Percepta

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Shine
Contributor
Contributor

Percepta

Post by Shine »

Hello

I recently came across the supplement - Percepta
https://perceptabrain.com/neuroscientists/

I was curious if anyone else had heard anything about it and/or had personal experience with it?

Thanks
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Percepta

Post by circular »

I see this has Cat’s Claw, which Dr. Bredesen mentioned in a podcast can remove beta amyloid, but many think that since beta amyloid occurs as a protective response to pathogens and toxins, it’s important to address those before tinkering with removing the beta amyloid.

I’m not familiar with the use of oolong tea specifslly for brain health, but maybe it too is supposed to reduce beta amyloid.

Dr Rudi Tanzi is behind the product. I believe he’s the or one of the researchers who discovered the protective nature of beta amyloid.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Ah yes, the second product image generally spells out that both ingredients are intended to reduce beta amyloid plaque. It might be helpful, at that price, to know if the ingredients have been shown to reduce plaque in a dish, animals or humans.

Some other questions you might ask yourself...

1. Have you identified and addressed the causes of any protective plaque you may have?

2. Are there cheaper ways to reduce plaque?

3. Do you want to pay for a PET scan (expensive!) to verify if you even have significant levels of plaque, which could also serve as a baseline to see if the products works?

All that said, I’m sure I have and will always face — at least from time to time — various plaque inducing toxins and pathogens, yet I take curcumin daily for pain, which also binds beta amyloid. I’ve never been 100% comfortable with that, given my lack of knowledge as to what’s actually happening inside my brain.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Percepta - Cat's Claw - 2 new papers by Dr. Tanzi among others

Post by circular »

Two new papers about the cat's claw that Dr. Snow and Dr. Tanzi (among others) have researched have been published since this thread was posted. I wonder why Percepta isn't part of the Bredesen protocol, and whether any part of that protocol is believed to do what Percepta is purported to do - inhibit and remove AB plaques and tau tangles - but perhaps more effectively, cheaply, and/or safely.

As I wrote above in 2018, inhibiting and removing AB plaques and tau tangles may not always be a good thing since AB is protective against brain pathogens. It would help to know whether once a pathogen in the brain is 'tackled' by amyloid beta whether the plaques have done their job and can be removed. One would think so.

On the surface, this seems like quite a direct way to alter the progression of AD pathology, since AD depends first on AB, then on tau tangles, and finally on brain inflammation. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure that this supplement should underdo extensive human trials that, at least, include PET scans before and after and prove safety with long term use.

I also wonder whether, since ApoE4s tend to be hyper AB plague formers, this supplement could help us just by diminishing the brain's AB response to pathogens but not shutting it off completely, since we need it to some degree. Obviously this hasn't been studied, and no individual could predict what dosage they would personally need to strike a brain protective balance. :ugeek:

I haven't read these yet:

The Amazon rain forest plant Uncaria tomentosa (cat's claw) and its specific proanthocyanidin constituents are potent inhibitors and reducers of both brain plaques and tangles

In vitro comparison of major memory-support dietary supplements for their effectiveness in reduction/inhibition of beta-amyloid protein fibrils and tau protein tangles: key primary targets for memory loss
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I see it was included in Dr. Bredesen's et al paper, which also noted there have been no studies in humans:

Neuroprotective Herbs for the Management of Alzheimer's Disease
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

According to the Percepta website:
There are now a number of human clinical trials showing that the inner bark of cat’s claw (Uncaria tomentosa) improved memory, focus and concentration. In one study (1), a total of 63 individuals between the ages of 18 and 35 years old in a randomized, double blind controlled trial showed significant improvements in verbal memory and executive function within 45 days of daily treatment of a formula containing ~25% Cat’s claw (Uncaria tomentosa) bark.
1. Solomon, T.M. et al. Hum. Psychopharmacol. 31:135-143, 2016.
The only reference to a human trial is to A randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled, parallel group, efficacy study of alpha BRAIN® administered orally. This tells us exactly nothing about Cat's Claw, since the Alpha Brain supplement studied also includes about nine other ingredients. If that's the best the Percepta website can offer of 'a number of human clinical trials showing that the inner bark of cat’s claw (Uncaria tomentosa) improved memory, focus and concentration,' I'm underwhelmed.

Rudi Tanzi, a co-founder of the company that makes Percepta, said in the 2018 Press Release announcing the product:
Percepta® is a … unique, natural, plant-based supplement with strong potential for mitigating the effects of normal age-related memory loss. [Emphasis added]
I wish there were more to go on, but I like the simple approach of this supplement. Decrease AB, thus tangles, thus neuroinflammation … not that there aren't other things to address.