Magnesium Threonate Reverses AD in Mice

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Magnesium Threonate Reverses AD in Mice

Post by Julie G »

Magnesium Levels Vital to Brain Health as Population Ages
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 142343.htm
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Magnesium Threonate Reverses AD in Mice

Post by LillyBritches »

Thanks, sweetie! And, based on that study, I ordered this two days ago (should be delivered today):

I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

And THANK you for that link :D I'm ordering now. How 'bout sharing your full list of supplements? I'd share mine, but I love our Philly too much...don't want to cause bodily harm :lol:
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

A RCT has since been done with humans that demonstrated a positive cognitive effect.

Efficacy and Safety of MMFS-01, a Synapse Density Enhancer, for Treating Cognitive Impairment in Older Adults: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial
https://content.iospress.com/articles/j ... /jad150538

My (4/4) trial resulted in a negative effect on my cognition. I wondered if anyone else has experienced the same. In reading this study, I noticed that the RBC concentration of magnesium was found to correlate with cognitive improvements. Four folks in their dataset did not show improvement leading me to wonder about the mechanism responsible for my negative experience. I suspect that I likely reduced my regular 1,500-2,000 mg dose of magnesium citrate by 500 mg during my MagT trial leading me to wonder if my RBC level may have dropped. (I'm unsure how MagT vs. magnesium citrate affects RBC level.) Also, given my connective tissue disorder (and relatively high supplementation) I may just have trouble retaining it due to intracellular leakiness... and perhaps the switching from one form to another reduced my RBC?
We noticed that the composite scores of subjects in the treatment group did not improve uniformly and in particular, four subjects had little or no improvement after 12 weeks of treatment. Our pre-clinical studies indicate that the increase in intracellular magnesium concentration in neurons is essential for the increase in synapse density (unpublished data) and elevation of CSF magnesium is an important intermediary molecule in the mechanism of action through which our compound leads to an improvement in cognitive abilities [8]. In principle, the increase in intracellular magnesium in neurons should be a predictor of the improvement of cognitive abilities. Unfortunately, current technology does not permit safe quantification of intracellular magnesium of neurons in human. Therefore, we decided to use intracellular magnesium of RBCs as a surrogate marker. Although intracellular magnesium in peripheral cells may not be a true indicator of brain magnesium, it provided a reference for the loading effectiveness of magnesium into cells.
Remarkably, the percent change of RBC intracellular magnesium concentration predicted, with statistical significance, the enhancement in overall cognitive ability (composite score) in the MMFS-01 group (R = 0.49; p = 0.021; Fig. 3G), but not in the placebo group (R =0.22; p = 0.334; Fig. 3F). Controlling for the effects of baseline composite score (see below), the correlation between the percent change of RBC intracellular magnesium concentration and the change in composite score at Week 12 further improved (denoted as R’ = 0.54; p = 0.012; Fig. 3G), with no significant change in the placebo group (R’ = 0.25, p = 0.294; Fig. 3F).
I'm wondering if my experience was unique. Has anyone else experienced a worsening of cognition with magnesium threonate? Unfortunately, the ApoE4 variable hasn't been studied leading me to wonder if this is playing a part. I'm also wondering if our leakier BBBs could play a part. Perhaps this more neurally bio-available form is too sedative for us? In the absence of a study, this is the BEST place to find that answer. Please share your experiences. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Roamingseer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Roamingseer »

The hyperlink to sciencedaily didn’t work for me. A little digging indicates that the authors retracted the paper due to errors, see https://retractionwatch.com/2014/04/18/ ... s-in-mice/.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Interesting, Roamingseer. The study I cited was done by the same team and involves humans. Has that one been retracted as well?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Just got this result today:
Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 7.27.50 PM.png
(if you can't read, RBC mag at 7.9, high end of normal is 6.8)

A year ago, thought it might be too high, so started backing off. I keep it high to keep afib in remission (and have done so for 14 years). I chatted with Mercola about it and he said, "we really don't know, might be what you need." Well he apparently was correct, at least for my afib, as when I backed off, I started to have afib breakthroughs. I'm now back to 2.5 g/day and the afib is back in remission all the time. I could never tell any difference in Threonate. For my afib, any mag works. I even make my own milk of magnesia by putting mag hydroxide powder in water in the normal MoM proportions. Just taking that straight works, though I usually combine with organic apple cider vinegar to make mag acetate (which converts to mag bicarb in the body). Sometimes I take di-magnesium malate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Didn't notice any difference with threonate, so went back to regular magnesium after the bottle was done.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I don't know if I can really tell the difference between the different forms of magnesium either. Right now, I'm using NaturalStacks Magtech supplement which has a blend of Mg Glyginate + Taurate + Threonate. I usually just take it after dinner. The Mg threonate form on it's own seems relatively low in elemental Mg. I do like magnesium malate.
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jafa »

Likewise, I do not feel any different on threonate. Almost finished my first bottle.