Peter Attia Fast

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Peter Attia Fast

Post by Ski »

Peter Attia has a good post and podcast on his latest fasting experience with his own lab work posted as well.

The most surprising thing which I learnt about him, in which I think also speaks volumes in terms of how neutral/open he remains on these topics, is that he takes Metformin, a statin, as well as Zetia.

https://peterattiamd.com/ama02/
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Peter Attia Fast

Post by Fiver »

Thanks! Read the text version of the podcast and it was really interesting. Might take me weeks to get through all his stuff on the website though....

It was interesting to see how much of what I've been doing is what he does, just on a much higher level.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Interesting! I haven’t listened, only read show notes. Does he ever go into his decision making re. atorvastatin and metformin?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Julie G wrote:Interesting! I haven’t listened, only read show notes. Does he ever go into his decision making re. atorvastatin and metformin?
On the statin, I'm pretty sure he's a Dr. Thomas Dayspring disciple.
Tincup
E3,E4
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

In all his talks, articles, I’ve never once seen him mention that he takes anything. I would probably say he is one of the most objective physicians I’ve ever followed.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Ski wrote:In all his talks, articles, I’ve never once seen him mention that he takes anything..
From your link:
Medications (Prescription)

Metformin 1 g BID
Atorvastatin 10 mg M/W/F qhs
Ezetimibe 10 mg Tu/Th/Sa qam
Tincup
E3,E4
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Yes, that was what I referred to in my original post. Prior to that I’m not sure he’s ever mentioned he was on medication.
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

Julie G wrote:Interesting! I haven’t listened, only read show notes. Does he ever go into his decision making re. atorvastatin and metformin?
I think Peter Attia is taking metformin to suppress TOR. I heard him discussing it on a Tim Ferriss podcast from Easter Island that also included David Sabatini, the researcher who discovered the relationship between rapamycin and TOR. I think the speculation about using metformin to suppress TOR is in this episode but, if not, it's in one of Tim's other podcasts with Peter Attia.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

I'm interested in the atrovastatin question too.....since it is the one I've chosen. I"ll do some more looking around his site.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

I'm particularly interested that he may be taking metformin. As I'm pretty certain my doc would not prescribe it for me at this point, I'm trialing berberine at a lower dose (500mgs) as a potential substitute.