An informal survey on Fasting

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: An informal survey on Fasting

Post by mike »

Tincup wrote:Between May '17 and Jan '18 did 19 of these - weight stable when looked at from beginning of one fasting cycle to next. My BMI is around 24.
Tincup, can you say more about this period? I read about it in the post Theresa mentioned, but you were in the middle of it then. Were there any specific results that you saw from this series of fasts? You stopped, them, so maybe not much? From the research with mice, it was suggested that a series of fasts like this could cause beta cells to regrow. Were you trying for something like this?

Also, I too noticed a change in my perception to food after doing multi-day fasts. No one meal is that important anymore...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

From 179 to 161 in maybe 2 or 3 months. I hit 159 once and decided that was too much. I am 6'0". At the end of that period I felt a bit weak and tired. I think it was a little too much too fast....though I wasn't really trying to lose weight, just to be good about the following the plan. I relaxed a bit and am weight stable around 165 now. I used chronometer's online calculator for a while to get a handle on calories and macro-nutrient ratios, and occasionally re-check myself.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

1. Apoe4 status (4/4, 4/3, etc.). 3/4
2. Type of fasting (with description - e.g. Multi day water fast,13 to 17 days, or IF with 6 hours eating, 18 hours fasting)
IF almost everyday 12 -16 hour overnight, sometimes longer. generally eat 2 meal a day now for most days, then relax and eat more once or twice a week to maintain weight. Did one 2 day fast and one 3 day fast this year.
3. Reason for fasting. Autophagy & microbiome health
4. How difficult did you find it (scale 1= Not difficult to 5 = Very difficult) 1. No problem with hunger ever regardless of fasting duration. Nor with energy.
5. Were you on in a keto diet prior to the fast (describe - e.g. Low carb, high fat, moderate mostly vegetarian protein) Keto-flex for about a year and a half. Low carb, high fat. Have eaten more saturated fats this year than in the last decade, mainly in the form of goat’s milk, goat and sheep cheeses. Occasional pastured meat. Regular consumption of eggs and fish. Lots of veggies. Was limiting fruit to some berries now and then but relaxed that over this summer when it was irresistible, ripening on trees and vines in my fields.
6. What results have you observed[/quote] Enjoyed the multi day fasts since it was very freeing not to have to think about food. But worried about losing weight since the multi-day fasts did cause me to lose lbs and that is not a goal. Concerned with sustaining weight long term.
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

1. 4/4
2. Attempt 12-16 hours IF most days. Generally have coffee with a lot of fat (coconut oil, MCT, cream) and stevia (no sugar) and then push breakfast as late as possible, while also listening to my body. I have not attempted any longer fasts.
3. Reason: mostly for brain health.
4. Difficulty: 2 (Only somewhat difficult, maybe because I eased into it and am not super strict; if I’m not up for it, I don’t do it.
5. Although I was not on a strict Leto diet prior to experimenting with IF, I was attempting to lean toward keto principles (moderately high fat, low to moderate carbs, low sugar, moderate protein, and lots of veggies)
6. Benefits observed: fewer low-blood-sugar/hangry moments, not worrying about suddenly being hungry while running errands, and less anxiety.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Anna wrote:2. Attempt 12-16 hours IF most days. Generally have coffee with a lot of fat (coconut oil, MCT, cream) and stevia (no sugar) and then push breakfast as late as possible, while also listening to my body. I have not attempted any longer fasts.
Anna, not sure why you are pushing out your "breakfast" when you are really breaking your fast with your coffee loaded with fat...? If you had black coffee early, and wait to add the fats until your breakfast, then you would be extending your fast. At least that is my understanding - anyone else?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

mike wrote:
Tincup wrote:Between May '17 and Jan '18 did 19 of these - weight stable when looked at from beginning of one fasting cycle to next. My BMI is around 24.
Tincup, can you say more about this period? I read about it in the post Theresa mentioned, but you were in the middle of it then. Were there any specific results that you saw from this series of fasts? You stopped, them, so maybe not much? From the research with mice, it was suggested that a series of fasts like this could cause beta cells to regrow. Were you trying for something like this?

Also, I too noticed a change in my perception to food after doing multi-day fasts. No one meal is that important anymore...
Nothing very specific. I think my congestion lowered even more during the fasts. On Longo's beta cell research, in a Rhonda Patrick interview with Guido Kroemer, Kromer noted that mice will lose 20% of their bodyweight when fasted two days. People like Longo mention 5 days to get autophagy, but a human might need a 30 or 40 day fast to get the same "signal" from fasting as the mice.

I've had afib for 14 years. I control it extremely well with a lack of endurance training (chronic fitness was my path to afib) and very high dose magnesium (currently around 3 g/day). I thought maybe I could do some of the regrowing the heart, but my experiment didn't seem to cause that. However a friend did have interesting results, converting to NSR after 16 or so months of a continuous afib episode. He's never given me specifics, but I know it involves keto and fasting for various lengths (up to maybe 10 days).

I still fast, just not quite as frequently. It is more fun to eat, even though fasting isn't particularly hard for me... I just did a two day fast as I was traveling.
Tincup
E3,E4
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

mike wrote:Anna, not sure why you are pushing out your "breakfast" when you are really breaking your fast with your coffee loaded with fat...? If you had black coffee early, and wait to add the fats until your breakfast, then you would be extending your fast. At least that is my understanding - anyone else?
Mike, I am definitely not eligible for any fasting awards, nor am I an expert on fasting for autophagy. But here are the reasons for my approach. 1) I am just not up for doing a "better" job at fasting; I am dealing with significant immune system challenges (autoimmune and infectious disease), and I'm afraid that pushing through hunger will do more harm than good. 2) I need to NOT lose weight. 3) I can often taste ketones on my breath, and my husband complains about smelling ketones (yes, even after the coffee with stevia and fat), so I don't think I'm completely stopping my fast with my coffee. 4) Some supplements and prescriptions do better with some fat. 5) Black coffee: yuk! and ouch! (to my stomach). :lol:

There seems to be a lot of debate about the impact of disrupting a fast with coffee and/or fat on autophagy. I would love to hear what others have to say about this.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

I also can taste ketones occasionally. I keep waiting for my dog to react....they're supposed to detect things like this right? Well, my mutant labradoodle either has a poor nose or figures that if I die he'll finally get to sleep on the bed. :)
genie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by genie »

1. Apoe4 status (4/4)
2. Type of fasting (OMAD, daily, eat at 11-12 (noon), fast 23 hrs; Sundays eat small breakfast before hiking, then lunch at noon, 19/5 )
3. Reason for fasting - reverse diabetes, normalize weight, increase energy, prevent Alzheimer's
4. How difficult did you find it (scale 1= Not difficult to 5 = Very difficult) - 1 (very easy once fat-adapted in 7-10 days)
5. Were you on in a keto diet prior to the fast (yes, Low carb, healthy fat, moderate animal protein) - daily routine
6. What results have you observed - reversed Type 2 Diabetes in 3 months, lost 30 lbs (BMI normal), more energy, vitality, exercise tolerance, lost all food addictions; it's a win-win.
Last edited by genie on Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kenny4/4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kenny4/4 »

1. Apoe- (4/4)

2. Type of fasting -16/8 (for one year) with 22/2 as of late but not as consistent as I would like. I took a 3 month break this summer from strict adherence to fasting. Once per week I might cheat on my fasts. I have done two 5 day Modified Fasts per my Valter Longo reading with macros kept the same as his Prolon products.

3. Reason for fasting - Prevent Alzheimer's... I have no real health concerns except for this. The experience -I like unique experiences that are challenging.

4. How difficult did you find it (scale 1= Not difficult to 5 = Very difficult) - 2.5 It was a 5 when I first started the 16/8 1 year ago... I had the 1000 yd stare of a distance runner bonking and I couldn't think clearly. Now it is very easy to do 16/8 or 22/2 Fasts. During the 5 day fasts I had 1 hour of bliss and 1 hour of absolutly hating it per day so again about a 2.5 average.

5. Were you on a keto diet prior to the fasts?-No, I was a carboholic 1 year ago. I am now in endogenous Ketosis for 2.5 hrs a day when 16/8 fasting and 8.5 hrs when 22/2 fasting.
Before the two 5 day fasts I have done in the past 2.5 months I was Keto adapted but I would bounce in and out of Ketosis during the day as I eat some carbs that bring me out for a 8-10 hr period. On the 5 day fasts I was in Ketosis most of the time except briefly postprandial. I exercised each day with 4 mile runs and Keto bonked the 4 th day (That was a wierd experience).

6. What results have you observed - I don't know. I would say my thinking is poorer while fasting or in Ketosis for a long time as my Duplicate Bridge playing gets pretty poor in these states. I would say when I am out of Ketosis and eat well with some, but not gobs of carbs my thinking is clearer than 1.5 years ago. I have no empirical evidence so all this is a guess.