MCT 1202

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Scaredstiff1223
Contributor
Contributor

MCT 1202

Post by Scaredstiff1223 »

I’ve just read about MCT 1202 oil, and how it can help those with the APOE 4/4 Gene. Can somebody explain in non-medical terms, exactly how it helps, what to buy and where to buy it?

Thanks!
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: MCT 1202

Post by slacker »

Scaredstiff1223 wrote:I’ve just read about MCT 1202 oil, and how it can help those with the APOE 4/4 Gene. Can somebody explain in non-medical terms, exactly how it helps, what to buy and where to buy it?
Hi Scared;

It’s a great question, and may seem like a straight forward one, but in the cognitive health world, nothing is that easy. A simple explanation that everyone agrees on is elusive. But I will try to give a simple answer to a subject that is very complex.

MCT (mid chain triglyceride) oil, derived from coconut oil, is often used as another form of fat to help our bodies produce more ketones. Both ketones and glucose (sugar) can be used as sources of energy for the cells in our body, including the brain. As we age, the brain has a harder time using glucose. This is especially true for people who are insulin resistant. Having ketones on board can help meet energy requirements of the body.

Many of us try to reach low levels of nutritional ketosis to provide our bodies with a second form of energy. Some do this with plant based fats alone - nuts, avocados, olive oil. Others eat fatty fish, shellfish, and/or grass fed meats. I doubt that there are many of us that indulge in regular intake of high fat animal foods such as cheese, whipped cream, hamburger, and bacon.

MCT oils are high in saturated fat. Both Drs Bredesen and Gundry suggest that ApoE4s reduce saturated fats to help prevent cardio vascular disease (heart attack, stroke), another set of conditions that ApoE4s are at increased risk. Dr Bredesen views MCT as a useful temporary aid to reach ketosis until appropriate dietary changes can be implemented. Others are less concerned about saturated fat driving heart disease. Each person makes their own decision after careful reading of the literature.

I don’t think that MCT 1202 is available commercially. There are many products on the market.

I personally use BulletProof MCT 2 teaspoons in the morning. I find that with this form of additional fat, I am able to last longer until lunch with out "bottoming out". My mid morning hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) hardly ever occurs with the MCT oil. I still require 3 meals a day. Other brands of MCT were not as helpful for me. I have not had the abdominal cramping, diarrhea, or “keto flu” that others can experience. I’m also on a pretty low dose.

One approach does not work for everyone. Each individual can make the best personal decisions for themselves with some amount of reading of reputable sources of information.
Slacker
E4/E4