would hsv vaccines make AD rare?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: would hsv vaccines make AD rare?

Post by circular »

My current doc won't prescribe the 500 mg/day of Valacyclovir for prevention. She said and clearly believed that it makes complete sense, but that there's not enough evidence to support her prescribing it. Anyone know of any good studies on this? Meanwhile I still need to look up the herbs that are supposed to work. There are three in particular.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

Fiver wrote:So here is my idea, probably full of holes. Just putting it out there for debate.
Fiver, this is interesting, and I'd be curious to know what others think. Do you have a nice resource on HDACis in the Alzheimer's context, so that I can try to understand that aspect of your idea better? I'm thinking a review paper would be great, but if not, no worries. I can Google :D
4/4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

By the way, this link reports lower levels of HDAC as Alzheimer's progresses: https://www.alzforum.org/news/conferenc ... rs-disease.
4/4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

This thread is making me curious about Alzheimer's prevalence in HIV-positive people taking ARV drugs. I'm not sure how well this has been studied, but from: https://www.biocentury.com/bc-extra/pre ... -suggests-:
The researchers found that patients taking antiretroviral drugs for extended periods rarely developed AD. Chun said, "Based on the epidemiology, we would expect to see 2,000 to 3,000 Alzheimer's disease patients" among HIV patients, yet there was only a single report of a verified AD case in 2016.
4/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Rainbow, interesting research. Just got the another alert about this research. For a little more about the research, here's the Science Daily take: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 135126.htm

And the abstract can be found at https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0718-6.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Fiver wrote:Sulforaphane from broccoli sprouts is also a HDACi. Simply treating someone with HDACis tends to reawaken have infections, causing outbreaks of things like cold sores.
Is this true?

I used a sulforaphane supplement for some months and didn't notice this...
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

Super interesting fiver.
E3/E4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Rainbow, that's a very interesting question about those treated for HIV with anti-virals. I don't know anything about it but I'll add it to my reading list.

NewRon, I have seen some evidence for sulforaphane and other HDACis activating viral outbreaks. But I can't locate the study right now. It'll turn up. I use a reference archiving software program but I haven't entered everything for a little while. I also have a few anecdotal stories about it. But it's a good and fair question. I should have that at my fingertips - :roll: - it's been a busy week.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Fiver wrote: NewRon, I have seen some evidence for sulforaphane and other HDACis activating viral outbreaks. But I can't locate the study right now. It'll turn up. I use a reference archiving software program but I haven't entered everything for a little while. I also have a few anecdotal stories about it. But it's a good and fair question. I should have that at my fingertips - :roll: - it's been a busy week.
Thanks.

Everybody seems keen on sulforaphane at the moment, so it would seem odd if it aggravated HSV and consequently AD as a result.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Sulforaphane’s activity as a HDACi seems to correct one problem of apoe4s, that is having too much HDAC activity. HDACs would encourage sections of DNA to wrap tightly around histones, making them less available for transcription - like putting them down for a nap. Some of these genes are necessary for good clearance of AB by the endosomal/lysosomal system. HDACis can unwind these sections of DNA, creating a more apoe3/2 phenotype.

At least this is the theory, supported by pretty good data.

It seems the hsv virus genomic sequences hide in these stretches of DNA - I need to learn more about this - so that HDACis can reawaken them too.

The idea, well my crazy idea anyway, is that one would need to combine HDACis and antivirals to get the benefit eithout reactivation of hsv. Unless somekne were lucky enough to be one of the few uninfected.

Again, just my non-expert hypothesis.

There are other HDACis more comminly used as anticancer and anti-migraine drugs.