Paradigm shift?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Paradigm shift?

Post by Stavia »

I've been thinking, my whole life I've assembled a meal as a macronutrient-paradigmed threesome: protein, carbs, veggies - in different proportions over the years, but that was the framework.

I was now thinking about designing my meals around a wide variety and densest concentration of micronutrients? Which will be mainly plant based (including nuts, EVOO) of course, with omega3s and etcs from oily fish and a bit of grass fed beef (and milk products - haven't worked out the details in my head yet) and free range chickens and eggs?
This of course would result in little grains (except possibly quinoa), and also very little white potato because they are not nutrient dense.

This would take the worry about macronutrient percentages out of the equation.
What do you think?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Paradigm shift?

Post by Julie G »

I've had so many paradigm shifts on my ApoE4 journey, Stavia- that my head now spins :lol:

Sounds like you're considering replacing less nutritious grains with vegs for superior nutrition? That's the path I'm currently on. It will also naturally reduce your glycemic load. There's plenty of evidence indicating that's very important for E4 carriers. However, I'm not sure THAT will automatically take macronutrient percentage issues out of the equation...
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

yip, I think it will probably end up with 40-50% fat, 15% protein-ish - ie Mediterranean type but with less grains. I was just thinking to prioritise the micronutrients and let the macronutrients take care of themselves? Or is that too simplistic?
Gosh, I'm starting to spin again....
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Spinning with you :D
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

micro macro that is all nonsense!!

natives never eat like that!! the modern pseudo scientfic trendy foodies is for people thinking they too smart for their own good who try to concoct these shifts to absurdity.
Just read Weston Price!! tell me if he talks about macro/micro!!!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

ya Spunky, I'm kinda with you. I would like to just eat food and live my life
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

Stavia wrote:ya Spunky, I'm kinda with you. I would like to just eat food and live my life
yep who says we can't with a few adjustments for those almost obvious booby traps when you come to think about what so called scientific research has come up with or mislead even doctors so called respected and smart ones over the years.

here is an E3/4 cardiologist doctor who gets it, haven't heard from him in a while as he is now in his late 70's but he has found the formula which works for himself and he less frequently posts at DrDavis Trackyourplaque site where they are about 70 E4's so I get a handle of what works for them there.

I've put this on numerous times but people here seem to be thrashing around the scientific research in circles or being put off base too easily so I mostly ignore things that go astray so I can get on with my research medical and financial, hobbies like habitat gardening now ready to plant some fragrant hostas and planning our next week trip to Cape Cod.

http://www.prescription2000.com/Intervi ... cript.html
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks for sharing Dr. Goldstrich's interview, Spunky. I learn something new each time I read it. I agree; a low carb/low fat diet IS intriguing. I wonder why there's never been any research to support his supposition? Perhaps because of concerns that the naturally higher protein might lead to other problems: elevated IGF-1, kidney problems, and possibly osteoporosis?
Dr. Joe D. Golstritch: Whereas people that carry the 4 allele, either one occurrence of it as in 3,4 or in double occurrence as in 4,4, those folks seem to get huge increases in their LDL, especially their small dense LDL, when they eat fat, especially saturated fat, but all fat seems to play a role.
I notice this interview is a few years old. Perhaps science and our understanding of how E4 reacts to dietary fat has evolved since the interview took place. Yes, most E4 carriers do demonstrate elevations in LDL in response to dietary fat; but NOT small dense LDL. In fact the exact opposite is true. E4 carriers with higher fat diets have the lowest levels of small LDL. E4 carriers on low fat diets have the highest levels. https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/index.php?title=Biomarkers
Dr. Joe Goldstritch: My target is get the LDL as low as you can without having any neurological issues.

I have to admit, this scares me a little. At least Dr. Goldstritch acknowledges low LDL creates problems in cognition. It makes me wonder how responsible it is to advise a very low fat diet for E4s?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Sometimes a pic is worth a thousand words. This food pyramid represents the Mediterranean Diet. More and more research seems to suggest it is both cardio and neuro-protective.
image.jpg
Here's an excellent paper that outlining the reasoning behind the recommendations.
Traditional Dietary Recommendations for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: Do They Meet the Needs of Our Patients?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... po=53.7037
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Nice Julie, thats the low carb Mediterranean diet.
Traditional Mediterranean has more wholegrains, as in PREDIMED for instance, but I really like this one youve highlighted, because hyperinsulinaemia is so toxic for us. I am gravitating towards this myself, limiting my starchy carbs. My rationale is that there are much better nutrient dense foods, so why waste the calories and give my brain a glycaemic load that it certainly doesnt need?

I like to think of excercise at the base as well, as it provides us good chemicals for our brains, sorta like a food but we make it ourselves.