RECIPE for olive oil MAYO

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

RECIPE for olive oil MAYO

Post by Sandraz »

Hi!

I found a good easy recipe for making mayonnaise with olive oil. I know some are trying to eat more EVOO.
I mainly use this with a salmon salad, but you could add other spices and make other creamy dressings.

Here is the original link with pictures:
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3440774534/paleo-mayonnaise

1 large egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon white vinegar
3/4 cup macadamia nut oil or avocado oil or olive oil or a mix of two
**All ingredients should be at room temperature**

put all the ingredients except the oil in a large bowl and whisk until the yolk thickened and the color brightened (around 30 seconds).

Add 1/4 cup of the oil in a slow steady stream while whisking vigorously (~1 minute). To keep bowl in place, put it on a rubber mat and tie a towel around the base. If there’s someone else in the house, recruit them to slowly pour in the oil while you whisk.

After the oil is incorporated, slowly added the second 1/4 cup of oil and incorporated it the same way as the first (~30 seconds). Then add the last 1/4 cup of oil all at once (per the instructions) and whisk it to emulsify the mayo completely.

It doesn't make too much and stays good for several days.

Sandra Z
Sandra Z
E4,E4
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RECIPE for olive oil MAYO

Post by SpunkyPup »

how did it score on the taste test compared to say your favorite mayo.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I do a similar one (see below), but have about 50% luck. Sometimes it sets; sometimes it doesn't. What's your success rate?

1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 cup olive oil (not extra virgin)
Kosher salt, to taste
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

Mine has worked every time I have made it (so far). As far as the taste goes, it tastes like olive oil if olive oil is used !!
I am getting used to the flavor (out of necessity). Sometimes I use a tasteless oil, like macadamia nut oil or walnut oil.
Avacado oil is ok too, but then the mayo is kind of yellow (from egg yolk) and greenish (from the avocado). I imagine you could use MCT oil, but haven't tried that.

I particularly like it with salmon salad because then I don't notice the flavor bc salmon is so strong. I have also put in a packet of ranch dressing to make a dip and that was pretty good. So I guess I would have to say it is a different flavor. I never ate much store bought mayo before, so not even sure what that tastes like. ;)

Sandra Z
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

This is weird as we may have to do a 23andme type taste query. I do not think walnut oil is tasteless and has it's own taste, and I do not think Salmon has a strong flavor, but is mild. Salivary gland genetics at work here, it appears.