How could my homocysteine levels go up on B-complex

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: How could my homocysteine levels go up on B-complex

Post by SusanJ »

Good idea to talk to your docs. They can help you figure it out because now you'll have some good questions to follow up on. Good luck!

re: "wicked smart", well, I'm mostly just curious when a good problem comes along. :geek:
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

SusanJ wrote: From a quick check, spironolactone needs SAMe to be metabolized.
Hi Susan! Does there happen to be a list anywhere of things that require SAMe to be metabolized?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

circular wrote:Does there happen to be a list anywhere of things that require SAMe to be metabolized?
Not that I'm aware. As far as I know, you pretty much have to look at individual metabolic pathways to see who needs methyl donors.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

SusanJ wrote:
circular wrote:Does there happen to be a list anywhere of things that require SAMe to be metabolized?
Not that I'm aware. As far as I know, you pretty much have to look at individual metabolic pathways to see who needs methyl donors.
Thanks, I was curious in the context of SAM-e supplementation.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Julie G wrote:Another thought... have you increased you meat intake? That can also increase homocysteine.
Interesting, Gundry told us when he was at Loma Linda, they noticed increased homocysteine in the vegans.

I'd asked him the question as my homocysteine was around 7 when on a "standard" meat, fat & non-starchy veggie low carb/keto diet. After switching to Gundry's ovo-pegan, low animal protein, high veggie diet its 10 or higher.
Tincup
E3,E4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Not much B12 in a vegan diet. It's recommended that vegans supplement because of this.
Slacker
E4/E4
Grace
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Grace »

What about MTHFR? Do you know if you carry any variant genes? MTHFR genes control methylation, which is a vital chemical process that occurs in every cell. Many people have MTHFR gene mutations, which means that you don't methylate as effectively. You would need to switch to an active form of vitamin B (methylcobalamine) for your body to make use of that vitamin, specifically the folate. Because the necessary chemical chain reaction does not occur, homocysteine cannot be metabolized by folate properly and levels build up. You can research it and learn more. Here is an article to start learning about this: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/abs/10. ... 2.37711.e7
JasonMy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JasonMy »

shacherry wrote:The Vitamin B-Complex is called vital nutrients the brand was suggested by a naturopath who was referred to me by Dr. Isaacson, (he heads Weill Cornell's Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic)

HIC 100 mg
Riboflavin 25mg
B6 25mg
folate 400mcg
B12 500mcg
biotin 400mcg
pantothenic acid 200mg
I decided to look into this because I just bought a bunch of Vitamins for Cyber Monday. Another contributor stated that Niacin can negatively affect homocysteine and that seems to be true according to https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23768418. I looked into the B-Complex you are taking and it says it contains 75 mg of Niacinamide which is a lot. You might benefit by taking Vitamin B6 (Specifically pyridoxal 5’ phosphate) 20 to 50 mg, Vitamin B12 (Specifically Methylcobalamin) 1 mg and L-methylfolate 0.8 mg separately instead of in the B-complex. You could also add 500 mg of Glycine. Also lowering your intake of nuts, beef, lamb, cheese, turkey, pork, fish, soy, eggs, dairy, beans and shellfish can help.
shacherry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shacherry »

JasonMy wrote:The Vitamin B-Complex is called vital nutrients the brand was suggested by a naturopath who was referred to me by Dr. Isaacson.
Thank you for investigating this. Your suggestions are helpful. Dante Labs is running a whole genome next gen sequencing for 199 dollars for the holiday. Perhaps I’ll get a better picture of what has to be done once I get back the results.
ApoE 3/4
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Karina52 »

was the B Complex methyl? In addition to being 4/4, I also have an MTHFR defect (C677T) which impairs my methylation cycle up to 80%. My homocysteine was high (12.7) but I also brought it down to 7.2 with METHYL B Complex. If I took standard B Complex with folic acid and cyanocobalamin, my homocysteine would go up too since my body can't use it.