.N.E. because it covers a multitude of personal genetic variants.

As the name suggests it's one per day. No copper. No calcium. Less of everything else. If you need more B vitamins, you can supplement separately, which I'd highly recommend to anyone, and dosing based on your labs.

The high amounts of some of the vitamins in the 950 product are too high IMHO, because if you're eating a varied diet, lots of veggies, you just don't need those amounts. You can double check by using something like cronometer to track your food.

EDIT - here's the link to the ingredients: https://www.pureencapsulations.com/o-n- ... 01792.html
Lindajane
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lindajane »

Thanks for everyone's replies. SusanJ I appreciate your info. I think I will stick with the Shaklee vita Lea. Pure does make many variations of the 950, one w/o copper. Supplements can be so confusing!
Lindajane
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lindajane »

I sat down last night and compared the Pure ONE and Shaklee Vita Lea w/o iron ingredients. Some ingredients in the Vita Lea are worrisome as well, calcium and copper. So I will be switching to the Pure ONE. I also looked at the Pure B Complex I currently take and plan to continue with it for now. Thanks again for every ones thoughts and words of wisdom.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

You can find out if you have the risk allele for Vitamin E supplementation by running raw genetic data through Rhonda Patrick's report (foundmyfitness.com/genetics).
Thank you for this tip! I just ran the report ($10) and I'm really impressed. I've run reports elsewhere, but this one was particularly helpful, and not just about Vitamin E (which appears to be harmful for me in supplemental form) but other health issues I'm having.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

I have finally run my data through Found My Fitness, and it looks like supplemental vitamin e is a bad idea for me too. Unfortunately I may stop taking the Pure Encapsulations ONE. Have others looking to avoid vitamin E found any combinations that work? I know that I will not be able to maintain fistfuls of different supplements, but love the other ingredients!
Creekside
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Creekside »

I'd love to find a single vitamin supplement with no vitamin E, calcium, or copper. Has anyone found one?
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I'm curious to hear others thoughts on supplemental manganese taken daily via something like a multivitamin.

While the element is a required trace mineral, it also acts as a neurotoxin in larger amounts -- this seems at least as sketchy as taking vitamin E, calcium, iron, or copper.