Hydrogen Sulfide SIBO

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hydrogen Sulfide SIBO

Post by TheBrain »

Rebekah.s.johnson wrote:Thank you both for your reply!

I actually found this group via searching hydrogen sulfide sibo. I have never had genetic testing done so I don’t know if I have the gene this group was founded for. I did read through this thread and have found the links to be helpful. Best of luck to you all in your journey.
Thank you, Rebekah. Best of luck to you on your SIBO journey!
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Julie G wrote:
Just came across this article by Nigh about SIBO and his theory on why SIBO is not a "problem," but an adaptation to help the body get sulfates. So, he posits that if you don't treat the underlying sulfate deficiency, treating SIBO with antibiotics often fails.

It's a quick read, but with references of how he developed his thinking.

https://ndnr.com/gastrointestinal/sibo- ... n-sulfide/
Now, THIS is fascinating. Thanks, Susan! Out of curiosity, I wonder how it relates for those of us with methane predominant SIBO. Any links you can point me towards that would help me better understand the relationship between hydrogen sulfide and methane?
I haven't come across anything other than a mention of the connection in this podcast:

SIBO and Hydrogen Sulfide with Dr Greg Nigh

The show notes say: "What is the connection between Dr Nigh’s success with methane dominant SIBO clients and the sulfur protocol? How might glyphosate toxicity play into this?"

It's been a while since I listened to this podcast, so I don't recall what he said specifically about this connection.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Julie G wrote:
Out of curiosity, I wonder how it relates for those of us with methane predominant SIBO. Any links you can point me towards that would help me better understand the relationship between hydrogen sulfide and methane?
Haven't done much research into SIBO personally. Anyone else have some links for Julie's question?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks, Susan and Brain! From what I could glean, no one is quite sure of the relationship between the two gasses, BUT Dr. Nigh is finding that his high methane patients also resolve with the same approach. It appears that a sulfur deficiency is downstream of both presentations. I'm personally finding this very surprising as my diet is VERY high in sulfur, green leafy vegs, onions, leaks, scallions, garlics, nuts, some eggs and seafood. It makes me wonder about other messed up pathways or even glyphosate exposure... I can't wait to learn more. Thanks to you both for turning me onto this. Feels important.
smeagol
New User
New User

Post by smeagol »

Hello all,

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences, which is helpful and comforting.

Have any of you fixed their hydrogen sulfide SIBO by now, and if so, how?

I was wondering if anyone thinks an elemental diet is to be recommended for HS SIBO. From what I have understood an elemental diet will still contain sulfur compounds, which leads me to thinking it would not help.

Right now I'm doing a low-sulfur diet, which seems to reduce symptoms a bit, but I don't know if it will cure the SIBO. Does anyone have experience with this?
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

smeagol wrote:...Have any of you fixed their hydrogen sulfide SIBO by now, and if so, how?

I was wondering if anyone thinks an elemental diet is to be recommended for HS SIBO. From what I have understood an elemental diet will still contain sulfur compounds, which leads me to thinking it would not help.

Right now I'm doing a low-sulfur diet, which seems to reduce symptoms a bit, but I don't know if it will cure the SIBO. Does anyone have experience with this?
Welcome smeagol!
I'm guessing you're a fan of the Lord of the Rings. If so, you have friends for that reason also, in addition to your interest in healing your gut and feeling healthier. As you have discovered, SIBO is tricky to diagnose and tricky to treat, and is not specific to ApoE 4.

Here's a nice overview of the complexity and some of the approaches, by a doctor who works with Dr. Chris Kresser, who is well-known in the field of functional medicine What Causes SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) and Why It’s so Hard to Treat. In that article, she also links to a podcast with Dr. Kresser in which he discusses some OTC botanicals that he thinks are helpful in treating SIBO. Since he also recommends a fairly high saturated fat content in his diet, some people with Apoe 4 are cautious about what they use from his recommendations. As he says, it's best to work with a health care practitioner if you can to figure out what your specific underlying factors for SIBO have been.

I think the "elemental" diet you refer to is probably another term for an "elimination" diet, which is sometimes also called a FODMAP diet. You can find lots of info on that on Google, but I know that my son found the FODMAP diet difficult to follow when it was suggested for IBS.

Here is a link to the topics that have discussed SIBO and elimination diets, in addition to this one:
SIBO + Elimination Diet threads.

And here is a long list of posts that mention SIBO: SIBO

It may be helpful for you to check out our "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website for easy tips on how to search, how to quote users so they are notified of your post, and how to find your way in the maze of posts!

We're glad you found Apoe4.Info and hope you are feeling progress in your quest for improved health!
4/4 and still an optimist!